Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

Canon has me crying to carry Pentax again

I wont say I hate my Canon 7D. When it comes to deliver it does all that and much more. The 8FPS is amazing, and shooting sports has never been this easy for me. However, try carrying it for a whole day as an everyday shooter... yea... I'm thinking about getting a Kx for my normal pictures, and only use the 7D for when I need it.

I sold all my gear, but I did keep my DA* 16-50mm. It was my first high end glass, and I wanted to keep it as a memory.

Is the Kx really that small? I'm going out tomorrow after class to play around with one. My biggest concern is that it takes AA batteries?

If any Kx owner does not mind to chime, please let me know what you think so far.

O yea and I am aware Canon has a small DSLR, but the Rebel is absolutely horrible! It feels like a kids play toy in your hand.

11-19-2009, 01:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Every day I go out with my 5D to shoot, I come home and would just let my K-7 fit in the palm of my hands and I kid you not, it makes me want to fondle it forever, it fits so nicely :-D
11-19-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
Damn Brit

Moved to Off Brand forum.
11-19-2009, 02:27 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Yes K-X is that small. Even compared to K-7 it is small and light. AA lithium batteries (supplied) really no problem. It is my everyday camera !

Paul

11-19-2009, 06:06 AM   #5

I actually PREFER the AA batteries for my needs. I travel a lot around Europe for quick weekend trips. I usually stay in a hostel and in the room as little as possible. Its nice to know that if my Eneloops die, I can go to any news agent and be back in business for a few quid. No need to worry about having to charge overnight or worry about losing expensive battery packs.

The Energizer Lithiums are the best store bought batteries I've tried, but beware of buying at touristy camera shops... they'll charge you a ten'er...
11-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

maybe you should read about all the K-X battery problems first
11-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

K-x battery problem posts outnumber SDM failures threads

K-x battery problem posts outnumber SDM failures threads thesedays.

I'm not a fan of a camera maker selling me a camera that then requires me to buy a set of rechargable batteries and charger. I did that 3 years ago with K-Mount and I won't do that again. What at first seems a very good price then costs more to obtain the un-included items with camera purchase. But people love AA batteries and Pentax gave it to them.

Pentax makes a camera that doesn't work with most existing AA rechargables that people already own: Thats Interesting

11-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Good Luck with the K-x

I just remembered a thread I read where numerous pentaxians are whinning about rechargeables not working in K-x. There are many threads but I'll serve this one up as a sample and your google can provide the rest:

NED BUNNELL: K-x Battery Notes
11-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
K-x battery problem posts outnumber SDM failures threads thesedays.

I'm not a fan of a camera maker selling me a camera that then requires me to buy a set of rechargable batteries and charger. I did that 3 years ago with K-Mount and I won't do that again. What at first seems a very good price then costs more to obtain the un-included items with camera purchase. But people love AA batteries and Pentax gave it to them.

Pentax makes a camera that doesn't work with most existing AA rechargables that people already own: Thats Interesting
What....Samsungian is not a fan of Pentax?... I'd get some info from the folks that own one...
11-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Every day I go out with my 5D to shoot, I come home and would just let my K-7 fit in the palm of my hands and I kid you not, it makes me want to fondle it forever, it fits so nicely :-D
This is a telling sentence - I loved the feel of the K-7 also, but if I still had it, I can't think of a time when I would use it over the 5D.
11-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #11

the battery problem is not a critical issue, just that there's a vocal minority that's rather paranoid about it and posting them everywhere. Half of them didn't even read why or how to fix it. "OMG CAMERA FAULTY SHOWING RED BATTERY ZOMGZOMGZOMG", where it's actually the battery that's worn out or giving low voltages.
11-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
What....Samsungian is not a fan of Pentax?
Shocker! I'm still trying to figure out why he regulars this forum when all he does is bash Pentax....

Im actually shocked he didn't responded sooner.....
11-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I used to own the K2000 and now own a K-7. The K-7 is slightly larger but not by much but it feels larger in a big way because the grip is perfectly shaped for comfort and feel.
11-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have and love the K-x, and while I have encountered some battery-related oddities they're easily fixed via the tips in the battery thread.

In most other respects, for a $600 new this little beast just blows me away. Phenomenal freedom in regards to ISO, speedy operation, just so easy to take pictures with. It's a great deal.
11-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Muggins Quote
I actually PREFER the AA batteries for my needs. I travel a lot around Europe for quick weekend trips. I usually stay in a hostel and in the room as little as possible. Its nice to know that if my Eneloops die, I can go to any news agent and be back in business for a few quid. No need to worry about having to charge overnight or worry about losing expensive battery packs.
You and me and maybe five others seem to be part of the small group of "People who think there are numerous advantages to AA batteries."

(Could be renamed to "People who regularly shoot more than five miles from their house.")

Granted, I do imagine video and live view would take a big toll on AAs. Fair enough.

But I propose a simple test: shoot with your choice of camera, until the battery(ies) die. Then go into the nearest 7-11, and if you're using AAs, buy some AAs and put them in your camera. If you're using the proprietary lithiums, take out your charger (did you bring it?) and ask the guy behind the counter if you can unplug the Slurpee machine for a few hours to charge your battery.

Whoever ends up shooting for the longest, wins.

Why people just look at shots per charge and stop there, I'll never know. Somehow it's better to have 1000 shots on a Li-ion than limitless blocks of 500 shots on AAs. (Those are just hypothetical numbers.)

And you can use those AAs for myriad other things. I'm not saying Li-Ions are bad, but the option of having AAs as well (as with the K-7's grip, which is a beautiful thing) is a bloody great idea.