Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2020, 09:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Dedicated Body for Wildlife

Howdy-

I'll start by saying I like my Pentax gear very much, now shooting with a KP.

I've been thinking about getting more into wildlife photography, 150-450 purchase etc., but I can't seem to find much about Pentax and wildlife. Everything is seems to be along the lines of "Pentax can do wildlife OK, but if you really want to get serious about it you should really shoot X, Y or Z."

I wonder if I should buy something like a used Nikon D500 and wildlife lens(es), and keep that dedicated to wildlife work. Keep my Pentax for other day to day.

Anyone done something similar, or have you found Pentax excellent for long term wildlife work? I was thinking of KP/150-450/battery grip, until I came upon this dilemna.

Thanks in advance.

08-21-2020, 09:47 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I were in your shoes, I would wait a couple months and see what the K-New has to offer. There is realistic hope - perhaps even to the point of expectation - that the K-New will feature high-level continuous-AF performance.

Have you checked out the 300mm+ Lens Club and the Wildlife photography thread?

My K-3 II + grip is primarily my wildlife camera. I generally use my K-70 and K-01 for everything else.
08-22-2020, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the 150-450 added to your KP will be an excellent tool for wildlife, and when the K-new comes out it will be even better. Wildlife is more about knowing the wildlife, where to be and when to be there, and skill with your gear. You may get better results using ultra expensive f2.8 long lenses, but enough to justify the expense? If you do want to try something different rent some gear. If you get everything right in your shooting, You’ll be hard pressed to get IQ as good as the KP.
08-22-2020, 06:13 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I also recommend the D FA 150-450mm

I use the K 3 and K 3 II with grips with the lenses below

check out the threads if you haven't already:

QuoteQuote:
HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 (APS-C)
Introduction
The long-awaited HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW telephoto zoom made its debut in early May, 2015 as the first of an upcoming series of Pentax full frame lenses. It was originally announced at CP+ 2015 in Tokyo alongside the Pentax full frame DSLR, which is scheduled for release in late 2015.

Update as of July, 2017: read our newer review of this lens on full-frame here.
Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

full frame review -

QuoteQuote:
HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6
Introduction
Back in June 2016, we presented our first review of the HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW, which was the first member of the new lineup of full frame zoom lenses from Pentax. At the time, the review had been performed with a K-3 camera body as the full-frame K-1 had been announced but not yet released. Now that the K-1 has been out for some time and more users have access to it, it is time to revisit our review, this time testing the lens with a full frame sensor.
Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW Reviews - D FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

there is also the SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM

QuoteQuote:
Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 Review
Introduction
Pentax DA* 300 F/4

Screwdrive Autofocus Supersonic Autofocus Quick Shift Weather Sealed Internal Focusing Automatic Aperture APS-C Digital Only
Is it possible to combine outstanding function and beauty in a lens? Yes, one of the Pentax lenses that proves it is the DA* 300mm F4.0 ED Supersonic Drive Motor (SDM). The DA* lens line currently consists of six lenses that feature the highest quality materials and outstanding construction. Two of the unique features of the DA Star line are weather and dust resistant construction and quiet SDM focus system thanks to a built-in autofocus motor. . . .
Read more at: Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

with the possible addition of the 1.4 converter with either lens [ added " length " but loss of F stop ]
QuoteQuote:
Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter
Introduction
Pentax released the long-awaited 1.4x autofocus teleconverter in March, 2014. This handy accessory mounts between your existing DSLR lens and the camera mount to increase the effective focal length by 1.4x, giving you extra reach at the expense of one stop of light. For example, a 300mm F4 lens paired with the teleconverter would give you the same field of view and maximum aperture as a 420mm F5.6 lens. We feel that the teleconverter is an important addition to the Pentax lens lineup, which currently has a limited number of extreme telephoto lenses. . . .

Read more at: Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

____________________________________________________________________________________

HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter Reviews - DA Teleconverters - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
. . .Wildlife is more about knowing the wildlife, where to be and when to be there, and skill with your gear. . . . If you do want to try something different rent some gear. . . . .
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

QuoteQuote:
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent
Read more at: Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-22-2020 at 06:56 AM.
08-22-2020, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #5
mee
Veteran Member

Maybe rent a D500 and a Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E lens for a weekend and see what you think.

Different modes:

Birder setup:

btw both are from different professional wildlife photogs and both have very similar camera setups.

FYI
08-22-2020, 07:11 AM   #6
Unregistered User

Wildlife Photography - PentaxForums.com

K3-II: 8.3 fps; weather-sealed, in-body image stabilization. To my mind, the latter is the single most important reason to buy Pentax if you're looking to photograph potentially fast or erratically moving subjects. Some Canon and Nikon lenses contain image stabilization features, but I don't think they work as well, plus you pay extra for that feature with every lens instead of once per body, and the best lens for what you want may not have it.

SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM (ideally to be potentially used in conjunction with a HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW teleconverter).

Zoom lenses will be more problematic in the sharpness/detail department depending on aperture and where you are in the focal range, not that there aren't some great ones out there.

I don't have that stuff myself, although I've got an older FF version of the 300mm and a 1.7x FF TC. But, then, I didn't buy my cameras with the intention of dedicating any for wild nature. What I've suggested is what I'd have gotten if that had been my goal.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 08-22-2020 at 07:20 AM.
08-22-2020, 07:41 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
[. . . Zoom lenses will be more problematic in the sharpness/detail department depending on aperture and where you are in the focal range, not that there aren't some great ones out there. . .
unless price is the controlling issue I would avoid the 55mm-300mm zoom:

QuoteQuote:
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE
Conclusion
In short, the HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.5–6.3 ED PLM WR RE is an improvement in almost every conceivable way over its predecessor. It's smaller. It's lighter. It's tougher. It's faster. It's quieter. It's sharper. And it has less distortion.

Better still? It costs $50 less at launch than its predecessor did when it hit store shelves.

There simply isn't a better non-pro telephoto zoom option in the Pentax lineup, and no third-party lens rivals its abilities or price.

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews

, remember, please, I claim no expertise, I just post a lot

but I have used both the D FA 150-450 zoom and the DA 55-300 PLM zoom

08-22-2020, 08:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I've been doing Wildlife on and off and only this year I got more serious about it.
I owned Nikon D500 and Sigma 60-600mm Sport lens. Imo it's the best entry setup to get into this hobby. I would not recommend anything below 600mm. ... 300mm is not even a consideration and if 450, it better be f4.5 or wider.
I end up Switching to Sony A6600 and Sony 200-600 G lens (95% of my shots are at 600).
If I had to go back, I'd pick D500 with Sigma lens....just a faster and superior setup.
08-22-2020, 08:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all very much for your thoughts and the detailed information. I will read and look at all of it. And I will look into rental options, have never rented photo gear.

Will my primary lens likely upwards of $2K I'd like to start off on the right track. I've read quite a bit about the 150-450, know it's a high quality lens. The body focus acquisition is what I've been reading about, and need to play around more with the KP. I don't mind missing an occasional BIF in trade-off for well handling gear, of course would be nice to have both.

---------- Post added 08-22-20 at 08:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fiveseven Quote
I've been doing Wildlife on and off and only this year I got more serious about it.
I owned Nikon D500 and Sigma 60-600mm Sport lens. Imo it's the best entry setup to get into this hobby. I would not recommend anything below 600mm. ... 300mm is not even a consideration and if 450, it better be f4.5 or wider.
I end up Switching to Sony A6600 and Sony 200-600 G lens (95% of my shots are at 600).
If I had to go back, I'd pick D500 with Sigma lens....just a faster and superior setup.
I've been reading a lot about the D500. It seems to be a bottom line kind of go-to workhorse.
08-22-2020, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #10
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
I've been reading a lot about the D500. It seems to be a bottom line kind of go-to workhorse.
It's currently the ultimate sport crop DSLR body anywhere. The McLaren or Ferrari if you will.

I'm not sure where the next Pentax crop body will land, but surely the autofocus system will be improved from the KP. So if the 150-450 has enough reach maybe it is worth waiting to see what the Pentax offers?

Otherwise I'd totally skip Pentax for wildlife and just get the D500 if you have the means and the desire to go big. In addition to the Nikkor 200-500mm, there are a number of long primes in the Nikon stable, as well as a number of long zooms and primes from 3rd party Sigma and Tamron which are quality (60-600mm, 150-600mm Sport/G2, 100-400mm etc).

Just remember all these setups are fairly heavy (the 100-400mm lenses are lighter but then you lose reach and they're slower aperture). So you'll need to consider a proper tripod or just be able to manage hand holding the rig.

Last edited by mee; 08-22-2020 at 09:04 AM.
09-02-2020, 05:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another possibility to consider is a used Canon 7D2 with the 100-400 Mark II L IS zoom. The Canon L lens is more rugged than the consumer-grade Nikon 200-500. Current KEH price: 7D2, bargain condition, $700; lens, excellent condition, $1,600. Easy to sell on if you change your mind.
09-02-2020, 08:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
Another possibility to consider is a used Canon 7D2 with the 100-400 Mark II L IS zoom. The Canon L lens is more rugged than the consumer-grade Nikon 200-500. Current KEH price: 7D2, bargain condition, $700; lens, excellent condition, $1,600. Easy to sell on if you change your mind.
Thanks, that sounds like another good alternative. I'll look into it. At this point I may wait to see what the K-new will have to offer, although I know I can get good used kits for good prices from Canon and Nikon. I'll check out the combo you mention above.
09-02-2020, 09:02 PM - 4 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What I like about going outside of Pentax for wildlife photography there is so much in the section for lens.

With Nikon we have the 500 F5.6, 300 f4 200-500 if you are on a budget while if you ever need you can go 500 f4, 400 f2.8, 200-400 f4

If you are looking at 3rd party you can find 4 150-600, 50-600 2 100-400, 500 f4.

There is also the used market right now you can find 200-400mrk1 and mrk2 at very reasonable prices, very nice lens with all the pro features of other more expensive models.

I settled on the sigma sport 150-600 as my beater lens and for less dangerous situations I primarily use the 200-400 F4 mrk 2
09-02-2020, 10:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
wildlife photography
That's a wide range of scenarios, from backyard BIF to African safari to whale watching to penguins in Antarctica.

Hard to find one gear solution to meet all potential scenarios, except perhaps to say that that for any wildlife gear good reach, good low-light and decent weather resistance should be your base requirement. Amazing AF, fps or 4K video not always required.
09-03-2020, 03:23 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I like that on these forums the OP is being given info and advice on many options, not just Pentax

the reason I like the options Pentax offers are:

my other gear is Pentax so no issue of " confusion " or I brought the " wrong stuff " [ my " wildlife " opportunities usually happen on vacations so I am not close to my home base ]

the cost factor
of a new system and lens

my " wildlife " equipment ( the DA PLM, the D FA 150-450, the DA 1.4 teleconverter, the DA * 300 ) using the K 3 or K 3 II isn't really used all that often ( don't tell the wife )

I am not a professional but I know, from other posters' efforts, how good Pentax gear can be

please remember that I claim no expertise, I'm just a guy who posts a lot so I am not challenging other posters' comments on how good or bad other options might be

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-03-2020 at 03:31 AM.