Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2021, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Z9, will it have a mechanical shutter?

I just a few last second updates on nikon rumors as this one is being release very soon. I noticed no mechanical shutter. I can’t afford a Z9 but this will basically be the Z6/7 4/5 specs in 5-7 years.

The Nikon Z9 will be the only camera on the market without a mechanical shutter

I’m betting if it has the same ability as the other Z cameras (Z5 can do 8mp 30fps and Z6ii can do 60fps in AF-C in movie mode, shooting stills) The Z9 should be able to do 33mp at 60fps if it has the same interface in addition to the 120fps DX mode.

Rumor is it’s going to leapfrog the top end Canon R3 and the Sony A1. Lots of hype its a D3 moment and Nikon is back in the lead performance wise. They kind of have to be to stay relevant at this point.

The Nikon Z9 shutter will close when the camera is off to protect the sensor
45 MP stacked sensor
20 fps (could be also 30fps as initially reported)
120 fps in DX mode with reduced resolution (11MP)
New AF tracking (humans, animals, birds eye AF + cars, motorcycles, and planes AF tracking)
No rolling shutter (better than Sony A1 and Canon R3)
Black-out free viewfinder in all situations (around 5MP)
No pixelshift feature (it could be implemented later with a firmware update)
There will be an 8K 60p video option with 1 hr time limit
Big improvements in the color balance
The Z9 price is expected to be less than the Nikon D6 camera that currently sells for $6,500.
Update #1 – a few more specs just came in (not verified, coming from a new source):

Weight: 300g heavier than the Canon R3 or around 1020g (the Nikon D6 is at 1270g)
Update #2:

Sensor read time is 4ms (the Sony A1 is 5ms) and this will allow 1/250 s in fash synchronization and more…
Update #3:

Only 20 fps with electronic shutter
The viewfinder resolution is 3.69MP
New fold-out and swivel LCD screen (we have seen that already in one of the teasers)
Newly designed menu system
Shipping is expected to start in December
8K 60 fps, N-RAW, and maybe other features will be added later with a free firmware update. The firmware update is also expected to be announced on October 28

Last edited by LeeRunge; 10-23-2021 at 06:39 PM.
10-23-2021, 06:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Sounds like an awesome camera, but yeah. It'll definitely be out of my financial reach. Hahha!
10-23-2021, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's the continuation of the same digital trend. Increased speed is a lot cheaper than increased sensor size, that's why camera makers keep pushing higher speeds, but no increase in image quality. Spec figures are easier to sell, because measurable by numbers.
10-23-2021, 09:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I just a few last second updates on nikon rumors as this one is being release very soon. I noticed no mechanical shutter. I can’t afford a Z9 but this will basically be the Z6/7 4/5 specs in 5-7 years.

I’m betting if it has the same ability as the other Z cameras (Z5 can do 8mp 30fps and Z6ii can do 60fps in AF-C in movie mode, shooting stills) The Z9 should be able to do 33mp at 60fps if it has the same interface in addition to the 120fps DX mode.

Rumor is it’s going to leapfrog the top end Canon R3 and the Sony A1. Lots of hype its a D3 moment and Nikon is back in the lead performance wise. They kind of have to be to stay relevant at this point.

The Nikon Z9 shutter will close when the camera is off to protect the sensor
45 MP stacked sensor
20 fps (could be also 30fps as initially reported)
120 fps in DX mode with reduced resolution (11MP)
New AF tracking (humans, animals, birds eye AF + cars, motorcycles, and planes AF tracking)
No rolling shutter (better than Sony A1 and Canon R3)
Black-out free viewfinder in all situations (around 5MP)
No pixelshift feature (it could be implemented later with a firmware update)
There will be an 8K 60p video option with 1 hr time limit
Big improvements in the color balance
The Z9 price is expected to be less than the Nikon D6 camera that currently sells for $6,500.
Update #1 – a few more specs just came in (not verified, coming from a new source):

Weight: 300g heavier than the Canon R3 or around 1020g (the Nikon D6 is at 1270g)
Update #2:

Sensor read time is 4ms (the Sony A1 is 5ms) and this will allow 1/250 s in fash synchronization and more…
Update #3:

Only 20 fps with electronic shutter
The viewfinder resolution is 3.69MP
New fold-out and swivel LCD screen (we have seen that already in one of the teasers)
Newly designed menu system
Shipping is expected to start in December
8K 60 fps, N-RAW, and maybe other features will be added later with a free firmware update. The firmware update is also expected to be announced on October 28
If it doesn't have a mechanical shutter, then what shutter is closing to protect the sensor? It will have a mechanical shutter.

"Big improvement in color balance?" What does that mean? Nikon files have always had great colors. I didn't think they were bad enough to allow for any big improvements.

Hopefully the Z9 is an A1/R3 killer on steroids.

10-23-2021, 10:01 PM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If it doesn't have a mechanical shutter, then what shutter is closing to protect the sensor? It will have a mechanical shutter.
Protective 'shutter' just for cycling the camera Off is my guess. The read out seems fast enough that a mechanical shutter during image taking would get in the way. It's essentially a video camera that can take stills. We've made it.

That's long been the direction we've been heading with digital cameras. Started off stills only. then stills with video as a side feature. Now its essentially video with stills as a side feature. Well, more or less. The buffer isn't unlimited of course.
10-24-2021, 12:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

To me, more steroids means more quantity of spray and pray, it's going in the opposite direction of what I expect from a camera.
I'd be more happy the day Nikon enter the medium format segment.
10-24-2021, 12:24 AM   #7
JPT
Pentaxian

Weren’t the Sigma fp and fpl the first cameras without mechanical shutters? I know they have some issues with movement that the Z9 will probably do better at, but Sigma was still there first with the purest example of what a mirrorless camera can be.

10-24-2021, 12:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

As JPT mentioned, thats not really new. Even recently Sony saved some production cost, by crippling their a7c to not have a fully function mechanical shutter option any longer. The a7c is limited to efcs or just es (and that with Sony's abysmally slow readout times, where the Z9 will be much better).

going to leapfrog
I hope for Nikon that they will not only again come late to the game with another metoo product like the specs you quoted suggest.

Currently it sounds like an
  • A1 minus resolution, minus EVF resolution, plus 60p for 8k, plus cheaper
  • R3 minus eye controlled tracking, minus GPS, minus motorsports tracking, minus more expensive, plus resolution, plus 60p for 8k
  • potentially minus 30 FPS, if it is only 20 FPS
If they offer a better functioning version of the F-mount adapter then at least on the FPS side they could draw even with Canon for Sigma and Tamron lenses, which Sony actively cripples down to 15 FPS only on the A1.

The Z9 doesn't seem to provide a single strong aspect beyond what's already there from the competition.
That might convince the few remaining Nikon fans, but why should anybody else go down this route?
I don't see this winning anybody over from the other brands nor stopping the leakage from Nikon away.

Let's hope the big spec things are yet to be revealed.
10-24-2021, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
As JPT mentioned, thats not really new. Even recently Sony saved some production cost, by crippling their a7c to not have a fully function mechanical shutter option any longer. The a7c is limited to efcs or just es (and that with Sony's abysmally slow readout times, where the Z9 will be much better).

I hope for Nikon that they will not only again come late to the game with another metoo product like the specs you quoted suggest.

Currently it sounds like an
  • A1 minus resolution, minus EVF resolution, plus 60p for 8k, plus cheaper
  • R3 minus eye controlled tracking, minus GPS, minus motorsports tracking, minus more expensive, plus resolution, plus 60p for 8k
  • potentially minus 30 FPS, if it is only 20 FPS
If they offer a better functioning version of the F-mount adapter then at least on the FPS side they could draw even with Canon for Sigma and Tamron lenses, which Sony actively cripples down to 15 FPS only on the A1.

The Z9 doesn't seem to provide a single strong aspect beyond what's already there from the competition.
That might convince the few remaining Nikon fans, but why should anybody else go down this route?
I don't see this winning anybody over from the other brands nor stopping the leakage from Nikon away.

Let's hope the big spec things are yet to be revealed.
It’s all about the autofocus on this Z9 which we’ll have to see if it pans out. Thats a big if. The R3 eye AF is pointless if the Z9 just has much better AF overall. The slowness of your eye could be the limiting factor if a computer is actually good at point selection. In the end it’s a professional body and that’s all they’ll care about is getting more opportunity’s at the perfect shot so they can have an edge on the competition.

The other advantage I can see happening is the Z mount came last and it’s large enough to have adapters for basically every lens made should the demand rise for those adapters. That’s something that won’t be possible with any of the others.

So we’ll see when they review it. If the AF is that good it’ll trickle into the next nikon body’s just like with the D3/4/5/6 into the D700/500/850/750 etc.

I pity the person who has to sort through all these images at these frame frames, 120fps, ouch.

And as mee said. We’re at the point of video camera’s that take stills now as they’ve dropped the shutter and only a protective version for the sensor remains.

---------- Post added 10-24-2021 at 06:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
To me, more steroids means more quantity of spray and pray, it's going in the opposite direction of what I expect from a camera.
I'd be more happy the day Nikon enter the medium format segment.
I’ve used the 30FPS stills mode on the Z5 a couple times and it’s not fun sorting through all that after the fact to find the one you like. It’s about to get far worse it looks like. Cool for the professional sports people or someone trying to get a hummingbird or eagle or something though for that specific case.

This camera won’t be for me, I’m happy with the Z5, but if it succeeds it’ll probably secure Nikon’s future if they can pull off the lead again for autofocus as they have in the past.

---------- Post added 10-24-2021 at 06:34 AM ----------

"Big improvement in color balance?" What does that mean? Nikon files have always had great colors. I didn't think they were bad enough to allow for any big improvements.

Looks like it’s just a shutter to protect the sensor from dust when changing lenses. Or maybe from the sun when not in use.

I do hope it succeeds because these 3 will push the envelope for camera tech and we’ll reap the rewards when it trickles down to lower priced body’s in 5-7 years.

---------- Post added 10-24-2021 at 06:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Sounds like an awesome camera, but yeah. It'll definitely be out of my financial reach. Hahha!
Same here, Z5iii or iV maybe in a while lol.
10-24-2021, 07:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Looks like it’s just a shutter to protect the sensor from dust when changing lenses. Or maybe from the sun when not in use.

I do hope it succeeds because these 3 will push the envelope for camera tech and we’ll reap the rewards when it trickles down to lower priced body’s in 5-7 years.

I would be rather surprised if Nikon doesn't implement a mechanical shutter. I use the e-shutter on my A9s more than the mechanical, but I still have use for the mechanical. I have not had any reason or desire to upgrade, but a better mechanical is on my wish list for the A9III if one is ever produced. Nikon needs some "wow" tech to get some momentum going. They are producing some sold cameras and lenses (just like Panasonic), but they are just a step behind Canon and Sony right now.
10-25-2021, 02:40 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It’s all about the autofocus on this Z9 which we’ll have to see if it pans out. Thats a big if. The R3 eye AF is pointless if the Z9 just has much better AF overall. The slowness of your eye could be the limiting factor if a computer is actually good at point selection. In the end it’s a professional body and that’s all they’ll care about is getting more opportunity’s at the perfect shot so they can have an edge on the competition.

The other advantage I can see happening is the Z mount came last and it’s large enough to have adapters for basically every lens made should the demand rise for those adapters. That’s something that won’t be possible with any of the others.

So we’ll see when they review it. If the AF is that good it’ll trickle into the next nikon body’s just like with the D3/4/5/6 into the D700/500/850/750 etc.

I pity the person who has to sort through all these images at these frame frames, 120fps, ouch.

And as mee said. We’re at the point of video camera’s that take stills now as they’ve dropped the shutter and only a protective version for the sensor remains.

---------- Post added 10-24-2021 at 06:32 AM ----------

I’ve used the 30FPS stills mode on the Z5 a couple times and it’s not fun sorting through all that after the fact to find the one you like. It’s about to get far worse it looks like. Cool for the professional sports people or someone trying to get a hummingbird or eagle or something though for that specific case.

This camera won’t be for me, I’m happy with the Z5, but if it succeeds it’ll probably secure Nikon’s future if they can pull off the lead again for autofocus as they have in the past.

---------- Post added 10-24-2021 at 06:34 AM ----------

---------- Post added 10-24-2021 at 06:36 AM ----------

Same here, Z5iii or iV maybe in a while lol.
I have a hard time imagining that the Z9 will move the market since it is likely to cost between 6000 and 7000 dollars. I'm sure the tech will be amazing, but Nikon isn't going to gain market share through a high end camera like this,

I'm sure they'll make money on it, but actual units sold won't be very high.
10-25-2021, 03:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have a hard time imagining that the Z9 will move the market since it is likely to cost between 6000 and 7000 dollars. I'm sure the tech will be amazing, but Nikon isn't going to gain market share through a high end camera like this,
Nikon's Z9 is aimed at professional sport photographers, sure they won't sell it in high quantities. It's a flagship to help restore Nikon's brand image as a technology leader, and influence sales of lower spec Nikon cameras. Whether the stacked sensor tech will be used in the next general purpose cameras (aimed at hobbyists) is another story because stacked sensors are significantly more costly to make (costs at least twice as much, assuming stacking process is free of losses). Evidence is, Sony have implemented stacked sensors in the A9 and A1, but kept using normal sensors in newer A7 models.
10-25-2021, 10:18 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is good news for Nikon! Long waited high performance to get in same line with 2 other companies. Let’s see if it will be as good or even better? Hope so!

Other wise things are going to be boring.

Hopefully some things more interesting is coming too. Although flagships are needed too. I suppose that Nikon will also improve Z6&7 line too, to get them competitive with canon
10-25-2021, 04:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

I'm sure they'll make money on it, but actual units sold won't be very high.
It’s all about the trickle down effect from it. If it pulls off class leading AF for example, that will end up in later Z6/7 models making them very attractive. Same thing that happened with the D4/5/6 and the trickle down of it’s AF into the D850/750/500. All of which were top of the class in AF for a lot of years, D850/500 still have really good AF systems.

If they don’t get onboard with video that’s on par with Sony/Canon though that will end Nikon. Todays world of multimedia demands good video just as much if not more than photo capability imo. Sony/Canon are head of the pack with that right now.

---------- Post added 10-25-2021 at 04:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
It is good news for Nikon! Long waited high performance to get in same line with 2 other companies. Let’s see if it will be as good or even better? Hope so!

Other wise things are going to be boring.

Hopefully some things more interesting is coming too. Although flagships are needed too. I suppose that Nikon will also improve Z6&7 line too, to get them competitive with canon
Hopefully the competition is good. I think Z is the most weathersealed by far of the big 3 though. My Z stuff is proving just as good as my Pentax K’s and DA* lenses, for less money. They really seal the Z glass thoroughly and almost all of them.

In the past you only got basic sealing around the mount on F glass or only in very top of the line lenses. Same with Canon. Sony hasn’t done well in weatherproofing up until recently.

This used to be the realm of Pentax and Olympus. Weathersealing is the reason I bought Pentax over Nikon/Canon in 2009 when I bought my first DSLR.
10-25-2021, 11:32 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It’s all about the trickle down effect from it. If it pulls off class leading AF for example, that will end up in later Z6/7 models making them very attractive. Same thing that happened with the D4/5/6 and the trickle down of it’s AF into the D850/750/500. All of which were top of the class in AF for a lot of years, D850/500 still have really good AF systems.

If they don’t get onboard with video that’s on par with Sony/Canon though that will end Nikon. Todays world of multimedia demands good video just as much if not more than photo capability imo. Sony/Canon are head of the pack with that right now.

---------- Post added 10-25-2021 at 04:13 PM ----------

Hopefully the competition is good. I think Z is the most weathersealed by far of the big 3 though. My Z stuff is proving just as good as my Pentax K’s and DA* lenses, for less money. They really seal the Z glass thoroughly and almost all of them.

In the past you only got basic sealing around the mount on F glass or only in very top of the line lenses. Same with Canon. Sony hasn’t done well in weatherproofing up until recently.

This used to be the realm of Pentax and Olympus. Weathersealing is the reason I bought Pentax over Nikon/Canon in 2009 when I bought my first DSLR.
Yeah, I suppose that Canon has pretty good weather sealing, not sure about Sony...even if they have it.

About that video aspect, Canon and Sony has pretty nice video line from their legazy, not so much can be said about Nikon. Althou, there has been rumour atleast that Nikon has been working with Blackmagic to get their video improved? This could be very good thing for both of them. Blackmagic is not propably goign to be able to get Canon RF and they will need advanced mirorless mount in orde to get more possibilities as well as propably need with AF...well there is one possibility if they'll work together with Nikon? Nikon will get very good video and they will create nice combo all in all. You can adapt EF lenses to Z, with out a problem, if one has them(I only have K-mount).

Interesting times. I suppose that in 2 years there will be plenty to choose from and they can't compete with numbers only, there must come more interesting* stuff also. After all If Nikon does get AF 'right', there is not much more what a normal human could need. In fact already Z5&6&7 AF is 'enough', even K-3III is now enough for many(me included).

*About that eye controlled AF from Canon, actually our eyes are very fast, faster than our brain. So they might be on to something at there, and this kind of special things will set them apart and specify from the crowd. Other thing is if people will want to have that or not. But yeah. we will see...