Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2021, 02:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zenit E lens stuck?

Are M42 lenses simply screwed on or is there a trick? I bought a Zenit ES photosniper and then an M39 Helios-58-2 lens (with adaptor) but I can't seem to remove the collar that the 300mm lens attaches to. It seems you screw the collar in to the camera, then mount the big lens using grub screws, but I cannot get the collar off, even with a big ol' jar-opening tool.

I don't really want to break anything, especially as it's a bit of a novelty. I just want to finish this roll of film with the 58mm

03-28-2021, 01:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Assuming you're talking about the 300mm lens attached to a Zenit camera, the lens should just unscrew from the camera, no tricks, excessive force or release buttons.
Other than that, a couple of pictures to demonstrate exactly which "collar" you're having problems with might help.
03-28-2021, 02:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry, yes a picture would have been useful. The lens goes into the collar and three grub screws tighten it, presumably so you can line up the camera with the lens properly so it fits into the rifle grip. I get that you could probably unscrew it with the lens attached to the collar in theory but as it's so stuck I don't want to risk those grub screws slipping and chewing up the collar

I think it might just be stuck

03-28-2021, 02:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Looks to me like a standard T2 mount - no need to undo the grub screws, which are only there to adjust lens alignment. Replace the lens body in the mount, tighten the grub screws, then unscrew the entire lens assembly as normal. If the T2 mount is firmly fixed, a pipe wrench or similar should grip sufficiently to let you unscrew it - a layer of gaffer tape in the jaws of the wrench should protect the mount, while giving sufficient purchase to provide grip.

If the mount does get damaged, there are loads on Ebay !

03-28-2021, 07:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 thats the standard soviet "t-mount". Normal t-mounts have an internal collar, held by 3 x grub screws, with an interior 42mm x .75mm thread that screws on to the lens. Lenses like tair, jupiter etc have, as you can see, an external part that is also held on by 3 grub screws, while the lens part looks like the internal collar of the standard t-mount.
In any case, as already advised, the part on the camera is the M42 mount and just needs to be unscrewed.
03-28-2021, 12:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Awesome - great info, thanks! Good to know it's a standard mount, and I'll have to acquire a pipe wrench* I think to get it off I think.

*and an M42 to PK adaptor