Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2009, 12:47 AM   #1

Is the new Canon EOS 7D a Nikon D300s killer?

A comparison with the K7 at the bottom of the article

Is the new Canon EOS 7D a Nikon D300s killer? | Digital Cameras & Camcorders | ZDNet.com

KP

09-03-2009, 12:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skamalpreet Quote
A comparison with the K7 at the bottom of the article

KP
All very nice but many camera buyers don't go after specs. here are still many who like the look of that red triangle or who have some sentimental Nikon -feeling or know someone with Nikon, or see pro's shoot with Nikon. All these things count for more than specs I think.
09-03-2009, 01:50 AM   #3
Forum Member

It's pretty clear that the K-7 is the 7D killer.
09-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link

09-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
Inactive Account

very interesting, and what about this from the other forum.

7D noise reduction: where did the texture go?: Canon EOS 7D / 50D - 10D Forum: Digital Photography Review
09-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OPTMEKX& Quote
WOW!!

That is pretty shocking! Where did Canon go wrong??? It looks like they seriously screwed up on their noise reduction algorithm!! I guess they rushed the product to market and didn't care like Canon does with their cameras (with the exception of the Mark 2's and 3's).

Sadly it has Canon on the front of it which means it will sell nicely.
09-04-2009, 05:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
WOW!!

That is pretty shocking! Where did Canon go wrong??? It looks like they seriously screwed up on their noise reduction algorithm!! I guess they rushed the product to market and didn't care like Canon does with their cameras (with the exception of the Mark 2's and 3's).

Sounds like they just left it on default NR which is pretty heavy handed. If you set it to low or even off then it's entirely different.

My 50D on default is a little too "smeary" but on low it looks great.

In other words, a lot of noise(!) about nothing.... people are quick to jump to conclusions without actually thinking about it for a second.

09-04-2009, 08:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WOW!!

That is pretty shocking! Where did Canon go wrong??? It looks like they seriously screwed up on their noise reduction algorithm!! ...
Interesting comparison indeed. This being said, I personally don't care all that much about these JPEG NR comparisons. The very great majority of serious photographers shoot RAW, therefore such comparison mean diddly squat to me ! What we need to see is a comparison of the native sensor performance in the type and amount of noise generated at higher ISOs. I couldn't care less about in-camera NR, vigneting and CA reduction for that matter as they don't apply to the RAW images. So why are the majority of us spending so much time comparing and arguing about cameras JPEG performance against one and another ?
09-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the 7D will keep Canon users in the Canon systems. The camera is (pre)selling well - Amazon pre-orders sold out. The big question is quality at high ISO with all of those megapixels. The Nikon d300s has some cool features, such as dual cards - SD and CF. Not sure if it is raid, but images can be written to both cards to prevent failure due to a bad card.

The k7 is looking better and better! Sales are strong, great reviews and the green line defect seems to have been resolved. Pentax may have a real winner on their hands. At $400+ less than the 7D and d300s, it is the best choice for many.
09-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
Interesting comparison indeed. This being said, I personally don't care all that much about these JPEG NR comparisons. The very great majority of serious photographers shoot RAW, therefore such comparison mean diddly squat to me ! What we need to see is a comparison of the native sensor performance in the type and amount of noise generated at higher ISOs. I couldn't care less about in-camera NR, vigneting and CA reduction for that matter as they don't apply to the RAW images. So why are the majority of us spending so much time comparing and arguing about cameras JPEG performance against one and another ?
A lot of the time people just look for comparisons that aren't fair but rather lean towards their own personal preference/agenda...
09-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
A lot of the time people just look for comparisons that aren't fair but rather lean towards their own personal preference/agenda...
And it's possible to select different crops of the Imaging-Resource comparometer images to "demonstrate" that a given camera is superior to just about any other...
09-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
And it's possible to select different crops of the Imaging-Resource comparometer images to "demonstrate" that a given camera is superior to just about any other...
Pretty much. And a good 18MP sensor like in the 7D won't be much different from a good 15MP sensor like in the K-7.

The strength of the 7D is in the whole package: 8fps, very capable AF system.

The strength of the K-7 is the in body stabilization, the weather sealing, and the compact primes for those who want a small setup.

Unfortunately, hardly any of the reviews consider real world usage.
09-05-2009, 01:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
In a way, comparing JPEGs straight out of camera does make sense for the mass market. A lot of dSLR buyers just use JPEG off the camera without any intention to Post-Process those images. I used to be one of them . Partly a matter of convenience, partly because I was totally ignorant of RAW software PP when I first went digital.

That's the market segment that camera makers have to cater to with decent JPEG engines and effective in-camera Noise Reduction. It wouldn't be wise to ignore the size of that market.
09-05-2009, 03:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Seems like a great camera! It's huge though and size and ergonomics are a huge factor of my satisfaction with my K-7.

I really like the little switch for video to still camera
09-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

WOW!!

Well the tried to cram too many mega-pixels onto an APS sized sensor. IMO its apparent the Pentax K-7 is a threat to them in that price range and it might take some sales (I know nothing big or to hurt them...), this is the reason for it being. So they are playing the mega-pixel game and consumers especially many Canon consumers sadly will fall for it and say WoW 18mp, but I am 95% sure when all the tests and reviews come in that's going to be one soft sensor with detail lacking even at iso100 compared to others. That camera is for the person who looks at features and specks and does not know what noise is. They may look at the K-7 and be compelled by all the specks...