Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2021, 05:26 AM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I've considered the Z7 many times, but, given how much I invested in Pentax glass, and how tiny is the difference in image quality between K1 and Z7, it's hard to make a decision to switch to Nikon. The other thing is, Nikon Z7 grip system is unimpressive. But Nikon inner AF and image processing tech is ahead of Pentax, it's how the tech should be actually, not like K1 is K5 tech which is 2014 tech. Now, if Nikon would release a Z7 successor with the 61Mp BSI Sony sensor in it, and a solid camera build and solid grip and a solid articulated screen, then I might be interested to sell my K mount lenses and switch completely to Nikon. Once Nikon will have a 70-200 f4 available , Nikon will be even more compelling. With that all said, I don't say Nikon is better because I'm a Nikon owner, I'm not a Nikon fanboy, I don't evaluate Nikon offer with filtered glasses. If Ricoh make a K1 successor with 61Mp BSI and K3 III tech in it, then it'll be unlikely that I switch to Nikon, because I almost have all the lenses I exactly need for Pentax and I don't have any lens for Nikon Z.
It’ll probably come along. I wouldn’t sell the Pentax glass as it’s highly likely a AF capable adapter will exist for K to Z in time. Then you’ll have best of both worlds with OVF when you feel like it and a mirrorless body you can use with your K glass.

---------- Post added 10-30-2021 at 05:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Has it? Because every release from Pentax since the K-1 or even earlier has had weather sealing (re-issues of older models notwithstanding), including the "kit" DFA 28-105:

On top of that, the Pentax APS-C kit zooms, which are sub-$200, are weather sealed (I've used my 18-55 WR in the rain, actually), while the APS-C Nikon Z are not (16-50 or 50-250). That's a huge omission, IMO. It's the lenses that most people will use with their Z-50s and kind of invalidates having a sealed body...
I did say the full frame glass and some DX, they didn’t seal all the DX which is unfortunate. The sealing is what brought me to Pentax, I have some DA* with it and while the cheap lenses are sealed they’re noisy screw drive which feels like it’s from the 80’s. I think about half the DX glass is sealed, similar to Pentax currently. FF is far more comprehensive.

Look at the prime lens lineup. The FF line is very comprehensively sealed, more so than Pentax. Pentax also has no zoom like the 24-200 that’s sealed. ALL the Z primes are sealed. Not just a few like Pentax. Pentax has some good offerings but it’s not as good as Z for weather sealing.

Weather sealing, like I mentioned, is why I went to Pentax in 2009. But IMO Z is more comprehensive at this point in FF. DX you could still argue go with pentax if you don’t want mirrorless.

This is a big change for Nikon, F glass was not even close to as much sealing. Only the very high end. That’s how Sony and Canon are still doing things.

Weather sealing (without spending a fortune) used to be exclusive to Pentax and Olympus.

20/24/35/40/50/85/105 primes (and upcoming 400/600/800) are all weather sealed in Z mount. What does Pentax have the 55 100 WR , 200 and 300?

Actually of the entire lineup only 3 lenses don’t have weather sealing, the 16-50 and 50-250 DX and the 28 prime that was released with the retro body.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 10-30-2021 at 05:51 AM.
10-30-2021, 05:50 AM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I did say the full frame glass and some DX, they didn’t seal all the DX which is unfortunate. The sealing is what brought me to Pentax, I have some DA* with it and while the cheap lenses are sealed they’re noisy screw drive which feels like it’s from the 80’s. I think about half the DX glass is sealed, similar to Pentax currently. FF is far more comprehensive.

Look at the prime lens lineup. The FF line is very comprehensively sealed, more so than Pentax. Pentax also has no zoom like the 24-200 that’s sealed. ALL the Z primes are sealed. Not just a few like Pentax. Pentax has some good offerings but it’s not as good as Z for weather sealing.

Weather sealing, like I mentioned, is why I went to Pentax in 2009. But IMO Z is more comprehensive at this point in FF. DX you could still argue go with pentax if you don’t want mirrorless.

This is a big change for Nikon, F glass was not even close to as much sealing. Only the very high end. That’s how Sony and Canon are still doing things.

Weather sealing (without spending a fortune) used to be exclusive to Pentax and Olympus.

20/24/35/40/50/85/105 primes are all weather sealed in Z mount. What does Pentax have the 55 100 WR , 200 and 300?
Come on, we cannot count Nikon's releases in the last 2-3 years and then look at Pentax glass that is 15 years old .
Pentax FF sealed glass is everything except for the old 50 macro, the FA Limiteds and the reissue of the FA 35... so everything that's come out in the last 5-6 years is WR.
10-30-2021, 06:08 AM - 2 Likes   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The S 24, 35, 50 and 85 f1.8 primes are all sharp edge to edge, very good. So far, my HD FA 35 f2, DFA50 macro and DFA 100 macro are also sharp edge to edge, but not as good as the nikons regarding CA. the thing is, now I have 2 x K1 and 9 Pentax lenses (bought new), so I'm hooked, and if I'd switched to Nikon it'd cost me a ton of money , and my Pentax gear is still working very well and produces images of quality in the same league as Nikon, I can't justify the cost of switching to Nikon.
You’ll probably get best of both worlds soon enough with an AF K to Z adapter. I won’t sell my Pentax glass for that reason. They already have them for E mount and there are K to E adapters but that seems a bit too much of an adapter sandwich for now. Matter of time.

I won’t be surprised at all if there are adapters for everything to Z mount in time. It’s one of the advantages they have of waiting to go last to develop a mount, now it can adapt everything.

---------- Post added 10-30-2021 at 06:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Come on, we cannot count Nikon's releases in the last 2-3 years and then look at Pentax glass that is 15 years old .
Pentax FF sealed glass is everything except for the old 50 macro, the FA Limiteds and the reissue of the FA 35... so everything that's come out in the last 5-6 years is WR.
For sure you can, it’s a new system.

F mount was terrible for weather sealing. Not the case with Z. It’s going to be (currently is too) the most comprehensive weather sealed system available once they field out the remainder of lenses over the next couple years.

If I were a new to ILC shopper today, Pentax wouldn’t look good in comparison if weather sealing was a high priority, especially looking at primes. They really should seal up the limited lenses. It has been a deficiency for a while. Non sealed lenses make a sealed body pointless.

To be fair if you look at OVF ONLY options Pentax is the most weather sealed. You’ll be paying huge dollars for Canon or Nikon equivalents. That’s why I bought it in 2009.

But taken all into consideration, Nikon Z is comprehensive. And for wildlife that Z9 and it’s siblings have top level AF now and no viewfinder blackout so going into the future it’s the best outdoor camera system available.
10-30-2021, 07:09 AM   #94
mee
Veteran Member

The Tamron designs from the past 5 years are all weather sealed too. FYI. So you don't have to pay a ton to get sealed F or EF mount lenses.

The issue with Ricoh is back in 2013, when the re-released much of their lenses, they went the cheap route of just offering new coatings and (on some) rounded shutters. Had they spent the money on in lens motors and weather sealing, they'd have a more comprehensive system to this day.

Instead, screwdrive is akin to rotary telephone in tech these days to sub 30 year olds. It's an oddity. And as even third parties are offering sealing and quiet motors, it seems odd for OEM (outside of proper pancakes) to not offer this tech on their front line products.

10-30-2021, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The Tamron designs from the past 5 years are all weather sealed too. FYI. So you don't have to pay a ton to get sealed F or EF mount lenses.

The issue with Ricoh is back in 2013, when the re-released much of their lenses, they went the cheap route of just offering new coatings and (on some) rounded shutters. Had they spent the money on in lens motors and weather sealing, they'd have a more comprehensive system to this day.

Instead, screwdrive is akin to rotary telephone in tech these days to sub 30 year olds. It's an oddity. And as even third parties are offering sealing and quiet motors, it seems odd for OEM (outside of proper pancakes) to not offer this tech on their front line products.
I agree there’s entirely too much screw drive in the Pentax K current lineup. Even my dirt cheap F mount 50 1.8 has a silent electric motor in it. The same 50 1.8 for Pentax feels 3x cheaper in build and has a ancient noisy screw drive. I have both of those lenses. I much prefer the Nikon.

I agree anyone new is going to be turned off by screw drive. They remind me of film camera’s from the 80’s. It’s an ancient way to lens focus at this point.

The entire line would have been much more attractive if they updated to silent motors then weather sealed it all. Pentax was a leader in weather sealing but they’re nothing special in that regard today.
10-30-2021, 07:00 PM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If Ricoh had decided to include in-lens motors when updating the Limiteds, it would have necessitated new optical designs. That would have been cost-prohibitive, and taken fairly scant resources away from other, more urgent projects.

Anyway, I've owned all of the DA Limiteds, and the only one that has an overly obtrusive whirr when focusing in the 35 Macro. The rest have such short focus throws that the sound produced by the screwdrive mechanism is negligible, IMO.
10-30-2021, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
If Ricoh had decided to include in-lens motors when updating the Limiteds, it would have necessitated new optical designs. That would have been cost-prohibitive, and taken fairly scant resources away from other, more urgent projects.

Anyway, I've owned all of the DA Limiteds, and the only one that has an overly obtrusive whirr when focusing in the 35 Macro. The rest have such short focus throws that the sound produced by the screwdrive mechanism is negligible, IMO.
I never owned the limited lenses because of the lack of weather sealing and the screw drive. I have the inexpensive 35/50 plastic’s and those are pretty noisy, and a DFA 100mm macro with screw drive, also noisy.

It makes sense that the motors would have been too expensive involving a redesign.

Good to know that the noise isn’t much on the limited lenses.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 10-30-2021 at 08:06 PM.
10-31-2021, 02:36 AM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I agree there’s entirely too much screw drive in the Pentax K current lineup. Even my dirt cheap F mount 50 1.8 has a silent electric motor in it. The same 50 1.8 for Pentax feels 3x cheaper in build and has a ancient noisy screw drive. I have both of those lenses. I much prefer the Nikon.

I agree anyone new is going to be turned off by screw drive. They remind me of film camera’s from the 80’s. It’s an ancient way to lens focus at this point.

The entire line would have been much more attractive if they updated to silent motors then weather sealed it all. Pentax was a leader in weather sealing but they’re nothing special in that regard today.
It's pretty clear that Pentax is moving away from screw drive. The only "new" lenses released with screw drive these days are when they do an HD coating on old lenses. Otherwise all of them are getting an in lens motor. I'd say eventually they'll re-do the FA limited line up and add sealing and in lens motors (and probably raise the price). As lutluss says, the issue is that that will take a re-design and right now they are focused on filling out the lens line up, not going back and re-doing old lenses.
10-31-2021, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #99
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I must be one of the few here who actually prefer screw-drive lenses with mechanical diaphragm linkage. Maybe it's the vintage lens collector in me... I like the relative simplicity of lenses (especially primes) that have no motor of their own, the lower potential for electro-mechanical issues in future (such as the old DA* SDM problem), and compatibility with older bodies. I know all the arguments for in-lens motors and against screw-drive, and I still prefer the latter. I can deal with the minor noise 99% of the time. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I had to shoot wedding ceremonies in church, or dramatic productions in a theatre... but I don't.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-31-2021 at 05:44 AM.
11-01-2021, 09:20 AM   #100
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think I must be one of the few here who actually prefer screw-drive lenses with mechanical diaphragm linkage.
Yep there are a few people that enjoy their 1954 Hudsons too. These people can continue to enjoy their 67 year old classics. Don't have to 'worry' about an EMP taking out the computerized fuel injection. While the rest of us get to enjoy what technological advances have offered since then. Something for everyone.
11-01-2021, 09:26 AM   #101
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep there are a few people that enjoy their 1954 Hudsons too. These people can continue to enjoy their 67 year old classics. Don't have to 'worry' about an EMP taking out the computerized fuel injection. While the rest of us get to enjoy what technological advances have offered since then. Something for everyone.
Ooh, seems I touched a nerve there!

Last edited by gatorguy; 11-01-2021 at 11:14 AM.
11-01-2021, 11:29 AM   #102
mee
Veteran Member

No, I was agreeing with you in that those older screwdriven designs are hard to kill / long lasting. And there are some that value those, like you, for those reasons. While many of us here, in this thread, seem to appreciate the aspects of the newer tech. It was a friendly win-win response.
11-01-2021, 11:43 AM   #103
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

No, I was agreeing with you in that those older screwdriven designs are hard to kill / long lasting. And there are some that value those, like you, for those reasons. While many of us here, in this thread, seem to appreciate the aspects of the newer tech. It was a friendly win-win response.
Gotcha. I should have been clearer in my last-but-one post... I own plenty of in-lens-motor glass, and most of my A-mount lenses use electronic aperture control (the only ones that don't are fully manual with no camera-to-lens linkage). I fully appreciate aspects of the newer tech like you and others in this thread, and I acknowledge the benefits. I just prefer screw-drive, that's all. I know that makes me the odd one out
11-24-2021, 05:37 PM   #104
Pentaxian

Exaggeration. I would hardly compare Pentax equipment to a 1954 Hudson . Not very knowledgeable about the Hudson car I see.
11-25-2021, 08:02 AM   #105
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Exaggeration. I would hardly compare Pentax equipment to a 1954 Hudson . Not very knowledgeable about the Hudson car I see.
I would. And I did. We'll just have to agree to disagree and move on.