Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2020, 02:18 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PIXII Your dream camera was created

hello!

I guess many Pentax users should be excited somewhat. Pity it's not Ricoh Pentax who came up with it, but I remember heated discussions about Pentax and Video features, and there were many vocal Pentaxians who were so against accepting that photography and videography nowadays come together that they expressed desire for a camera, that came with no video features and/or screen etc. And that wish just came true!
Pixii cameras are for your service.
I am curious what you think about that?

Pixii is here ?*the $3,000 camera with Leica mount, no LCD and no card slot | Digital Camera World

07-07-2020, 02:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Seems a bit pricey.

I wouldn't miss the video, but I've always said that it is best to include features like that in order to make more sales. Of course, when Leica is getting 3000 dollars for an APS-C camera, they don't need to sell many of them to break even.
07-07-2020, 03:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The 8GB is already sold out. It's an ok approach and concept. What puts me off is this 8/4gb scheme, you don't need to be so-apple.
07-07-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If it was a 35mm film rangefinder with M mount I'd be interested; but the Zeiss Ikon ZM did that already, with a viewfinder better than Leica. Still didn't sell well.

07-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

11mp sensor? 320 native iso. Weird spec, I'm guessing it's not just an off the shelf sony sensor?

I wouldn't be interested personally, but I guess there must be a market for it if they did their research properly.
07-08-2020, 04:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

To summarize: they cut costs by removing components essential to make this a fully functional device, and increased the price.
The sensor is a cheap one with global shutter so they won't have to include a mechanical shutter.

Guys, this is the opposite of a Pentax.
07-08-2020, 04:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Used Leica M9's go for that kind of money. I don't know why I would want this camera instead of going the used M9 route.

It seems like if someone wants a digital aps-c camera to use m-mount glass on, they get a Fuji of some sort, a mount adapter (like the one with a macro helicoid incorporated) and go to town. That's what I would do.

07-08-2020, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Me thinks this is rubbish. Sorry, I just can't think of a more diplomatic way to put it.
  • It's manual focus only.
  • Rangefinder focusing is an acquired taste. Very long and very wide lenses are not supported.
  • It takes very expensive Leica M lenses.
  • With the APS-C crop factor, what are the ultra wide angle options?
  • An eleven megapixel APS-C sensor? In 2020?
  • No memory card. I am not convinced. Sure, the pictures gets sent to your phone. In raw format, that is not exactly instantaneous.
  • For all the lack of things electronic, it could be more compact than it is. I suppose it's the rangefinder mechanism that uses up space.
All this for medium format money? Nah.

Last edited by Wasp; 07-08-2020 at 06:23 AM.
07-08-2020, 06:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't know of any M mount lenses that offer autofocus. Not to say it isn't possible, like the K mount lenses from the 80's that had integrated AF sensing and motors in the lens, but... The sensor plane could also be moved to provide AF, that's been done on a few film cameras, but it sounds like a real engineering challenge.

M mount does not mean only glass from Leica. 7Artisans and Voigtlander sell M glass that isn't so crazy costly, and there's stuff from the past from companies like Minolta. That said, I agree on the ultra-wide options being limited for an APS-C M-mount camera.

The Voigtlander 28mm f2 would be nice for something like this. But I think I'd rather have that lens on something like a Fuji XPro-3 or X-T30. I hope these folks do okay but I don't have high hopes for them and this camera.
07-08-2020, 06:45 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't use auto-mis-focus on any camera, so M mount is fine for me for 135mm and wider. However, the rangefinder base length of the PIXII is so short I'd limit it to 90 minimum f4 or 50 minimum f2 and shorter lenses. A rangefinder focuses fine with ultra-wide lenses (I use 21 on Leica), but for precise framing you need an accessory finder - so focus with the RF, shift your eye to the VF and frame - but I can usually judge the 21 FOV well enough to skip the accessory finder. One shortcoming with ultra wide is the minimum focus distance of about 28" with an RF, but some lenses focus closer even though the RF won't track that close.
I agree the price of the PIXII (an unproven model and mfgr) is high enough that a used digital Leica is more attractive. It's "gadgety" enough to attract the younger set, and the easy transfer of images to a phone will win over some as well, as that is weak in Leica. (I still prefer film, so I'm not a target customer.)
07-08-2020, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I don't use auto-mis-focus on any camera, so M mount is fine for me for 135mm and wider. However, the rangefinder base length of the PIXII is so short I'd limit it to 90 minimum f4 or 50 minimum f2 and shorter lenses. A rangefinder focuses fine with ultra-wide lenses (I use 21 on Leica), but for precise framing you need an accessory finder - so focus with the RF, shift your eye to the VF and frame - but I can usually judge the 21 FOV well enough to skip the accessory finder. One shortcoming with ultra wide is the minimum focus distance of about 28" with an RF, but some lenses focus closer even though the RF won't track that close.
I agree the price of the PIXII (an unproven model and mfgr) is high enough that a used digital Leica is more attractive. It's "gadgety" enough to attract the younger set, and the easy transfer of images to a phone will win over some as well, as that is weak in Leica. (I still prefer film, so I'm not a target customer.)
Young users are attracted to tech specs imo, and I don't see anything there that would attract them. Low res, no af, high price, no video (again, younger users tend to want that). Just the techy looks, and the ability to view photos on the phone really. It's not "retro" enough to attract hipsters either. In my eyes this is a rather aimless product, as others have said, I'd rather get a fuji apsc, or a used Leica for that kind of money.

Also, 8gb is like a slap in the face. Ssd storage is super cheap these days. I purchased super fast nvme m.2 ssd storage for my pc for $110 for 1TB. And that was last November, there are better deals out there. This little storage for such an expensive camera is a joke.

Last edited by awscreo; 07-08-2020 at 06:56 AM.
07-08-2020, 06:59 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Danas_Anis Quote
hello!

I guess many Pentax users should be excited somewhat. Pity it's not Ricoh Pentax who came up with it, but I remember heated discussions about Pentax and Video features, and there were many vocal Pentaxians who were so against accepting that photography and videography nowadays come together that they expressed desire for a camera, that came with no video features and/or screen etc. And that wish just came true!
Pixii cameras are for your service.
I am curious what you think about that?

Pixii is here ?*the $3,000 camera with Leica mount, no LCD and no card slot | Digital Camera World
Wow, all that for a mere $3,000!
07-08-2020, 06:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I wouldn't buy something like this even for fifty bucks.
So when I take a photo I need to looks at my phone?

Sorry, phones are still phones (with cameras). This is not designed for photographers, rather it's for phone- photography people with accessory gadget.
07-08-2020, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Wow, all that for a mere $3,000!
Plus the cost of a high-end phone...
07-08-2020, 08:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Plus the cost of a high-end phone...
Gamers will understand