Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2021, 03:58 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Camera-breaking Sony A7 III shutters result in class action lawsuit against Sony

Seems like the entry level cameras are plagued by more than just breaking IBIS units.

QuoteQuote:
“Unfortunately for many purchasers of the a7 III, mechanical problems with the shutter have rendered the cameras unusable provided they do not pay over $500 for repair to an authorized service center.”
QuoteQuote:
“Numerous users report shutter failures far below 200,000 but between 10,000 and 50,000 for most of the users who experienced this,” the complaint states. “While the a7iii is generally sold with a one-year warranty, shutter failure occurs randomly, often outside of the warranty period.”
Sony Sued: Class-Action Lawsuit Says a7 III Shutter is Bricking Cameras

Obviously there are at least 1,200 users who had this issue:

Petition · We want Sony A7III to be recalled for Shutter replacement · Change.org

And the A7III shutter problems are knows since 2 years at least.

There is even a separate Facebook group for just this:
Sony A7III - Shutter Problem Public Group | Facebook

I wonder if this is as bad as the Nikon D600 issue or worse.

03-30-2021, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't call the A7iii entry level. It puts our solenoid issue into perspective. At least that's a cheap fix
03-30-2021, 05:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

2200 euros the camera, I just checked. Yes, our solenoid issue is much less dire.
03-30-2021, 09:56 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing! The question that comes immediately to mind is where Sony sources its shutters. For most other Japanese brands, the answer is either Seiko or Copal. The next question might be whether other brands or models in the A7 line might be effected.

BTW...those are some very graphic shutter failure photos.

Steve

03-31-2021, 05:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
It puts our solenoid issue into perspective. At least that's a cheap fix
And solenoid is a fix you can DIY.

Full shutter replacement not so much.

But then there must be a reason why Sony charges $500-600 for fixing their faulty shutters. For that price you can get a full mint used KP camera and nobody could tell the difference from an image.
03-31-2021, 06:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
And solenoid is a fix you can DIY.

Full shutter replacement not so much.

But then there must be a reason why Sony charges $500-600 for fixing their faulty shutters. For that price you can get a full mint used KP camera and nobody could tell the difference from an image.
I can, tell the difference.
For many like myself, no DSLR can come even close for use with manual lenses.
04-01-2021, 01:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Even the tabloids report it now:
QuoteQuote:
Specifically, the plaintiff states the quoted ‘shutter life expectancy on the a7iii is 200,000 actuations,’ but notes ‘numerous users report shutter failures far below 200,000 but between 10,000 and 50,000 for most of the users who experienced this,’ citing this Change.org petition—signed by 1,320 individuals as of publication—that calls for Sony to recall the a7 III for shutter failure problems.
Class action complaint filed in New York alleges Sony isn?t addressing premature a7 III shutter failures: Digital Photography Review

Issues reported here:
QuoteQuote:
Typically Sony, I have never had a Sony product that has worked half a year without problems (TV / mobile phones / cameras / lenses).
You just have to wait...
Understanding the defective shutter of my Sony A7iii - FM Forums

In 2019 reported already:

QuoteQuote:
For some users, the failure is quite dramatic with the shutter suddenly failing to clear, hanging in front of the sensor and partly obscuring all images.
Does Sony Have a Problem With Failing Shutters on the a7 III? | Fstoppers

More images and reports:
QuoteQuote:
After 16 months of switching to #a7iii I found the first reason to not like it :-/
during a professional photo shoot I had three camera errors asking to shut down the camera. I did that, removed the battery and restarted it. On the fourth attempt this is what happened. Nothing came in contact with the shutter mechanism at any stage.
shutter mechanism failure a7iii: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

And more details on the current lawsuit reasoning

QuoteQuote:
37. Additionally, the problem is likely to reoccur, and the user will have any warranty claim denied for having caused “physical damage” in attempting to fix the shutter failure.
38. In fact, Sony has denied warranty coverage to numerous a7iii users on these grounds. 39. Sony has also denied coverage to those who experienced shutter failure when their claims were submitted outside of the limited warranty period.
40. Sony has been aware of the shutter failure on the a7iii since shortly after its release
41. Sony is aware of the percentage of this model which experience premature shutter failure but has declined to act such as issuing a recall or covering the faulty shutters."
Camera-breaking Sony A7 III shutters result in class action lawsuit against Sony | Digital Camera World

04-01-2021, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I wouldn't call the A7iii entry level. It puts our solenoid issue into perspective. At least that's a cheap fix
and the camera continues to function, even if no fix is applied.