Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2021, 05:48 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Canon R1

Its been talked about for a while without anything absolutely substantial being revealed.

The only thing Canon has said is they have a general slowdown due to Pandemic and some other issues.

Here are some "speculative" specs that have just surfaced.Is it too good to be true OR can a camera matching or close to these be real?

Approx. 85MP global shutter CMOS imaging sensor
Approx. 85MP at 20fps, 21MP at 40fps unlimited continued shooting
Full Sensor Large Quad Pixel Auto-focus technology
15.5 EV+ wide dynamic range
ISO 160-1638400
5-axis IBIS up to 9 stop
3.5” 9.33MP 1280nit 10-bit WCG RGB-OLED touch screen with 120Hz AE-AF
9.44MP 120Hz SuperSpeed AE-AF electronic viewfinder
Price $8,500 in USA

Personally,I don't need something like this AND wouldn't pay that price.However,its not expensive for the capability!

03-04-2021, 06:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the technology exist to record 85MP images at 21fps?

What is the pixel pitch for a 85MP FF sensor?

Those are the two things that stick out to me. 85MP seems to be MF size sensor territory not FF, and I honestly have no idea if current bus and cards to keep up to that.
03-04-2021, 06:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Does the technology exist to record 85MP images at 21fps?
It could but its not revealed yet .As I said "speculative" specs.I'll believe them when its real.

What is the pixel pitch for a 85MP FF sensor?
M43 at 20mp would be close and Sony have a 40+mp sensor for M43.

I honestly have no idea if current bus and cards to keep up to that.
They are progressing, wait and see.

The R1 is under development and bits and pieces have kinda been speculated on(like the R5 speculation)

This list could be close?
03-04-2021, 07:27 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Hmmm... Not impossible, but I'd expect the camera to have a lower base ISO in order for it to have a deep enough well depth to get that DR.

5-axis IBIS up to 9 stop
This is extremely unlikely unless the photographer is willing to do astrotracer-style precise calibrations and also avoid taking photos in places where magnetic compasses and GPS work poorly.

The upper limit for any kind of image stabilization (in-body or in-lens) is caused by the motion sensors being so sensitive, they detect the spin of the Earth. The system then tries to correct for that motion but because the subject is on Earth and also spinning once per 24 hours, the camera actually adds blur to images of things sitting on a spinning planet. At 9 stops, it would add up to 12 pixels of blur in the case of an 85MP camera.

The only way around it is to know BOTH the location of the camera and the compass direction that it points. That enables the stabilizer to subtract the Earth's known motion from the sensor data to get net motion of the camera relative to the moving Earth. But as users of astrotracer know too well, that's an error-prone system because the Earth's magnetic field is pretty anemic and many a metal or electrical system distorts or swaps the Earth's field.

03-06-2021, 01:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even if the specs (or so-called specs) were to be true, would you really spend that much money for this camera?
I presume this is a price for the "camera only" ?

How much hi-tech does one need to take more than decent pics?
03-06-2021, 02:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the news update. Impressive numbers. But for me, meh. . .
03-06-2021, 03:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Even if the specs (or so-called specs) were to be true, would you really spend that much money for this camera?
I presume this is a price for the "camera only" ?

How much hi-tech does one need to take more than decent pics?
Would I spend it? No. Will someone? Yes.

Unless they are breaking precedent, of course it will be body only.

A camera with these specs isn’t intended for the average consumer. They’re welcome to buy it, but this would presumably be targeting professionals who use the 1DX.

03-06-2021, 04:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Wow factor..... specs....

But when I think of it, will my eye look at the final product the picture and will my eye..... be able to delineate from pix between say a Canon 5D4, Nikon D850, Pentax K1 Mk. 11 ? I mean will there an absolutely huge difference ?

I'm happy with my 'eye'.......but will it see any significant difference ?

And $ 8500 US dollars....what will that translate into Canuck Bucks. Just contemplating it all, makes me shudder....
03-06-2021, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Its been talked about for a while without anything absolutely substantial being revealed.

The only thing Canon has said is they have a general slowdown due to Pandemic and some other issues.

Here are some "speculative" specs that have just surfaced.Is it too good to be true OR can a camera matching or close to these be real?

Approx. 85MP global shutter CMOS imaging sensor
A global shutter would be very nice.
03-07-2021, 03:50 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The nice thing about "speculative specs" is that they don't have to have any relation to reality.

I imagine that Canon is working on a higher megapixel camera (don't know that it will be this one), but some of the other specs, as Photoptimist says, are pretty unlikely. Certainly at that cost it will be out of most folks' price range...
03-07-2021, 08:50 AM   #11
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
global shutter
That'd be a good thing, definitely.

QuoteQuote:
Approx. 85MP at 20fps
Nah. Not for me. I don't shoot sports. Wildlife? Rarely has too low fps robbed me of a shot. More than 4.5 would be nice on occasion, but the 8-9 of the K-3 is already plenty - for me.

QuoteQuote:
ISO 160-1638400
At ISO 160?! Riiiight....

QuoteQuote:
5-axis IBIS up to 9 stop
I'm looking forward to seeing how their "stop Earth's rotation" chip works in practice
03-07-2021, 09:39 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think they need to leak something tasty at this point to put doubt in the minds of potential A1 customers - and most of the R5 rumours that seemed unlikely turned out true, so...
03-07-2021, 12:02 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Those specs make me glad I picked up an R5 and R6 instead of waiting. The only thing I would like to have is the bigger body and the battery.

But when official specs are released maybe I’ll change my mind.
03-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
THE speculative specs?

"CANON talk" has been about an R5 S with high MP....or an R1 using the known 45mp sensor that's in the R5.

Specs come from a source that the rumour site deems not reliable.However,both the bodies will come and "some" could be real.

Its likely QuadPixel AF will be one, they have been developing it for a while(and not for Rebels!).

There was supposed to be 3 bodies announced early this year,R1 and replacements for R and RP.The virus has delayed these.

R5 specs were leaked and were reasonably accurate,IF these specs are close it justifies a high price for a small few.

I like seeing the advances in technology even though I don't need a flagship of this proportion.
03-07-2021, 12:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Amazing specs but the whole FF mirrorless thing is ending up in a very samey Canonikony clone situation for ‘only’ many thousands of dollars. A mad money race. That’s fine for particular things like sports where top AF, high ISO quality and fast frames are important but plain batty for some other genres where those features don’t matter nearly so much. Right now I’m thinking stick with what you have and then look at jumping up to medium format which at this rate will soon be less costly than FF. A lot of things - street, travel, family snaps eg - that MF is not designed for can be accommodated very well on APS-C or likely on a smartphone.