Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2020, 10:26 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

"There are two new DSLR bodies to be released in 2021." according to nikonrumors

Here is another recap of a recent internal Nikon presentation:
  • The Z 7II starts shipping in early to mid-December. The second shipment to dealers will be in the middle of January (pre-order: Adorama | B&H).
  • There are 8 new Z mount lens released by 12/31/2021. The total will be 24 Z mount lenses.
  • The new lenses include 5 new prime lenses, a 400mm S, and a 600mm S lens for Z mount bodies.
  • The upcoming 100-400mm lens is very sharp and is anticipated to be a high volume lens.
  • Two new macro lenses: 60mm and 105mm.
  • The new Webcam Utility is free and is an excellent AP. Easy to use for connecting families digitally.
  • Confirmed: Nikon to release several new F mount lenses in 2021.
  • There are two new DSLR bodies to be released in 2021.
  • Nikon has not stopped the development of DSLR bodies but the majority of R&D money is targeted at mirrorless. They are not ready to shut down the F mount.
  • DSLR bodies are still outselling the Z-mount Mirrorless bodies but they expect within 60 days that mirrorless will outsell F-mount.
  • The Z mount bodies will continue to receive firmware updates and the plan is to implement significant upgrades, not just minor fixes.
  • Snap Bridge has been improved – you can now run firmware updates, much easier than with a memory card.
  • R&D continues to work on the Eye AF. It now includes a Pet mode. It will work on some wildlife but the future upgrades will focus on some wildlife Eye AF tracking.

Recap of recent Nikon presentation: two new Nikon DSLR cameras and "several" F-mount lenses coming in 2021 - Nikon Rumors

11-24-2020, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

It's now a race to the mirrorless top. Canon, Sony, & Nikon are going to duke it out aggressively. More choices for the consumer? Ha!
11-24-2020, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm very pleased for F-mount users that - at least for now - development is continuing, even if the majority of investment is in the mirrorless platform. Frankly, F-mount is so mature by now, and the user base so well established, it can probably survive quite well for some considerable time without a huge amount of new development.
11-25-2020, 08:15 AM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
It's now a race to the mirrorless top. Canon, Sony, & Nikon are going to duke it out aggressively. More choices for the consumer? Ha!
I saw a Z5 the other day used on one major retailer for around 950 bucks. It goes for 1400 normally, is discounted for 1200 retail price (holiday sales) and that pushed down the used price further. In the next 6 months I suspect 1200 will be the going price and 800-1000 will be the common second hand price.

That's cheap for a modern full frame MILC.

Used Z6's are going for around 1200 these days too. That's only on the Nikon side. On Canon and Sony sides the same is occurring.

I'm expecting less major feature changes on the DSLR lineup though outside of video/live view improvements. Much like what Nikon did on the D780. So products will be available and supported, but the feature sets are likely starting to set now. Going to be similar to model year cars -- slight changes to differentiate them.

11-25-2020, 09:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More than bodies, Nikon needs to work on lenses. This is place where Canon has a real advantage over both Nikon and Pentax, because every EF lens {over thirty-five years of them} can be used with their Adapter, but many Nikon and Pentax lenses are screw-driven. Screw-driven lenses cannot be used with Nikon's Adapter, and likely Pentax would have made the same decision if they had made a MILC mount.
11-25-2020, 10:03 AM   #6
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
More than bodies, Nikon needs to work on lenses. This is place where Canon has a real advantage over both Nikon and Pentax, because every EF lens {over thirty-five years of them} can be used with their Adapter, but many Nikon and Pentax lenses are screw-driven. Screw-driven lenses cannot be used with Nikon's Adapter, and likely Pentax would have made the same decision if they had made a MILC mount.
It isn't really an issue.

On DSLR, Nikon bodies support screwdriven lenses and have the aperture lever.

On MILC, the FTZ adapter indeed doesn't support screwdriver buzzing. But they can be used in manual mode. Or you can use one of the many (non-extensive list) of in-lens AF driven lenses.

That said, Nikon began switching over to in lens motors over twenty years ago. So there are a lot of lenses out there that are supported with the FTZ.

It would be far worse for Pentax since they still use screwdrive on many of their retail lenses today. But since they are committed to the DSLR platform, it isn't an issue either.
11-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax would have made the same decision if they had made a MILC mount.
They have a Milc mount its called K and is in a camera called K-01 which is out of production.So used copies can be found!

11-25-2020, 04:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It isn't really an issue.

On DSLR, Nikon bodies support screwdriven lenses and have the aperture lever.

On MILC, the FTZ adapter indeed doesn't support screwdriver buzzing. But they can be used in manual mode. Or you can use one of the many (non-extensive list) of in-lens AF driven lenses.

That said, Nikon began switching over to in lens motors over twenty years ago. So there are a lot of lenses out there that are supported with the FTZ.
Perhaps you don’t consider that to be an issue, but several people have posted on another discussion forum {not DPR} that none of their lenses would focus on their new Z7 ..... and it turned out that all the lenses depended on screw-drive. The last time I checked, some Nikon lenses sold by B&H were screwdriver.
11-25-2020, 05:24 PM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Perhaps you don’t consider that to be an issue, but several people have posted on another discussion forum {not DPR} that none of their lenses would focus on their new Z7 ..... and it turned out that all the lenses depended on screw-drive. The last time I checked, some Nikon lenses sold by B&H were screwdriver.
I understand what you're saying and agree it would be nice if there was an adapter that covered all lenses for the few that want it.

But I just don't see Nikon spending money on it since they're after Z lens sales. I'm guessing that is why it doesn't exist for Z mount.

And the FTZ adapter supports the overwhelming majority of the Nikkor lenses available on the retail market. Only a handful of old stock D series is out there on B&H for F mount.

Plus a screwdrive FTZ adapter would have likely been a lot bulkier. People already complain the FTZ is big as is. Look how bulky the Sony adapter is!

Last edited by mee; 11-25-2020 at 05:31 PM.
11-25-2020, 05:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
See: Would you buy a D to Z adapter for screwdriver lenses?: Nikon Z Mirrorless Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

While this poll isn't really rigorous and there is a slight caveat in that poll, seems like most Nikon users don't want them. There is a vocal minority that wants it, but I seriously doubt it would be profitable for Nikon to make one considering most people probably don't. You can still focus manually with the D lenses as well. Good enough for many situations.
11-25-2020, 07:02 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
See: Would you buy a D to Z adapter for screwdriver lenses?: Nikon Z Mirrorless Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

While this poll isn't really rigorous and there is a slight caveat in that poll, seems like most Nikon users don't want them. There is a vocal minority that wants it, but I seriously doubt it would be profitable for Nikon to make one considering most people probably don't. You can still focus manually with the D lenses as well. Good enough for many situations.
I am not saying that Nikon should make such an adapter.
I am saying that this situation confuses Nikon users, and ultimately confusion can not be good for Nikon.
11-25-2020, 09:55 PM   #12
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am not saying that Nikon should make such an adapter.
I am saying that this situation confuses Nikon users, and ultimately confusion can not be good for Nikon.
You're going to have an uphill battle to prove your claim.

Anyways why are we talking about mirrorless when this topic is about DSLR and the fact that Nikon is indeed not promptly exiting the DSLR business (and thus Pentax will have competition in this sector for time to come).
11-25-2020, 11:39 PM   #13

Nothing short of a new Nikon DF mk II would leave me excited.
11-26-2020, 01:45 AM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm... I initially thought that this was thread was in the appropriate "non-Pentax" forum, since we were discussing Nikon's forthcoming DSLRs. If what we're really discussing now is Nikon's on-going competition with Pentax, maybe it should be in the Industry forum instead?

That aside, it's good to see there's more than one company that believes there's further mileage in the DSLR format. I know I and a lot of our members firmly believe it, so it's nice to be supported in that

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-26-2020 at 01:58 AM.
11-26-2020, 07:02 AM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hmmm... I initially thought that this was thread was in the appropriate "non-Pentax" forum, since we were discussing Nikon's forthcoming DSLRs. If what we're really discussing now is Nikon's on-going competition with Pentax, maybe it should be in the Industry forum instead?

That aside, it's good to see there's more than one company that believes there's further mileage in the DSLR format. I know I and a lot of our members firmly believe it, so it's nice to be supported in that
No, A Nikon themed topic is in the correct spot. The topic has been this from the start, hence the subject and the green highlighted text.

And, yes, it is nice to see others still in the market.