Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2010, 05:33 AM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jebus Quote
You sound extremely childish.

Just because you have buyer's remorse--for blowing thousands of dollars on a gizmo obsession--doesn't justify ad hominem arguments.

01-27-2010, 05:38 AM   #77

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote

Just because you have buyer's remorse--for blowing thousands of dollars on a gizmo obsession--doesn't justify ad hominem arguments.
Haha nice try
01-27-2010, 05:39 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Haha nice try
What are you talking about?
01-27-2010, 06:13 AM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
I really hope Canon, Nikon, Pentax, or some other company will contract Frog Design or Apple or some other hugely popular industrial design company to build a DSLR from the ground up; design, menus, buttons, etc. I think cameras would be much better.
Agreed! The canon menus are terrible. I can imagine someone new to photography just looking at them and not even attempting to learn what is hidden inside.

For example. The 7D has 5 AF modes, but only 3 are available from the beginning. You have to manually go into the menus to enable the other 2, and they are extremely useful AF modes. Crazy.

01-27-2010, 06:26 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
I'm crawling back into the lens forum which has a smaller population of dumbasses.
Please do -- this is the off-brand "no brand wars" forum and all you're doing here is jumping to the defense of Pentax as soon as anyone mentions enjoying a camera from another manufacturer.

Speaking of AF though, I found that the 10D I sold last year focused faster and more reliably than the K20D I owned, and the 10D was QUITE a bit older. Pentax have their strengths, autofocus NOT being one of them.
01-27-2010, 06:30 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Agreed! The canon menus are terrible. I can imagine someone new to photography just looking at them and not even attempting to learn what is hidden inside.

For example. The 7D has 5 AF modes, but only 3 are available from the beginning. You have to manually go into the menus to enable the other 2, and they are extremely useful AF modes. Crazy.
I suspect that the reason they are disabled is that they require a bit more knowledge/skill on the camera user's part, and if they left them as an obvious option out of the box they'd be inundated with tech support calls and returns from people who claim their camera is "broken" because they can't figure out how the modes operate.

The one thing I really do dislike about Canon's controls is their stubborn refusal to make mirror lockup easier to get to. A lot of people complain about this with every body released for the past ten years (or more), yet they refuse to put a damned button for it on the camera and give us the "direct print" button which is OH SO USEFUL instead.
01-27-2010, 06:32 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Please do -- this is the off-brand "no brand wars" forum and all you're doing here is jumping to the defense of Pentax as soon as anyone mentions enjoying a camera from another manufacturer.
Your post is making it difficult, no? I disagree about the "jumping" part of your post...

QuoteQuote:
Speaking of AF though, I found that the 10D I sold last year focused faster and more reliably than the K20D I owned, and the 10D was QUITE a bit older. Pentax have their strengths, autofocus NOT being one of them.
I totally agree about AF.

01-27-2010, 06:43 AM   #83

I suspect that the reason they are disabled is that they require a bit more knowledge/skill on the camera user's part, and if they left them as an obvious option out of the box they'd be inundated with tech support calls and returns from people who claim their camera is "broken" because they can't figure out how the modes operate.
It's funny you mention that. If you've visited a Canon forum lately it's inundated with new users complaining about focus issues. One post mentioned "it can take a pretty good full auto pictures, but other modes are blurry and out of focus

Last edited by Jebus; 01-27-2010 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Spelling!
01-27-2010, 06:45 AM   #84
Veteran Member

It's funny you mention that. If you've visited a Canon forum lately it's inundated with new users complaining about focus issues. One post mentioned "it can take a pretty good full auto pictures, but other modes are blurry and out of focus".
Ain't it scary when somebody spends nearly $2k on a new camera and won't even bother to understand how to use it? I guess people figure mo' money = mo' better and that it'll just be like a supercharged point and shoot to use...
01-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Ain't it scary when somebody spends nearly $2k on a new camera and won't even bother to understand how to use it? I guess people figure mo' money = mo' better and that it'll just be like a supercharged point and shoot to use...
That is the truth. Many people that can afford a k-7 or 7D have absolutely no knowledge about photography fundamentals. As a result they complain. The common one is "I can't get sharp photos!" The high resolution of the 7D (and the k20D/K-7 as well) combined with pixel peeping, and a lack of knowledge, is a "dangerous" thing. Below is a short, excellent article that everyone that has a DSLR should read. So it is from Canon, but they are talking about all higher-end DSLRs:

Canon Professional Network - Pixels and Image Size
01-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #86
Veteran Member

the K7 isn't even as big a step as most Pentaxians wanted in the AF department, you're dreaming if you believe it was.
I earn my living off shooting sports and weddings and K-7 AF has filled it role just fine as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure what "Most Pentaxians" were hoping for. I use both AF-S and AF-C quite a lot and found both to be fast and accurate. These shots are both AF-C using DA*16-50mm. The riders were going between 20 and 30 mph at a range of about 5 feet which creates a very challenging AF environment and these photos are sharp by any standard. I can only assume that a chunk of people complaining about K-7 AF is similar to those complaining about 7D AF... it is not a magic bullet but it does the job quite nicely for me. But maybe I'm just a dreamer as you say... .

01-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #87
Veteran Member

*points to self* i'm a very lazy person after years of shooting a entry level DSLR (Rebel) i actually get excited when i show my little nephews (who aren't as lazy) how to use the camera to it's potential; that said, the manual for my 7D remains untouched so i rely on the internet to fill me in

@kunik and you do a fine job from the images posted *fist pump* LOL
01-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #88

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
it is not a magic bullet but it does the job quite nicely for me. But maybe I'm just a dreamer as you say... .
Oh no, I'm 100% certain the K7's AF works perfectly and can be used for all types of sports. I used my K10D for a lot of sport photography and I was able to get some great shots. I didn't say you're a dreamer if you like the AF system, I said if you think it was the AF upgrade that most people wanted in the K7 then you're dreaming. Although the word dreaming seems a tad excessive now reading it back . Fantastic shots by the way. (where's the damn thumbs up icon!)

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
The high resolution of the 7D (and the k20D/K-7 as well) combined with pixel peeping, and a lack of knowledge, is a "dangerous" thing. Below is a short, excellent article that everyone that has a DSLR should read. So it is from Canon, but they are talking about all higher-end DSLRs:

Canon Professional Network - Pixels and Image Size
Excellent article.

Last edited by Jebus; 01-27-2010 at 06:23 PM.
01-30-2010, 04:08 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Not to rain on anyones hard work but one needs to compare ones own photo's of a genre with the same taken with top end Nikon & Canon models and generally you will find that the fast moving (especially head on) shots taken with Pentax lack the sharpness & "bite" so to speak.

Yes you can pre-focus on a spot etc etc but I'm talking about focusing speed when things sometimes happen out of the blue e.g. a buck suddenly springing out of the bush at full flight with a lion chasing it

This happened with my son borrowing a friends D90 and every shot was in pin sharp focus - to be quite honest I wish a Pentax had such a good af.

Trust me I'm a die hard Pentax user but having used the "autofocus" on the D90, D300s & 7D it's a no brainer which system is leagues ahead.

If I was planning on using a dslr to earn money from sport photo's it definitely would be a Canon or Nikon

Some downhill mtb images

Downhill Mountain Bike Images - Photography & Digital Camera Forums
01-30-2010, 04:20 AM   #90
Veteran Member

I posted this on another forum but as I'm still a pentax fan and still love the Pentax community i'll post it here too:

I ordered a 7D last week and it arrived Monday morning. I was a bit worried about the focusing and sharpness as it has been widely reported that some 7D's have had issues. Thankfully this baby is sharp as ever and the focus is spot on. Amazing camera, huge step up from the K10D which is to be expected.

- Focusing is lightning quick, it's just insanely fast and accurate. I've actually just sat here a few times focusing on random objects, hard to believe it's such a massive step up.
- The button configuration will take a bit of getting used to but I already love the large wheel on the back. It's so much nicer to scroll through photos than to press buttons. I'm not a huge fan of 'second function' buttons but I guess it's better than burying it within a menu, and with the canon UI there is a lot of burying to be had.
- It feels really good in your hands. I was tempted to get a K7 after some playing around with one, and the size of the 7D worried me a little but it feels like it was built for my hands, which aren't big I might add.
- The screen on the back is actually useful! It's colour reproduction and clarity is actually a really good indication of how your shot turned out.
- The K10D is known for it's awesome ISO100 quality, but go past ISO800 and you're in trouble. While i was working on some shots with the 7D I noticed some grain, and I thought to myself "Gee that's a little grainy", little did I know I was viewing an ISO1600 shot not an ISO100 shot... It's magical and I honestly feel more 'free' as stupid as that sounds. I don't have to worry at all about going to ISO 1600 - 3200.
- The metering also blows me away....It seems to just produce perfectly exposed shots with little effort.
- Movie mode is a lot of fun. I didn't purchase this camera for movie mode but it's definitely something i'm going to explore and use.

As a whole I'm finding it to be the perfect package, I just can't fault it at all. I wholeheartedly recommend the 7D to anyone considering a purchase.

I still love Pentax I should add, my K10D served me damn well over the last couple of years and the Pentax DA* 50-135 is my favorite lens of all time, but this camera is just.... I love it. I've purchased a sigma 50-150mm f2.8 to replace my DA*, we'll see how it goes.
I'm glad you wrote this as I come from the same camp as yourself with re: purchasing the 7D or 300s OR the D700/5DMK11 but finding it very hard to "divorce" my K10D