Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 100 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2021, 09:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pen-A Quote
Happy Z5 owner here too. Got mine used a few months ago with 24-50 kit lens, FTZ adapter, two extra third party batteries and a small Nissin flash. Also bought a PK to Z adapter and three M42 to Z adapters.
Also found two used af (F-mount) lenses.. 70-300 AF-P and AF-S 105/1.4 E . All those lenses are sharp as heck .

I too was a bit torn between Z5 and 6 but absolutely no regrets. FPS is enough, buffer is good and files are great! Not even missing the top lcd. I keep the rear screen off and if I need to see my settings IŽll press the DISP button, half press the shutter and screen goes black again.

IŽve set one user mode for old manual lenses, M-mode with a few tweaks to controls. AF-ON to 100% magnification, Fn2 to 200% and Rec button to non-cpu lens data for ibis focal length.

I'm pretty sure Z6 won't get any updates anymore.. Z5 probably will.
I actually prefer that mode dial on the right on the Z5 and also don't miss the top display at all. It's triple-redundant on these cameras with the EVF displaying that info and the back screen. I think the mode dial placement is easier to use on the right.

03-10-2021, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It really is a conundrum, I'd use the extra features of the Z6 and Z6II, but the extra price tag is a real hurdle. The Z glass costs are nuts too.

I'm most excited about getting one of these to use:
* some old helios lenses,
* some rokinon FF k mount glass
* my old takumars
03-10-2021, 09:16 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
It really is a conundrum, I'd use the extra features of the Z6 and Z6II, but the extra price tag is a real hurdle. The Z glass costs are nuts too.

* my old takumars
The 5 really is almost all of those camera's except the burst rate. If 8 mp works then the 30fps is pretty neat to use and a pain to sort though.

I have 3 Z lenses and they're all excellent. The 24-200 is my favorite of that type and sharper than any I've used in the past (I have the 18-250 Sigma for K-3). It's also fully weather sealed unlike the Canon 24-240 so it's a fully weather sealed setup with the Z5 as all the Z's are. The 35/85 1.8's I have as well and they're excellent. For the price they supposedly perform on par with much more expensive lenses on charts but I'll never be able to compare those side by side. They're for sure sharper than the 1.8 G lenses I have.

I do have a couple older Nikon lenses I may play around with in manual focus. Manual is really easy with the EVF. The Z lenses have a cool feature where there is no AF switch, you just rotate the focus dial and instantly go into manual focus. Similar to how the 16-50 works with Pentax.
03-10-2021, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #19
mee
Veteran Member

* my old takumars
I've gone back and forth between Z5 and Z6II also. For months. And I'm mentally locked in with Z6II for the extra money, because I think I'll enjoy it more with the additional features long term for my pursuits. But both are fine cameras.

I'm looking at a 50 f/1.8 S and the 14-30 f/4. I also want a 24-70 f/2.8 S too, but I think I'll go with a 28-75 f/2.8 from Tamron instead ( should they finally offer it in Z mount) simply due to cost.

If I was just using manual lenses for photography I'd probably have settled with the Z5 though since it is about half the price.

Last edited by mee; 03-10-2021 at 09:26 AM.
03-10-2021, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I've gone back and forth between Z5 and Z6II also. For months. And I'm mentally locked in with Z6II for the extra money, because I think I'll enjoy it more with the additional features long term for my pursuits. But both are fine cameras.

I'm looking at a 50 f/1.8 S and the 14-30 f/4. I also want a 24-70 f/2.8 S too, but I think I'll go with a 28-75 f/2.8 from Tamron instead ( should they finally offer it in Z mount) simply due to cost.

If I was just using manual lenses for photography I'd probably have settled with the Z5 though since it is about half the price.
I think for mental sanity if anyone is considering these and thinks the burst rate or low light AF is something that would nag them in hindsight with the Z5 and you don't mind spending the extra money you'll have that piece of mind going forward. I'm totally at peace with giving up those two items as it basically was a free 24-200 in the difference in price, or 35/85 lens.

But if I needed burst rate that would knaw at me and it's why it's so hard to choose between these cameras. If Nikon made the Z5 8.5fps is would be a no-brainer to save the money. I can see the board meetings that had probably talking about these exact items and how many people would just spend more for the Z6ii lol.
03-10-2021, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I think for mental sanity if anyone is considering these and thinks the burst rate or low light AF is something that would nag them in hindsight with the Z5 and you don't mind spending the extra money you'll have that piece of mind going forward. I'm totally at peace with giving up those two items as it basically was a free 24-200 in the difference in price, or 35/85 lens.

But if I needed burst rate that would knaw at me and it's why it's so hard to choose between these cameras. If Nikon made the Z5 8.5fps is would be a no-brainer to save the money. I can see the board meetings that had probably talking about these exact items and how many people would just spend more for the Z6ii lol.
The thing is, I already get by pretty well with the burst rate of the K3. The extra FPS of the Z6II is a nice to have, but yeah, will probably save my dollars. Mostly want some FF rendering goodness.

I'd love to get the K3-3 when it comes out, I was saving my dollars for it, but... might jump on the Z5, be nice to have a FF camera in the pack.
03-10-2021, 10:31 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

The thing is, I already get by pretty well with the burst rate of the K3. The extra FPS of the Z6II is a nice to have, but yeah, will probably save my dollars. Mostly want some FF rendering goodness.

I'd love to get the K3-3 when it comes out, I was saving my dollars for it, but... might jump on the Z5, be nice to have a FF camera in the pack.
If it's mainly for having fun with vintage glass in manual focus the Z5 seems the way to go. And it'll have that extra DR boost at low ISO. Plus it always feels good to spend less. The viewfinder is nice. I just had a OMD EM10 and Fuji X100s EVF in the past to compare and the Nikon Z finder is way better than those.

03-10-2021, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #23
mee
Veteran Member

If it's mainly for having fun with vintage glass in manual focus the Z5 seems the way to go. And it'll have that extra DR boost at low ISO. Plus it always feels good to spend less. The viewfinder is nice. I just had a OMD EM10 and Fuji X100s EVF in the past to compare and the Nikon Z finder is way better than those.
Your last sentence gets me excited for this camera!
03-10-2021, 11:59 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm convinced. I followed you on flickr btw, hope to see some Z5 shots on your feed!
03-10-2021, 12:35 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why wouldn't you just use a K-1ii ?
03-10-2021, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
EVF for manual focus has some benefits. K-1ii would be the way to go for OVF with these lenses. The Z bodies can use a bunch of older manual lenses from most of the brands with cheap adapters. With something like a megadap you can autofocus them as well.

---------- Post added 03-10-2021 at 01:54 PM ----------

I'm convinced. I followed you on flickr btw, hope to see some Z5 shots on your feed!
Well then I'll have to get some Z5 shots on there, I haven't updated that in a while.
03-10-2021, 01:00 PM - 2 Likes   #27
mee
Veteran Member

The EVF view can be magnified larger than actual size which makes achieving critical focus easier. Plus other extras such as focus peaking in the viewfinder. Makes it a cinch to focus manual lenses more than through an OVF.

And as Lee has mentioned there are a ton of adapters. The large diameter and short flange focal distance of the Z mount, in particular, makes it the optimal platform for adapting lenses.

Plus the mirrorless bodies are a lot lighter than a K-1 or comparable DSLR.
03-10-2021, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Because I'm looking for a camera specifically for focusing manual glass, with a view finder (EVF or OVF). The OVF in the K1ii won't provide focus peaking.

Edit, beyond that, I like to move around systems a little bit, and the cool thing with a mirrorless camera body, is if you don't care about focusing, it lets you dabble with a lot of different glass.
03-10-2021, 01:18 PM - 3 Likes   #29
Veteran Member

Because I'm looking for a camera specifically for focusing manual glass, with a view finder (EVF or OVF). The OVF in the K1ii won't provide focus peaking.

Edit, beyond that, I like to move around systems a little bit, and the cool thing with a mirrorless camera body, is if you don't care about focusing, it lets you dabble with a lot of different glass.
It's like a rosetta stone for older manual glass with all the adapters. Seems like a fun hobby of finding some gems and bringing them back to life from basically any brand. The manual adapters are cheap too.

The FN key's on the front can be mapped for various zoom and peaking to help as well. I think it's easier than OVF with the larger EVF on the Z body's to manual focus if you aren't partial either way.

---------- Post added 03-10-2021 at 02:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The EVF view can be magnified larger than actual size which makes achieving critical focus easier. Plus other extras such as focus peaking in the viewfinder. Makes it a cinch to focus manual lenses more than through an OVF.

And as Lee has mentioned there are a ton of adapters. The large diameter and short flange focal distance of the Z mount, in particular, makes it the optimal platform for adapting lenses.

Plus the mirrorless bodies are a lot lighter than a K-1 or comparable DSLR.
It's very easy in general as you can see the focal plane really well, then just a flick of the fn button on the front and your at 200% to check that it's perfect. Really easy. I actually use manual focus on the Z lenses a lot more than I expected for fun as there isn't a switch involved you just rotate then AF on the back button if you desire. Ideal setup that way imo. Of course you can do this in live view as well but it won't be much fun outside in strong light with all the reflections.
03-10-2021, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's like a rosetta stone for older manual glass with all the adapters. Seems like a fun hobby of finding some gems and bringing them back to life from basically any brand. The manual adapters are cheap too.

The FN key's on the front can be mapped for various zoom and peaking to help as well. I think it's easier than OVF with the larger EVF on the Z body's to manual focus if you aren't partial either way.

---------- Post added 03-10-2021 at 02:22 PM ----------

It's very easy in general as you can see the focal plane really well, then just a flick of the fn button on the front and your at 200% to check that it's perfect. Really easy. I actually use manual focus on the Z lenses a lot more than I expected for fun as there isn't a switch involved you just rotate then AF on the back button if you desire. Ideal setup that way imo. Of course you can do this in live view as well but it won't be much fun outside in strong light with all the reflections.
I usually just listen for the focus confirm beep and AF.c. No pushing buttons, no futzing about, focus and go. Worked fantastic with my A 400 5.6.

I actually have a few BiFs taken that way.
I'll take your word for it it's easier, but since I didn't find mf with older lenses hard , it's not really an issue for me. But then, I really prefer AF to MF, and when I do use MF for macros, I use Live View, the focal plan is highlighted front and back so I can see my whole depth of field and I've never once lost an image because of too bright sun.

So for me you're solving problems I don't have, but clearly, you guys have different work flow. A much less efficient one from my perspective, but, maybe a more accurate one. I have no way to evaluate that.

I do have hundreds of Live View focussed images many using pixel shift.
Mushrooms and Fungus | Flickr

So I'm curious, but I probably have a lot less appreciation of old glass than you guys. To me MF means futzing, and I hate futzing. When I do it I don't find it difficult, but I guess if you do it enough, and it's just a little bit easier for every shot it adds up and it's worth buying a camera for.

I was looking but didn't find an old seagull in flight I took, in low light right at sunset. The point being, an EVF could easily have had trouble panning smoothly in the light I had or that image. But then I get the impression that's not a problem you guys would encounter.

This reminds me of the old adage, "A Pentax user is a guy who buys a $1300 camera to use $50 glass.' These Nikons take that to a whole new level.

Last edited by normhead; 03-10-2021 at 02:16 PM.