Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 63 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2021, 12:39 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Over the years, how many times have we entertained ideas about a 'digital K1000'?
A Pentax version would have the Limited lenses and vintage compatibility. Changes the whole premise imho. Saying that I hope Pentax doesn't go full cosmetic vintage. Their design language with recent cameras K-1, KP, K-3 III is pretty damn good. There's room within that style to be a bit more analogue and a bit more "classy" without loosing the edge of the Pentax design language. My thinking now is that that should perhaps be the low tier model replacing the K-70. Nikon was perhaps right about that.

06-29-2021, 12:44 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Between their announced glass, glass already here, and the FTZ adapter I don't really see a huge lack of glass for this body. They have an 18-140 VR lens coming which sounds nice (on paper at least, time will tell how nice it really is) which then combines well with a few primes to make a nice all-around kit.
06-29-2021, 01:50 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I don't think of the word "retro" when the K-01's styling is considered. I've got some words for it but not that one.
Agree, the K-01 isn't retro at all.
06-29-2021, 02:32 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
I dunno, it looks kinda like a 1950s kids toy.

06-29-2021, 02:39 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I've just been reading about this. Looks like Nikon are copying Fujifilm but still not committing to APS-C by producing a decent lens lineup for it. I suppose two APS-C cameras is better than one but it's still not a convincing offering.

06-29-2021, 07:40 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't believe that they are still using the same 20MP sensor, plus no IBIS, crappy battery, and no lenses!
WTH, when is Nikon going to deliver a meaningful DX upgrade?
Well, they do call it retro.....
06-30-2021, 12:52 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Art Deco?

K-01 looks more like Art Deco , I like it.
My silver MX-1 ( with beautiful real leather hand made casing ) is real Retro.

06-30-2021, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Between their announced glass, glass already here, and the FTZ adapter I don't really see a huge lack of glass for this body. They have an 18-140 VR lens coming which sounds nice (on paper at least, time will tell how nice it really is) which then combines well with a few primes to make a nice all-around kit.
Nikon had 20 years to flesh out an APS-C lineup for their DX DSLRs and didn't. They have 4 primes (fisheye 10mm, 35/1.8, 40/2.8 macro and 85/3.5 macro) and one f/2.8 zoom (the 17-55). The rest is either slow zooms or FF glass, priced accordingly.
They only want the Z DX system to get people in the door for the FF glass.
06-30-2021, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't believe that they are still using the same 20MP sensor, plus no IBIS, crappy battery, and no lenses!
WTH, when is Nikon going to deliver a meaningful DX upgrade?
Lack of ibis is a big deterrent for all the hackers out there who want to play with legacy glass. I’ll pass
06-30-2021, 06:13 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Unless there are some amazing feature it will always be a fuji copy with a crap lens lineup.
My thoughts exactly.

Nikon looks like they're trying to copy Samsung : throw a pack of spaghetti noodles at the wall and see what sticks.

Their Z strategy could be summarized as "too late, again". Apart from former FX/DX users migrating thanks for the lens adapter (and quickly selling their stuff because the adaptation isn't all that fun) I don't think they're gaining significant market traction.
06-30-2021, 06:37 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
My thoughts exactly.

Nikon looks like they're trying to copy Samsung : throw a pack of spaghetti noodles at the wall and see what sticks.

Their Z strategy could be summarized as "too late, again". Apart from former FX/DX users migrating thanks for the lens adapter (and quickly selling their stuff because the adaptation isn't all that fun) I don't think they're gaining significant market traction.
I agree. This camera may be very nice but unless they commit to a good range of APS-C lenses then there's just no reason for it to exist other than for users who will never move beyond the kit lenses.

Launching it with a plastic FF 28/2.8 tells me that they have no intention of providing lenses for it.

06-30-2021, 07:15 AM   #42
Pentaxian

The question if the "buys kit only" market exist anymore.

Its interesting that they deemed the retro market to be one for newbies and entry level price. Sort of the opposite of the normal rangefinder/retro/leica type stuff. Where its about perceived build quality, history and connoisseur pricing.
06-30-2021, 07:20 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eh. I laid out a plan for a kit around this camera body (no, I am not interested in jumping to Z mount, it was just a thought exercise) and I think it's pretty viable. Maybe not perfect (a good 28mm f1.8 that isn't huge, please!) but not too far off from something that would make me happy about 90% of the time. I do agree that IBIS would make it more appealing but Fuji also lacks this function and it hasn't seemed to kill them yet. This body would have better ISO-invariance vs. Fuji as well, right?
06-30-2021, 08:51 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I've just been reading about this. Looks like Nikon are copying Fujifilm but still not committing to APS-C by producing a decent lens lineup for it. I suppose two APS-C cameras is better than one but it's still not a convincing offering.
How many cameras with direct controls do manufacturers have to make before we can stop saying they're copying Fuji? Just because it's the direction Fuji went whole-hog on doesn't mean it's not a legitimate design for part of a manufacturer's lineup!
06-30-2021, 08:55 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AgentL: Probably when Pentax makes one will this change take place in the general discussion of cameras.