Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I think analog shutter speed and ISO dials are the bee's knees. I would sell body parts for a Pentax body with that. Call me old school of you will, but a customizable dial is not the same as seeing your setting right there and not on a display.

However, the Nikon implementation is lacking. There is still a PASM switch. Yuk. Why couldn't they put A on those dials, like Fujifilm does? Because it is only a warmed up Z50 and the hardware/firmware/software changes would price it into full frame territory. It is already priced at a premium over the Z50.

Every time you change a lens, you will eyeball that sad lonely eetsy beetsy teeny weeny little crop sensor inside the giant Z mount that was engineered for one mad 58mm f/0.95 prime. You will feel inadequate and regret a lot of life decisions that meant you couldn't quite stretch to a Z5. Even if it does not have cool retro dials.

Thank you. Rant over. I feel better now.
I guess it's a way of pandering to traditionally Nikon shooters, it may be easier for them to use a PASM switch than find the A setting on each dial. I do think Nikon made it unobtrusive enough that you can ignore it completely if you want to. I agree that a Pentax with the direct controls would be a lovely thing. The more I shoot the more I gravitate to Manual for all but the GRIII with its simplicity of pulling out, turning on, shooting and putting away again, the highlight-weighted metering combined with aperture priority works a treat for that. I'm not shooting manual more because I'm "better" but mainly because I shoot manual film cameras more often now, and it's a nice way to unify the experience and the required thought between all the different cameras.

07-02-2021, 03:00 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Probably a fun camera to use the FTZ adapter and older glass. Nikon DX has always been kinda limited, but with all the adapters probably a lot of fun with older glass from most brands.

Check out the adapters for Z mount, it’s huge so pretty much everything fits as a manual lens with some combo of adapters. So for vintage lens users it’s probably going to be a fun camera to use. Some of them like the megadap even allow for autofocus on manual lenses in M, EF, F, OM, MD, PK, M42 mounts.
With the Df, I had the impression from their advertising that it was aimed more at the nostalgic/dilettante segment, for whom display is the most important aspect (like the men who buy into the Patek Philippe schtick about their sons’ heritage), but I have no idea of the types of people who actually bought one.

This raises the question of who they think will buy the Zfc: is it perhaps that same group, or is it lovers of old manual lenses? I guess we’ll see. The Df seemed to me to be too large to pull off the nostalgia trick convincingly, and this new body may well satisfy that segment, but I don’t really see an advantage over the Sony offering for manual lens – in fact the lack of IBIS may well be their Achilles Heel for that group.
07-02-2021, 05:34 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Buy a KP and you'll be well ahead of that thing, Fontan - WR, higher resolution, IBIS, more than three consumer lenses for it, and yes, it has your flippy screen.
That would make too much sense. I’m thinking this would be an irrational senseless buy just to look cool.
07-02-2021, 08:43 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
With the Df, I had the impression from their advertising that it was aimed more at the nostalgic/dilettante segment, for whom display is the most important aspect (like the men who buy into the Patek Philippe schtick about their sons’ heritage), but I have no idea of the types of people who actually bought one.

This raises the question of who they think will buy the Zfc: is it perhaps that same group, or is it lovers of old manual lenses? I guess we’ll see. The Df seemed to me to be too large to pull off the nostalgia trick convincingly, and this new body may well satisfy that segment, but I don’t really see an advantage over the Sony offering for manual lens – in fact the lack of IBIS may well be their Achilles Heel for that group.
Fuji shooters, and old camera lens collectors. Or anyone who likes dials. I think the hybrid of physical dials is excellent. I love my X100s for that reason. You don’t need to dig into menu’s or use the back screen most of the time. It’s the same thing in cars with touchscreens, dials are still the way to go.

One huge difference is the adapters. You couldn’t adapt the DF to nearly any glass like the Z mount. Same with the Fuji’s. It’s unique to how large the Z is. You can’t do it with Pentax either. That’s probably the biggest advantage of the mount.

It’s weakness is lack of DX Z lenses for those who want modern. Although F mount is plenty accessible with the FTZ.

This one also doesn’t suck with video like the Df.

These things need IBIS.

07-03-2021, 01:41 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
This one also doesn’t suck with video like the Df.
Not surprisingly, as the Df didn't have video at all.
07-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP would actually be a closer analogue to traditional, "retro" controls if it had an LCD status screen on top, so you could see your settings at a glance. That's a main reason for direct dials for me. I like to turn the rear screen off a lot of the time, as the light from the KP LCD bleeds into the viewfinder when shooting. Digital cameras without direct dials or some kind of screen to show settings are a bit of a black mystery box some of the time.
07-04-2021, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

This is the way to do old school. Nothing else comes close. Customizable dials and screens are way different.

Close but no cigar.

07-08-2021, 10:15 AM   #38
Pentaxian

This is the way to do old school. Nothing else comes close.
Didin't the Nikon Df also have an ISO dial and a dial for exposure priorities in addition to all shown on the top of the Fujifilm? That's two more manual dials.
07-09-2021, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Didin't the Nikon Df also have an ISO dial and a dial for exposure priorities in addition to all shown on the top of the Fujifilm? That's two more manual dials.
Yes, lots of dials - including the stinking PASM thing.

If you want an ISO dial, Fujifilm can do it with the XT3. Note the A position and lack of PASM.

Some Fujifilm lenses even has an A on the aperture ring. Wow! Why can't anyone else do this?

Last edited by Wasp; 07-09-2021 at 03:07 AM.
07-09-2021, 02:58 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never figured out why people are bothered by the inclusion of features, buttons, or dials that they don't personally use. Just don't use them, super glue them so they are non-functional. It isn't actually that big a deal.
07-09-2021, 05:07 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I've never figured out why people are bothered by the inclusion of features, buttons, or dials that they don't personally use. Just don't use them, super glue them so they are non-functional. It isn't actually that big a deal.
That is a really great idea that is guaranteed to end in tears.
07-09-2021, 06:16 AM   #42
Pentaxian

I agree that physical dials are good *if* they show the active settings no ifs no buts. Fuji seems to do this right. Its great to be able so set your camera up when its off and have those settings enabled when you power on.
07-09-2021, 07:48 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Yes, lots of dials - including the stinking PASM thing.

If you want an ISO dial, Fujifilm can do it with the XT3. Note the A position and lack of PASM
You don't need to show me a picture. I still own one. Also does that EV comp dial lock on the XT3? I had a X Pro 1 once and that dial wasn't a locking dial and it would inadvertently rotate just from handling. At one point I had to electrical tape it down. It was a PITA.

And the sad part about putting dials on modern digital cameras is the film era cameras had figured it out a long time ago but the new breed of camera designers seem to have to learn it all over again instead of just picking up an old-school camera and see how it was done.
07-09-2021, 11:28 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think it's mostly personal preference... I generally prefer a PASM dial with user modes á la Pentax. I only need to turn one dial to go from M to Av, TAv or my user modes with specific AF settings. But that's because the 3 e-dials are all where they should
07-11-2021, 03:44 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Fujifilm has addressed the EV dial problem but it doesn't lock. Could be a deal breaker.
QuoteQuote:
Something that makes the X-T3 a delight are the analog controls for exposure comp., shutter speed and ISO. Most Fujifilm lenses have an aperture ring as well, and if that's the case you can eliminate command dials from your life (at least for adjusting exposure). The X-T3's ISO and shutter speed dials are lockable and while the exposure comp. dial is not, it has enough resistance to prevent accidental rotation (more, in fact, than on the X-T2). Fujifilm slightly reduced the size of the exposure comp. dial in order to prevent your thumb from accidentally rotating it.

Fujifilm X-T3 Review: Digital Photography Review