Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 86 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2021, 08:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Nikon Might Be The Next Olympus

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/nikon-manager-confesses-the-big-mistake-niko...rrorless-game/

01-20-2021, 09:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sad news to be sure.

Not sure what it means though. Is the problem that they were late to mirrorless, or that they went to mirrorless at all.
01-20-2021, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Canon eating Sony alive however. Sony lagging behind Canon for AF tracking in mirrorless. If I was a Sony owner, I'd be concerned about not having the best autofocus anymore.
01-20-2021, 10:07 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Nikon Might Be The Next Olympus
This has been the rumor for several years now, but perhaps all the more interesting to readers of Sony Alpha Rumors? It is important to play to one's audience.

Steve

01-20-2021, 10:08 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This site is commenting on another site that is commenting on Petapixel. The next site to comment on these comments will conclude that Nikon have already gone bust, probably.

Nikon will ride this out, they are picking up now and Sony suddenly has real competition, something they have not been accustomed to.

Sony's lunch will get smaller and since they don't make DSLR's there is nothing they can do about it.
01-20-2021, 10:12 AM - 4 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
The next site to comment on these comments will conclude that Nikon have already gone bust, probably.
Er, that's us, isn't it?
01-20-2021, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Sony suddenly has real competition, something they have not been accustomed to.
I've always thought that this would be the interesting moment in this whole business - historically, Sony has put a lot of investment into areas here they have little or no competition, but cut investment when the competition hots up.

01-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Er, that's us, isn't it?
Some of us perhaps , but it's the 'tinternet thing, it always gets worse at the next iteration.
01-20-2021, 11:38 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Sad news to be sure.

Not sure what it means though. Is the problem that they were late to mirrorless, or that they went to mirrorless at all.
Probably both, compounded by a very top-heavy business that doesn't have many other divisions to weather the storm (like, say, Canon)
01-20-2021, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nikon is overall a small company and tried to be everything, like many thought Pentax should do. Hard to say what they may end up doing, but they are treading a fine line. Would not be surprised to see a merger or breakup somewhere. They have so much money spent in R&D in a shrinking market and jumped into the mirrorless quagmire seemingly with their eyes closed.
01-20-2021, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Sony lagging behind Canon for AF tracking in mirrorless. If I was a Sony owner, I'd be concerned about not having the best autofocus anymore.
The next Sony release will be interesting,its likely the AF speeds will see$aw between Can$on.

For Nikon owners/investors there's always JIP to fall back on.

---------- Post added 01-21-21 at 07:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Hard to say what they may end up doing,
Well, they've done it.Announced a cease to manufacturing in Japan which they say will reduce costs by 59%.
01-20-2021, 01:06 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The next Sony release will be interesting,its likely the AF speeds will see$aw between Can$on.
Maybe, but until the next Sony release, can we say that Sony is doomed?
01-20-2021, 01:10 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

In 1 year, when Sony loose market share to Nikon and Canon on Mirrorless and that Canon and Nikon dont invest anymore in DSLR , Sony will annonce that the next trend is mirror and introduce 2-3 news models......Ok just a joke Remember Sony is a Consumer electronic company first and foremost
01-20-2021, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Remember Sony is a Consumer electronic company first and foremost
Thanks for the reminder,I also saw that Ricoh was a photocopier company.Fuji makes films.Canon makes printers.Panasonic makes plenty,Samsung makes everything(or did, until they discovered phones make better profit than cameras.)Olympus makes money, but not from cameras.

Nikon is DOOMED!
01-20-2021, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Nikon is DOOMED!
Gee, I hope not--I absolutely love the Nikon lenses in my progressive eyeglasses. Best that I have ever had.

- Craig