Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2021, 09:47 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
But you don’t have to use the mechanical shutter on a R3, R5 or A1 at all so they will probably last a long time.
yes they'll last a long time until the next new better camera model is released.

10-28-2021, 09:48 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Z9 does deliver. Finally good news for Nikon users it really does look impressive and FW updates will get it even better.

Video specs does look quite impressive even if there is pixel binning in some modes. But it does seem that it need to be on great level too in order to be competitive. Nice!
10-28-2021, 09:51 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
In the (arctic) field It was cool to watch new camera or not, and there's more from his trip (i subscribe to his channel)
When I see the pictures and ear the music, my hand want to pull the credit card out of the wallet, I don't know why. But I think it's unfair that Nikon only sponsors the photographer, not the fox, not the reindeer. The foxes and reindeer should get together and go on strike until Nikon accept to send them some food.

---------- Post added 29-10-21 at 06:57 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That dude has pervy vibes to me. But I will say I have heard a similar comment, on the performance of the Z9 over the Z7II, from another photog that got a review copy and posted their thoughts on another forum. They said after using the Z9 they went back to their Z7II and the Z7II then felt sluggish to them (in all aspects). They were bummed (to go back). haha
Not a surprise. Are you planning to buy a Z9? It looks to me that the Z9 is a excellent must have and future proof camera.
10-28-2021, 11:42 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems like Nikon just parked their tanks on everybody else’s lawns.

10-29-2021, 12:21 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It looks to me that the Z9 is a excellent must have and future proof camera.
No camera is future proof, they will continue to offer more and more.
10-29-2021, 12:50 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like great piece of equipment. I am not a pro so I even do not want to try it, nothing in it for me, K-3/3 gives me everything I need. But I applaud Nikon and wish for nice low level gear with similar tech for more seriously oriented hobbyists. Perhaps if this camera sells well then Nikon will be able to kick Sony in balls in both pro and consumer level gear.

But if it does not sell, then Nikon is screwed. I think R&D cost for this camera was immense.
10-29-2021, 02:51 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's hard not to feel enthusiastic about Nikon right now.

Also, upcoming 24-120/4 - sweet!

10-29-2021, 02:51 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That dude has pervy vibes to me. But I will say I have heard a similar comment, on the performance of the Z9 over the Z7II, from another photog that got a review copy and posted their thoughts on another forum. They said after using the Z9 they went back to their Z7II and the Z7II then felt sluggish to them (in all aspects). They were bummed (to go back). haha

I think 3rd gen Z's will be very pleasing indeed. I suspect the 3d tracking and much of the video/burst features will trickle down to them. That makes me even more glad I didn't spend the extra bucks on a Z6II over the Z5. I'll just spend the money on Z lenses in the meantime or just save it.

It will be interesting to see if the Z6III keeps using a 24MP sensor or uses a newer 30+MP jobby. I think Nikon will want to distinguish the Z7III from the Z9 in resolution. So they will want to increase the pixel count on the Z7III (maybe to 61MP?) and let the user pick high(est) resolution Z7 or speed(ier) Z9.

Which makes me think the Z6III could go along for the ride as well.

I could see the Z5II getting most of the Z6II internals but minus the top lcd panel and support for the grip again. That said, I also suspect the Z5 won't get a refresh until after the 3rd gens are released. Maybe by an additional year after.

That or their won't be a Z5II and Nikon could just move the Z6II into the lower price bracket.
I won’t be surprised if they move very fast on the Z7iii and Z6iii. That would give them a full lineup that would be at least as good as anything offered by Canon and Sony now that they have the AF sorted out. I think the Z lenses are best of all three personally and we’ll probably see adapters for every other lens made eventually because Z is the largest mount.

I agree the Z5 ii if there is one will be a bit longer, they’ll probably just use up the remaining expeed 6 boards with it.

I’m also very glad I went Z5 and not 6ii knowing the iii is likely going to have a lot of the improvements the new Expeed 7 enabled with the Z9. Like you said I’ll add Z glass and wait for that next body. Z5 has been fine for me outside trying action stuff with it, it’s not great for that.

If I were buying a top level pro camera and money’s no limit I would go Z9 and Z glass imo if I could pick any of them. I’m actually really surprised how good the video is on it, that may be the most impressive part. The DPreview guy seems to think it may be the best mirrorless camera for video at the moment. I didn’t expect that.

---------- Post added 10-29-2021 at 02:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Looks like great piece of equipment. I am not a pro so I even do not want to try it, nothing in it for me, K-3/3 gives me everything I need. But I applaud Nikon and wish for nice low level gear with similar tech for more seriously oriented hobbyists. Perhaps if this camera sells well then Nikon will be able to kick Sony in balls in both pro and consumer level gear.

But if it does not sell, then Nikon is screwed. I think R&D cost for this camera was immense.
I have a feeling there’s a lot of D850 and D5/6 owners who already preordered. Once the AF and improvements for that Expeed 7 processor trickle to the Z6/7/5 iii and ii Nikon will have an extremely solid line of cameras and lenses. They have the best weather sealing of the big three or maybe anyone right now with the Z camera’s. And all the Z lenses so far have been performing very well in tests. I think Sony will get it square in the jingles when that happens. The A7IV was pretty lackluster.

It’s good news for all of us because this high end tech will trickle into things like Z5, RP and lower end Sony’s so we’ll have what’s in these Z9/A1/R3’s in entry/prosumer 1000-1500 dollar body’s in 3-5 years. The D4/4s AF was in the 7200/750 within a few years, D850/500 got the D5 AF soon after as well. Nikon won’t waste time using what they developed in the Z9 to update the 5/6/7’s to make Z very competitive across the board.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 10-29-2021 at 03:00 PM.
10-29-2021, 03:07 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nikon needs to be able to get enough of them built so they don't have long waits for them. They seem to be really slow with fulfilling orders more so than the other brands. My local camera store back in February had a back order of D850 customers from when Nikon had a big discount last November December time frame and even when the D6 came out it was back ordered from the start and that body seemed to not be very popular with Nikon users.
10-29-2021, 03:15 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Nikon needs to be able to get enough of them built so they don't have long waits for them. They seem to be really slow with fulfilling orders more so than the other brands. My local camera store back in February had a back order of D850 customers from when Nikon had a big discount last November December time frame and even when the D6 came out it was back ordered from the start and that body seemed to not be very popular with Nikon users.
I expect it’s going to be exceptionally bad with the current chip/component shortages. The Z6ii was sold out for about 3-5 months after it’s launch.

At any rate they’ll likely sell quite a few Z9’s at $5500 to current D850 owners and D4/5/6 owners. The R5 is @$4000 already.
10-29-2021, 03:25 PM   #41
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It's hard not to feel enthusiastic about Nikon right now.

Also, upcoming 24-120/4 - sweet!
Oh yes. I was wanting a 24-70 f/2.8 lens. But I might just get the 24-120 f/4 instead. Use my faster primes when I want to shoot indoors or other lowlight scenarios. That 40 f/2 is pocketable it seems and might be on the list too.
10-29-2021, 03:27 PM   #42
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I expect it’s going to be exceptionally bad with the current chip/component shortages. The Z6ii was sold out for about 3-5 months after it’s launch.

At any rate they’ll likely sell quite a few Z9’s at $5500 to current D850 owners and D4/5/6 owners. The R5 is @$4000 already.
I remember that. There was such a shortage of Z6II that I went with the available Z5; I waited and hunted for months before going with the Z5.

Nikon had a similar short supply of D850's at launch too.
10-30-2021, 12:50 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Nikon marketing said the demand was higher than anticipated. They are too successful, that's why.

---------- Post added 30-10-21 at 09:51 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I expect it’s going to be exceptionally bad with the current chip/component shortages.
Pentax doesn't have problems with chip shortages, so apparently Pentax manage their supply chain better than Nikon.
10-30-2021, 02:05 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I remember that. There was such a shortage of Z6II that I went with the available Z5; I waited and hunted for months before going with the Z5.

It was somewhat similar with the D800 at launch and even back then I think they were producing something like 30000 per month and the D4 5000 per month
10-30-2021, 05:17 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More good footage of the AF system at work. I can’t wait for this to trickle down to the 6 line.