Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2022, 09:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Nikon Picture Controls.

I would like to mimic the Picture Controls Nikon has. I have seen in Nikon Picture Control Editor there is a Picture Control to mimic 'Agfa Optima' and an other to mimic 'Kodak Gold 100'. For example if I start from Custom Image Natural in my K5 what parameters should I adjust to achieve a certain effect? I do not mind if I can not save the Custom Image to the card as the Nikons do, I can write in paper the parameters and manually put them whenever I want. Has anyone experimented with the parameters to achieve repeatable effects? Is there a database of them?

01-14-2022, 11:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Some RAW converters allow you to apply film simulations. RawTherapee & DxO come to mind. Keep in mind that the film simulations are kind of close to what the original films look like, but not exactly the same. It's almost impossible to duplicate them exactly.
01-14-2022, 01:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DXO filmpack does all that and more. For any camera supported.
01-14-2022, 01:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hidrieus Quote
Has anyone experimented with the parameters to achieve repeatable effects? Is there a database of them?
Somewhere here in this site there is a thread about sharing Pentax jpeg style tweaks to achieve certain film style, I don't remember where that thread is, it's a few years old.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hidrieus Quote
For example if I start from Custom Image Natural in my K5 what parameters should I adjust to achieve a certain effect?

To achieve certain film look requires:
- matching of a tone conversion curve based on various light levels, e.g matching of film level reproduction over the 10 zones system
- matching of color conversion based on various hue points of the color wheel. It can be done using color patches and adjusting each color with HSV (Hue Saturation Value) parameters, RGB curve points for each color patch, or L* ab.
The starting point of the input file (standard or flat) doesn't matter as long as that choice remains consistent after the tone & color conversion settings are established.

It's possible to get close to a film look, but doing so manually is time consuming. There are some scripts that take two images and automatically tweak tone curve and color parameters to two images to match.
That method may not work well if the color style conversion isn't linear continuous (should be Ok to mimic monochromatic films or color films), 3D LUTs are used from large number of hues to match any color style.

---------- Post added 14-01-22 at 21:08 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
DXO filmpack does all that and more. For any camera supported.
DXO is great for that. Lots of cameras supported.

01-19-2022, 04:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
DxO filmpack

DxO filmpack costs 139€.