Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2020, 08:14 PM   #16
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
Yup, pretty good thump when that goes off. Apparently there are some who get great results with the 67 handheld at slow speeds, so I guess it has a loud bark but soft bite :-). I've always wanted to own one of these. If only I'd bought one five years ago when they were cheap as chips :-/
I was fortunate to sell mine with the 45 and 105mm lenses before the bottom fell out and then bought into the K10d system. Since going digital, haven’t really looked back.

11-06-2020, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Angelic Layer Quote
Not really at the moment, I will shoot APSC DSLR for digital, film for medium format.
It won't be long for digital medium format to be affordable.

---------- Post added 05-11-20 at 06:20 PM ----------

I feel that 645 wasn't as drastic step up from 35mm, I would go 6x7 if I like that framing.
I would like one camera that can do both landscape and portrait, so 6x6 is pretty versatile on that aspect.

---------- Post added 05-11-20 at 06:30 PM ----------

Yeah, I like a few things about the Mamiya TLR except the image quality, the standard lens wasn't even as good as fixed lens Yashica, Minolta autocord etc.
I have to disagree. Strongly.

I have two Yashica TLR's and a Mamiya Pro 220 F with an 80, 65 and 180 and have a lot of experience with these cameras, plus the Pentax 6 X 7. I did a fair amount of medium format work back in the '80's and '90's.

I don't know how much experience you have but that is definitely not the case that the Yashica TLR has better lens quality than Mamiya TLR lenses.

Many pro photographers used the Mamiya TLR and Mamiya-Sekor TLR lenses to earn their daily crust and that is not the case with the Yashica TLR very much.
11-07-2020, 03:57 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have to disagree. Strongly.

I have two Yashica TLR's and a Mamiya Pro 220 F with an 80, 65 and 180 and have a lot of experience with these cameras, plus the Pentax 6 X 7. I did a fair amount of medium format work back in the '80's and '90's.

I don't know how much experience you have but that is definitely not the case that the Yashica TLR has better lens quality than Mamiya TLR lenses.

Many pro photographers used the Mamiya TLR and Mamiya-Sekor TLR lenses to earn their daily crust and that is not the case with the Yashica TLR very much.
Mamiya lens is good, no doubt about it, but picture lacked "glow" say if you look at subject's corner.
Okay, comparing to Yashica Mat-124 maybe the difference is minimal, there is a difference with Rolleiflex and noticeable with Autocord, even the Kiev 80mm Arax have a more beautiful image even though the 220's 80mm isn't that bad. (But I don't want to deal with the problems with a Kiev)
The image quality is certainly good enough for pro, and form factor and reliability make it attractive, but comparing side by side there is a bit of difference in quality.
If I were to take landscape only with wide angle, the Mamiya would be my choice over the others.
11-08-2020, 04:08 AM   #19

Original Poster
I have compared prints of 50mm Bronica EC (S2 with mirror lockup) and C220 with 55mm.
The Mamiya is indeed sharper than the Bronica of the same era in the 70's, Bronica have more light fall off in the corner.
So as an update there is a C330 with lens appear on the bay, I reserved the SQB, and see if I can get the C330 under 6-700 or so next week.

11-08-2020, 06:42 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That sounds great. The Mamiya 55mm is indeed a very sharp lens. It was my most-used lens after the 80. I loved the rendering of that one...lovely tones. BTW, if you end up with a Mamiya, keep the 180mm Super in mind for a future buy. It's a cracker! Outstanding lens.

Good luck in the hunt!
11-09-2020, 12:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

My local CL has a 180mm lens set for sale. Looks really nice with the original case. $150 is the asking price. Not sure if that’s a decent price or not. If I were single or if I wanted to be single I’d considering trying to buy it.
For now I only have the 80mm lens
11-09-2020, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
My local CL has a 180mm lens set for sale. Looks really nice with the original case. $150 is the asking price. Not sure if that’s a decent price or not. If I were single or if I wanted to be single I’d considering trying to buy it.
For now I only have the 80mm lens
Make the most of the 80. I'm sure other opportunities will present themselves.

11-09-2020, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have to second what Viking42 wrote: the Mamiya TLR 55mm lens is excellent. My copy of the 80mm is almost as good for my purposes, but I don't do high enlargements so i can't comment on corner issues. If you get the 180mm, make sure it is the Super version. That version is a close second to the 55mm in my experience. I also have an Autocord III and consider these Mamiya lenses to be quite comparable.
11-13-2020, 06:50 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sholom Quote
I have to second what Viking42 wrote: the Mamiya TLR 55mm lens is excellent. My copy of the 80mm is almost as good for my purposes, but I don't do high enlargements so i can't comment on corner issues. If you get the 180mm, make sure it is the Super version. That version is a close second to the 55mm in my experience. I also have an Autocord III and consider these Mamiya lenses to be quite comparable.

Agreed on all points. The 180mm Super is the one I had, and it was excellent. Re. the 80mm -- for some reason it doesn't seem to have a great reputation out there on the web. I never understood why, as mine (the blue dot version) was bitingly sharp with great contrast. I suspect that some people just shoot wide open all the time, probably handheld too, and when they don't get a sharp image they blame the lens. That said, there were several versions of the 80 made, and perhaps some earlier ones were not up to it.

Bottom line: lens quality should be the last reason not to buy a Mamiya TLR. With one or two exceptions, they are all terrific.
11-14-2020, 04:36 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
Agreed on all points. The 180mm Super is the one I had, and it was excellent. Re. the 80mm -- for some reason it doesn't seem to have a great reputation out there on the web. I never understood why, as mine (the blue dot version) was bitingly sharp with great contrast. I suspect that some people just shoot wide open all the time, probably handheld too, and when they don't get a sharp image they blame the lens. That said, there were several versions of the 80 made, and perhaps some earlier ones were not up to it.

Bottom line: lens quality should be the last reason not to buy a Mamiya TLR. With one or two exceptions, they are all terrific.
I don't mean that Mamiya lens is bad, but it wasn't impressive like others.
I've seen results from Russian Volna-3 which looks very impressive, so does Kowa.
It hold up on it's own, and considered good for medium format, just wasn't "special" if word have to put it.
Nonetheless there are merit for the system, and I see how much it goes for tonight.