Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2020, 12:25 PM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I would think that the percentage of time with the mirror up increases at increasing frame rate and this would make it all the more important to have a higher check sampling speed to make tracking reliable (or/and use predictive algorithms to make AF keep going while the mirror is up). Logic says that sampling rate for single shot is less important because you won't mind too much if it takes the camera 0.3 or 0.1 seconds to lock focus - AF.S is certainly fast enough for me and feels limited more by what the motors can get

The correlation ought to be more direct with mirrorless cameras as they only have the shutter time to account for, of course.
I edited after you posted. The edit addresses some of this. LINK

As for the mirror-up time for each cycle, it is always travel time + shutter time and is generally constant for shutter speeds at X-sync and above, though some shutters increase curtain speed at the very high end. Rest time between mirror down and mirror up is constant and depends on the time to flush the shot buffer. It is during the rest time that focus actions may be done. Whether sampling rate is adequate depends on how much subject distance changes while the mirror is down, the same as when not doing a burst shot. An area of uncertainty remains in that the subject might have moved OOF while the mirror is rising.

Steve