Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2021, 07:05 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Archaic Flash

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone here knew something about this flash port on my late 20s Graflex Series D large format SLR. The camera was heavily modified sometime in the 30s to include a large aerial photography lens and some really wonky changes to internal spring tensions (that I have since reverted to stock). One of the more enigmatic modifications however is the addition of an unusual 2 pin flash to the camera. It is really quite ingenious how it was installed, for it uses a rotating cam inside the curtain mechanism to close the circuit of the flash at just the right moment. At any rate, I haven't a clue what the name of the connector is called, nor what kind of system it connects to. I have plenty of flashbulbs lying around, so I figured it would be fun to throw something together and take some low light photos with this uniquely capable camera. At any rate, attached will be a picture of the connector, any input is appreciated

Cheers!

Attached Images

04-21-2021, 05:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't really tell from the photo. Looks a bit like one of these:
Jack Plugs Pins and Spades
04-21-2021, 12:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That connector does not look like an original part of the camera, although I'm no expert - I'm just going by the look of it. You say the camera has been heavily modified in other ways, and I'm guessing this was another such mod. If it is not original I would have no compunction about replacing it with some other type of connector, if you can't find anything to fit that one.
04-26-2021, 10:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vanquisher109 Quote
Hello, I was wondering if anyone here knew something about this flash port on my late 20s Graflex Series D large format SLR. The camera was heavily modified sometime in the 30s to include a large aerial photography lens and some really wonky changes to internal spring tensions (that I have since reverted to stock). One of the more enigmatic modifications however is the addition of an unusual 2 pin flash to the camera. It is really quite ingenious how it was installed, for it uses a rotating cam inside the curtain mechanism to close the circuit of the flash at just the right moment. At any rate, I haven't a clue what the name of the connector is called, nor what kind of system it connects to. I have plenty of flashbulbs lying around, so I figured it would be fun to throw something together and take some low light photos with this uniquely capable camera. At any rate, attached will be a picture of the connector, any input is appreciated

Cheers!
That might be the 2nd, less common version if a bi post connector. Graflex used the other version on a lot of their cameras. Many people updated their Graflex for electronic flash. This may be one of those instances.

Thanks,
barondla

04-28-2021, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all of your responses, and I am glad to report that I have found the connector in question. It sure is a weird one, I will say that. Its a military connecter from way back called a Amphenol 12S-3, it was used in military aircraft apparently. The part I bought was a 97-12S-3P on ebay (AMPHENOL 97-12S-3P / 9712S3P (NEW NO BOX) | eBay), and it worked great. I rigged it up to a hazily constructed capacitor set, and sure enough, it popped a flash bulb. Unfortunately, I happened to be looking directly into the flash bulb, for I did not anticipate my system to work. Regardless of the temporary blindness, I am just glad to have a functional flash on this camera.

Cheers!

(Attached are some pictures of the connector and fired bulb)
Attached Images