Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Manual Focus lenses aren't dead!

This isn't so much news or a rumor as it is a musing.

I'm enheartened to see that there are still very high quality manual-focus lenses being manufacturer. I am thinking of the Japanese Zeiss brand and Voightlander by Cosina.

I'm very leerious now about autofocus lenses because I inherited a Sigma lens from the 80's for the EOS and I found that after two decades of autofocus advances, it didn't work on my Rebel XT.

Call me cheap. Call me old fashioned. But I really like using manual focus lenses for serious photography. I like the security in knowing that three decades from now, there will be no reason why I can't use the lenses I'm using now.

I'm not saying that auto focus doesn't have it's place. Candid portraiture, news and sports photography benefit greatly by the addition, but for everything else? Vive manual focus!

11-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have a point but the new camera screens don't make MF as easy as the older film cameras were.
11-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I still have to MF my kit lens because it never knows who I'm focusing on.
11-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
I still have to MF my kit lens because it never knows who I'm focusing on.
Well how would it know? You have to show it what to focus on!

11-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
You have a point but the new camera screens don't make MF as easy as the older film cameras were.
Agreed. I've been playing around with getting a KatzEye for my Rebel XT, but it always seems like a waste since I'm planning on migrating to Pentax digital where I have a sizable arsenal of manual focus lenses.
11-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You might notice that the Takumar thread is one of the largest on the forum.
11-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

And the mirrors not reflecting as much light to the viewfinder doesn't help either.

As for your Sigma lens, thank Sigma for their reverse engineering efforts and refusing to pay Canon for official support.

11-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My only film SLR was a Pentax Auto 110 so the DSLR viewfinders seem big & bright to me
11-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

He says he's using a Canon EOS. You can buy (on eBay) an EOS to ___ (like M42) adapter that has a focus confirmation chip in the adapter.

With that chip focus is not done by eye, the viewfinder lights up when focus is achieved. So despite the dim penta-mirror viewfinder focusing is almost as easy as autofocus.

When you achieve focus with a manual lens the Canon's viewfinder's focus point lights up like this. I think it's great and fast.

This pic is my Nikon D40 with an AF lens (it only autofocuses with AF-S lenses so AF and AF-D are manual focus). The little dot at the bottom left indicates focus has been achieved, I don't like it much.

I really like the Canon with AF chip, it's really fast for manual focus lenses.

Cheers,
Craig

Last edited by spystyle; 11-28-2009 at 07:44 PM.
11-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The issue you had with the Sigma lens is a pretty common problem with the older Sigma EOS mount lenses.

Another good resource for info on manual lenses of all kinds is Manual Focus Lenses :: Index. Like here, they're a pretty friendly crowd, as well. As a matter of fact, there are several people who post both here and there, so you'll recognize a few of the usernames.

I'm getting back into MF lenses for the first time since moving from Pentax to Canon, so I'm starting to collect old cheap M42 lenses. Last week, I picked up a Vivitar 35/2.8 and I just picked up a Sears 55/1.4 just this morning. I've already got the Vivitar, but I'm waiting on the EOS-M42 adapter (with focus confirm chip) to arrive before I can actually go out and play with my new toy.

Heather
12-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

...and thats why we shoot PENTAX. They some of the best viewfinders on the block!
12-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
...and thats why we shoot PENTAX. They some of the best viewfinders on the block!
That should be past tense. Compared to almost any film slr from the late '70s on, even Pentax viewfinders suck. (A small nod to the 100% coverage of the K-7)

Steve
12-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jadedrakerider Quote

I'm very leerious now about autofocus lenses because I inherited a Sigma lens from the 80's for the EOS and I found that after two decades of autofocus advances, it didn't work on my Rebel XT.
It probably barely worked when it was new. Canon is famous for making "advances" to ensure that the third party manufacturers stuff isn't forwards compatible. You can be assured that any Canon EF lens ever made will work properly on any Canon DSLR ever made.
12-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Nikon does one even worse, they release cameras that can't meter their own lenses of the same mount.

ie : My Nikon D40 can't meter a nice manual Nikon AI-S lens. Even though they are both Nikon F-mount lenses.
12-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It probably barely worked when it was new. Canon is famous for making "advances" to ensure that the third party manufacturers stuff isn't forwards compatible. You can be assured that any Canon EF lens ever made will work properly on any Canon DSLR ever made.
And Sigma is famous for not paying Canon the licensing fee and reverse engineering the protocol, rendering their lenses incompatible.