Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 100 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2021, 02:15 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I usually just listen for the focus confirm beep and AF.c. No pushing buttons, no futzing about, focus and go. Worked fantastic with my A 400 5.6.

I actually have a few BiFs taken that way.
I'll take your word for it it's easier, but since I didn't find mf with older lenses hard , it's not really an issue for me. But then, I really prefer AF to MF, and when I do use MF for macros, I use Live View, the focal plan is highlighted front and back so I can see my whole depth of field and I've never once lost an image because of too bright sun.

So for me you're solving problems I don't have, but clearly, you guys have different work flow. A much less efficient one from my perspective, but, maybe a more accurate one. I have no way to evaluate that.

I do have hundreds of Live View focussed images many using pixel shift.
Mushrooms and Fungus | Flickr

So I'm curious, but I probably have a lot less appreciation of old glass than you guys. To me MF means futzing, and I hate futzing. When I do it I don't find it difficult, but I guess if you do it enough, and it's just a little bit easier for every shot it adds up and it's worth buying a camera for.

I was looking but didn't find an old seagull in flight I took, in low light right at sunset. The point being, an EVF could easily have had trouble panning smoothly in the light I had or that image. But then I get the impression that's not a problem you guys would encounter.
Old glass and Manual focus is definitely a different game. The EVF's are pretty useful for it, OVF works great too though. I've used my Pentax body's in the past in the same manner with AF-C and waiting for the beep, it works well. The EVF just takes it a different direction with peaking and ability to zoom in easily. What I find interesting is the development of these autofocus adapters like the megadap that bring AF capability to all these really old manual only lenses. Of course you could just get a good AF lens but it adds some life for those who like to collect the older glass.

Normhead have you ever had luck with the catch in focus feature on your Pentax's? You've got a great area up your way for some interesting wildlife. Do you have otter's up there as well? I've never got a good shot of one. I had one run right up literally a foot away while I was very still trout fishing and it noticed me at the very last second and we just kind of looked at each other like "wow this is a cool experience" then it went on it's way. I WISH I HAD MY CAMERA.

03-10-2021, 02:17 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I usually just listen for the focus confirm beep and AF.c. No pushing buttons, no futzing about, focus and go. Worked fantastic with my A 400 5.6.
I'll take your word for it it's easier, but since I didn't find mf with older lenses hard , it's not really an issue for me. But then, I really prefer AF to MF, and when I do use MF for macros, I use Live View, the focal plan is highlighted front and back so I can see my whole depth of field and I've never once lost an image because of too bright sun.
So I'm curious, but I probably have a lot less appreciation of old glass than you guys. To me MF means futzing, and I hate futzing. When I do it I don't find it difficult, but I guess if you do it enough, and it's just a little bit easier for every shot it adds up and it's worth buying a camera for.
The first thing I do with a new camera is to turn the sound off, but I find that the 'in focus' tends to reinforce what my eyes tell me.

Like you, I use mostly AF because I find it to work well.
I use MF lenses only when I have a really good reason to resort to them.
03-10-2021, 02:19 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The first thing I do with a new camera is to turn the sound off, but I find that the 'in focus' tends to reinforce what my eyes tell me.

Like you, I use mostly AF because I find it to work well.
I use MF lenses only when I have a really good reason to resort to them.
AF is the way to go to get things done. Old MF glass is just a slow different process for fun I've found. I've got a few older lenses that are terrible, but I learned as a kid with them so it's nostalgic. I've still got a Nikon Film body as well, its the first camera I ever used and I think my parents were insane letting me run around in the woods with it as a small kid. That was brave of them. My first photo's were of wildlife I stalked through the woods patiently for. Terrible photos but I had a blast getting them.
03-10-2021, 02:31 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Normhead have you ever had luck with the catch in focus feature on your Pentax's? You've got a great area up your way for some interesting wildlife. Do you have otter's up there as well? I've never got a good shot of one. I had one run right up literally a foot away while I was very still trout fishing and it noticed me at the very last second and we just kind of looked at each other like "wow this is a cool experience" then it went on it's way. I WISH I HAD MY CAMERA.
Actually prefer AF.s to AF.c unless using manual focus. I'm hoping fingers crossed that the K-3iii and the new AF system will change this.

Otters?

There was a great otter year in the park. The ice conditions were right to restrict their movements so you could guess where they might pop up. They seemed oblivious to the photographers.

This guy was maybe 15 meters away from me basking in the sun.

03-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Actually prefer AF.s to AF.c unless using manual focus. I'm hoping fingers crossed that the K-3iii and the new AF system will change this.

Otters?

There was a great otter year in the park. The ice conditions were right to restrict their movements so you could guess where they might pop up. They seemed oblivious to the photographers.

This guy was maybe 15 meters away from me basking in the sun.
I can see the links in the quote but they don't seem to be coming through. I'm going direct to your flickr page as I bet you have some great wildlife shots.

That looks like a really fun time observing those otters. Really cool animals.

I'm really hoping the K-3 iii is a great upgrade in AF-C for everyone, and then for the followup K-1 line, that would be excellent. I know some need bleeding edge but honestly, I'm perfectly content with D750 level AF-C or better in the future Pentax and I'm pretty confident it'll provide that. I still really like the button layout and how it all works with Pentax. I'm pretty used to Nikon now but I can pick up the K-3 at any time and it's so organic for my brain to use its control layout. I don't think that gets mentioned much in reviews but I think Pentax cameras have the best control layout.

If it's really good I'll probably buy it (I still have all my K mount lenses) and probably replace my 16-50 with the newer version and then ditch the D750 an keep Pentax as my DSLR kit as I do enjoy using them. The 60-250 has always produced really nice images for me and I would like to use it with the improved AF-C that's on the way. It's also more compact then my 150-600 Sigma for when I don't need that kind of reach and the bulk that goes with it, plus weather sealing.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 03-10-2021 at 03:02 PM.
03-10-2021, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #36
mee
Veteran Member

So for me you're solving problems I don't have, but clearly, you guys have different work flow. A much less efficient one from my perspective, but, maybe a more accurate one. I have no way to evaluate that.

I was looking but didn't find an old seagull in flight I took, in low light right at sunset. The point being, an EVF could easily have had trouble panning smoothly in the light I had or that image. But then I get the impression that's not a problem you guys would encounter.

This reminds me of the old adage, "A Pentax user is a guy who buys a $1300 camera to use $50 glass.' These Nikons take that to a whole new level.
Your stance is confusing. You don't appreciate old glass yet are showing us photos taken with old glass. I remember way back you taking a stance that you could manual focus lenses easily and thus you didn't need advanced autofocus. Now you're full 180 saying you value advanced autofocus now that Pentax potentially has such as system. It's odd.

I think you really came here in an attempt to rain on our parade. Lee is abundantly gracious in his responses to you though.

Last edited by mee; 03-10-2021 at 03:31 PM.
03-10-2021, 03:39 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Your stance is confusing. You don't appreciate old glass yet are showing us photos taken with old glass. I remember way back you taking a stance that you could manual focus lenses easily and thus you didn't need advanced autofocus. Now you're full 180 saying you value advanced autofocus now that Pentax potentially has such as system. It's odd.

I think you really came here in an attempt to rain on our parade. Lee is abundantly gracious in his responses to you though.
I think he can appreciate manual focus and probably has some pretty good skills with it. I think he was genuinely curious why one would want to go with a Nikon when Pentax's can use all the old lenses well. For OVF I think that's the way to go. For some though who want to try out the EVF and have the flexibility to grab older lenses from different brands for use on one body the Nikon Z has the largest mount and tons of inexpensive simple adapters.

I've done the exact same thing in threads and irritated people while I didn't mean too by going on about Nikon or Olympus or whatever brand. I don't think he was coming in as an antagonist.

I don't mean to speak for you Normhead, you just seemed like "why would you not use a Pentax with older Pentax glass"?

03-10-2021, 03:51 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

This reminds me of the old adage, "A Pentax user is a guy who buys a $1300 camera to use $50 glass.' These Nikons take that to a whole new level.
I get a lot of "almost" results doing that kinda thing with my K3.

This might be a YMMV thing too. I use focus peaking a ton on my K3 for picky stuff with MF lenses, so having a platform built around the premise is going to be good.

Don't get me wrong, still tons of love for my K3. I have bunch of different film cameras, just because I like the one doesn't mean I don't really like the other one.
03-10-2021, 03:57 PM   #39
Veteran Member

We've had fun arguing in the past over AF-C and EVF's. Water under the bridge. I do hope he gets to play around with one of these EVF's at some point. I know he'd appreciate the weather sealing on the Z lineup. Maybe a Z5 with 24-200 in Normheads future.......... It's like an extra lens purchase...... (waits patiently for Normheads response...).

---------- Post added 03-10-2021 at 04:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I get a lot of "almost" results doing that kinda thing with my K3.

This might be a YMMV thing too. I use focus peaking a ton on my K3 for picky stuff with MF lenses, so having a platform built around the premise is going to be good.

Don't get me wrong, still tons of love for my K3. I have bunch of different film cameras, just because I like the one doesn't mean I don't really like the other one.
I would think the universal aspect of it is very appealing for a manual focus/older lens fan. I can see the enjoyment in knowing you can collect anything and use it with a single body. There's a lot of enjoyment in just finding and collecting those lenses.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 03-10-2021 at 04:09 PM.
03-10-2021, 04:10 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I would think the universal aspect of it is very appealing for a manual focus/older lens fan. I can see the enjoyment in knowing you can collect anything and use it with a single body. There's a lot of enjoyment in just finding and collecting those lenses.
Yeah and from 14mm to 200mm I have a respectable set of full frame primes, a lot with interesting optical qualities. While many not as sharp as the Z lineup, they have a lot of interesting artistic effects that excite me, especially paired with a FF body where they can really work well. It's a neat idea to get body that converts all of that into a "system" with no lens investment except for an adapter.

---------- Post added 03-10-21 at 06:13 PM ----------

I hope this thread doesn't turn into an EVF/OVF thread, it has such been done already, and it's on such a good note so far.

I live somewhat near Normhead, if I get a Z, and am up in Algonquin part, I'll make sure to bring the Zed5.
03-10-2021, 04:28 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Yeah and from 14mm to 200mm I have a respectable set of full frame primes, a lot with interesting optical qualities. While many not as sharp as the Z lineup, they have a lot of interesting artistic effects that excite me, especially paired with a FF body where they can really work well. It's a neat idea to get body that converts all of that into a "system" with no lens investment except for an adapter.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into an EVF/OVF thread, it has such been done already, and it's on such a good note so far.

I live somewhat near Normhead, if I get a Z, and am up in Algonquin part, I'll make sure to bring the Zed5.
No the OVF EVF thing is done to death no need to go there.

I agree the older lenses have unique qualitys while not as sharp as the most recent glass. But sharp isn't everything in a lens and some just have a cool look. Check out the Nikon picture controls and this site for some ideas. It would be fun to build them around older lenses to get a certain look and save them for that lens.

https://nikonpc.com/
03-10-2021, 05:58 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Cool, I haven't had one in my hands yet. Living where I live, that's an issue. I'm depending on all the folks who come to the park putting their gear in my hands. All the experience I get with other systems comes that way.

---------- Post added 03-10-21 at 08:06 PM ----------

I don't mean to speak for you Normhead, you just seemed like "why would you not use a Pentax with older Pentax glass"?
Thanks LeeRunge, your assessment is correct.

Sorry your thread got turned into a "dump on Normhead thread." Apparently I'm not allowed to participate in these threads without certain folks lining up to take a shot at me. Moderator approved.

Last edited by normhead; 03-10-2021 at 06:12 PM.
03-10-2021, 06:32 PM - 2 Likes   #43
mee
Veteran Member

No the OVF EVF thing is done to death no need to go there.
Yes please. Keep the topic on topic and not on instigators that dredge up drama topics in order to derail the convo and continually can't behave. This is just a friendly discussion about the Z series and specifically with manual focus lenses.

That said, back on topic. I still have a pair of M series Pentax primes and a 105mm macro that I kept just in case of such an occasion. Does anyone have any recommendations of a Z body to K lens adapter? I would like something fairly solid and not plasticky.

Last edited by mee; 03-10-2021 at 06:38 PM.
03-10-2021, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That said, back on topic. I still have a pair of M series Pentax primes and a 105mm macro that I kept just in case of such an occasion. Does anyone have any recommendations of a Z body to K lens adapter? I would like something fairly solid and not plasticky.
K&F Concept works for me, solid and looks good at least with A50/1.7. I have their M42 version also which looks the part with Fat Tak 35/2.. but with some lenses it looks too techie..
03-11-2021, 03:58 AM - 3 Likes   #45
Pentaxian

To give you guys some idea..

Shot with K-1 and DFA*50