Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2020, 02:44 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Mirrorless camera- was this a good move for Canon/ Nikon ?

I don't check out the sales numbers of cameras and with Covid, like others have not been able to get to my usual outdoor events (all been cancelled) so I also don't see others with new/newer cameras.

So, I don't know if the mirrorless cameras from Nikon and Canon are selling well ?

Are they ?

Also was it a good idea in terms of Canon and Nikon to focus efforts ....R + D, Engineering, marketing, etc...on mirrorless cameras ?

Has it proven to be a good idea in terms of making money, or would Canon and Nikon been wiser to just continue with their DSLR lines and not of gone into mirrorless ?

12-18-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It was a necessity. DSLR's are becoming a niche. We will probably see mirrorless pro DSLR's appear before the 2024 Olympics (Paris). Now that Canon and Nikon have clearly made the step it is only a matter of time dslrs will go the way of film slr's. Fading out.
12-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Well its difficult to make a clear analysis of the market now since there are a lot of non related factors that influence. but once the covid thing will be under control the economy and sales will rise again and the mirrorless sales will surely go up. I dont thing DSLR shooters would make the leap to mirrorless in this time of crisis.
12-18-2020, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #4
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It was a necessity. DSLR's are becoming a niche. We will probably see mirrorless pro DSLR's appear before the 2024 Olympics (Paris). Now that Canon and Nikon have clearly made the step it is only a matter of time dslrs will go the way of film slr's. Fading out.
Hi

I don't understand why it is a " necessity '.

Technology changes and improves , and over time that has never changed.

Dave

12-18-2020, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
I don't understand why it is a " necessity '.
Well, 2013 $ony started and very soon after their share of FF started growing.It was a market CaNik wasnt in.

$ony captured plenty of FF Dslr users(not Pentaxians in large numbers) due to a number of factors.

The big 2 Dslr producers saw their customer base leaving so HAD to join the market.
12-18-2020, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Well, 2013 $ony started and very soon after their share of FF started growing.It was a market CaNik wasnt in.

$ony captured plenty of FF Dslr users(not Pentaxians in large numbers) due to a number of factors.

The big 2 Dslr producers saw their customer base leaving so HAD to join the market.
Smart phones will beat them all up.
Nothing new really.
Sony is only in for the quick buck and then moves on to the next " in thing ".
12-18-2020, 05:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Also was it a good idea in terms of Canon and Nikon to focus efforts ....R + D, Engineering, marketing, etc...on mirrorless cameras ?
At this point in time Canon has been successful while Nikon has discontinued 1'' series and hasnt set the world on fire with Z series.

12-18-2020, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony has really changed the industry.
12-18-2020, 05:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Smart phones will beat them all up.
Its been happening for a while.However there wont be a knockout for a long long time!
12-18-2020, 05:40 PM   #10
dbs
Pentaxian

Its been happening for a while.However there wont be a knockout for a long long time!
Only the 10% of people who are photographically inclined will not surrender, everyone else just don't care
12-18-2020, 05:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Sony has really changed the industry.
And as much as plenty will talk them down,they have advanced tech a fair way.
12-18-2020, 05:47 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Either that or the abrupt shift will be inadequate to save Nikon as a company or to ensure continued emphasis by Canon on consumer/enthusiast photography products.

I don't know anyone who has moved to either new product line here in my region and we are pretty camera happy.

Steve
12-18-2020, 05:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Only the 10% of people who are photographically inclined will not surrender
Smartphones have increased "photgraphically inclined" people by huge numbers.Camera owners may disagree though.
12-18-2020, 05:52 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smartphones have increased "photgraphically inclined" people by huge numbers.Camera owners may disagree though.
I dislike handling my phone for photographic purposes, but I have seen wonderful photos made with smartphones... and we're moving closer and closer to the point where cellphones will be adequate for most photographic tasks that are not wildlife-related.
12-18-2020, 05:55 PM   #15
dbs
Pentaxian

Our context of " photographically inclined " obviously differ.