Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another Canon DSLR line dies

Canon's 5D DSLR Line is Dead: Report

07-20-2020, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot of people at Canon must be nervous these days, they've put a lot of eggs into the mirrorless basket, and they wouldn't drop the 5D line if it was selling. Some Canonites are probably watching the Pentax Values video and thinking.
07-20-2020, 06:29 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Ricoh will soon dominate the DSLR market. Canon and Nikon will all but abandon DSLRs. It's good news for Ricoh.The market for DSLRs is going to be very small, but Ricoh will own it.
07-20-2020, 06:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess Canon is making their bets on MILC systems.

07-20-2020, 07:06 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Canon announced some time ago that their strategic plan included cessation tapered curtailment of EOS product development as well as end of life for the mount and supporting cameras and lenses.

Steve
07-20-2020, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I think it makes sense based on what their plan seems to be which is to go mirrorless.

But it's also proof that Ricoh/Pentax has the right approach given that there will be a market for optical viewfinder cameras for people who like them like me. And Canon especially is probably thinking they are too big to provide for that market when it becomes more of a niche. They don't do niche markets, Pentax does.
07-20-2020, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

If this true, I am sure Pentax have got wind of it and that a great reason to make the video regarding DSLR only in their future.

07-20-2020, 07:48 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Canon is banking on the R5 and R6 which are generating a lot of fuss.
Is it official? In the article Petapixel is quoting Canon Rumors that they are hearing from a reliable source that there will not be a Canon 5D Mark V.
07-20-2020, 08:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Link to the original article: There will not be an EOS 5D Mark V [CR2] | Canon Rumors

QuoteQuote:
The same source adds that Canon is obviously aware of the popularity of the 5D line and the fact that there are still a lot of shooters that will prefer the DSLR experience. The source suspects that there is some kind of development going on to appease those users, but didn’t know exactly what it was.
07-21-2020, 12:05 AM   #10
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Canon still have the 6D line going, maybe they are only having one ff line not two.

Dave
07-21-2020, 05:00 AM - 2 Likes   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
A lot of people at Canon must be nervous these days, they've put a lot of eggs into the mirrorless basket, and they wouldn't drop the 5D line if it was selling. Some Canonites are probably watching the Pentax Values video and thinking.

I am one of them! Although not a "Canonite", as I also own Nikon equipment, I spent money on Canon bodies and glass (7dmk2, 6dmk2, L series lenses and USM lenses). I also have Nikon gear (D750, D200's plus a bunch of Nikon glass).

The three strikes for me have been:

1. Canon announcing it will only focus on mirrorless technology from this point forward.

2. Canon announcing the end of the 5D line (as well as the 7D line per rumours).

3. Pentax issuing statement that it will continue with DSLR's.

While I currently own a bunch of Canon and Nikon gear (both full frame and cropped sensor plus Panasonic m4/3 equipment), I look forward to buying into Pentax because of the loyalty to their customers.
07-21-2020, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

After years of asking us if we worried about Pentax going under and not being able to get bodies for our expensive glass, lo and behold, it's Canon shooters who are going to have the issue. As long as they have the 6D and 1Dx, they'll still be a presence in the market. Cancelling the 5d has me scratching my head. 3/4s of the Canon shooters I've met in the wild were shooting Mark IVs. IN terms of visibility that and the Nikon D850 seem to be the going things. So, if this happens, it will certainly be a surprise.

But then, I see more high end shooters than most around here. $20,000 in camera gear isn't at all unusual.

Last edited by normhead; 07-21-2020 at 01:23 PM.
07-21-2020, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Now we just have to wait for Nikon to discontinue their D850 and Pentax will rule enthusiast DSLR land. It is only a matter of time for Canonikon to come up with a pro grade mirrorless alternative to the D6/ 1Dx Mk III and Pentax will be the King of DSLRs.

---------- Post added 21-07-20 at 14:20 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
it's Canon shooters who are going to have the issue
They can simply use the R5 With EF to RF adapter.
07-21-2020, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Now we just have to wait for Nikon to discontinue their D850 and Pentax will rule enthusiast DSLR land. It is only a matter of time for Canonikon to come up with a pro grade mirrorless alternative to the D6/ 1Dx Mk III and Pentax will be the King of DSLRs.

---------- Post added 21-07-20 at 14:20 ----------

They can simply use the R5 With EF to RF adapter.
If you've read the lens Rentals evaluation about adapters, they are just one more thing that can go wrong.

And if you want a DSLR that means nothing.

After all the whining about FF, you have to know, people want to shoot their lenses on a the system it was designed for. Some people like what they have and bought into the system believing it would be there going forward. You honestly think they won't feel betrayed?

I'm astounded a Pentaxian would even suggest that they won't. We still have people begging Pentax to re-support the M42 pin.

My guess is Canon is pulling a Save Jobs, and severely simplifying their product line. I also suspect they got caught with their pants down, needing a huge influx in capital for mirroless lenses, just when Covid killed their cash flow.

Last edited by normhead; 07-21-2020 at 01:24 PM.
07-21-2020, 07:25 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My guess is Canon is pulling a Save Jobs, and severely simplifying their product line. I also suspect they got caught with their pants down, needing a huge influx in capital for mirroless lenses, just when Covid killed they cash flow.
Well the way I see it is, they introduced a couple new lines of cameras, so they have to stop at least a couple of old lines - otherwise they'd be expanding the business in a time the market is declining.

The decision to stop the 5D, 7D and God knows whatever else - we don't really know for sure what was started and what was stopped, has likely been made the moment they decided to start the R lines. From my knowledge of how businesses work, that is the way they would do things.

The same way that Pentax decided to take more years between camera models and didn't tell us back in... 2016 or so when they probably made that decision...