Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2010, 11:36 PM   #16
Damn Brit

From the Preview "... The NX, by contrast, has been developed entirely in-house, independently of Pentax (or any other partner: Samsung claims the NX is 100% Samsung)"

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
According to Pentax Ceo, Pentax makes Samsung Dslrs, so that means Pentax makes the NX-10 for Samsung too, right ???

Maybe this is why pentax can only make two dslrs thesedays, K-x and K-7 as they also been preparing to make NX-10 for Samsung. I'd like to know if NX-10 is made in Philippines or Korea to decide who builds NX-10.

Hoya Eyes $1 Billion M&A to Boost Health Business (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

"Partnership For Pentax

The Pentax division will have to build a partnership in order to compete with larger rivals in the digital-camera market, Hamada said. Pentax supplies Samsung with single-lens-reflex cameras for sale under the South Korean company’s brand. "

01-04-2010, 02:07 AM   #17
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
...The NX, by contrast, has been developed entirely in-house, independently of Pentax (or any other partner: Samsung claims the NX is 100% Samsung)"[/I]
Like the Samsung DSLR lenses were developed by Samsung-Kreuznach?

Last edited by emr; 01-04-2010 at 02:16 AM.
01-04-2010, 03:39 AM   #18
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NX lenses maker.

It's officially announced
http://kr.news.yahoo.com/service/news/shellview.htm?linkid=4&articleid=20090...newssetid=1352

OPTRON-TEC : The Exclusive Lens Provider of Samsung NX

OPTRON-TEC announced that they contracted with Samsung Imaging to provide lenses exclusively for Samsung Hybrid Camera system on July 9.

The concept of Hybrid Camera is to emerge from DSLR and compact digital camera.

OPTRON-TEC said that "Now, we signed with Samsung Imaging to provide the lenses, and the production line is under final test. We will begin mass production on next month(August 09).

OPTRON-TEC is known as one of major lens provider of Samsung cameras.

:+: ()? :+:
01-04-2010, 04:01 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was surprised to see this thread moved to off-topic.

Up to now, the Samsung NX was always discussed in Pentax News & Rumors and ogl posted some stuff in the Samsung subforum.

Anyway, here is some additional information not covered by the DPR preview:
  • EVF has a poor black level, making the image to appear to lack contrast.
  • EVF / Screen fast in good light
  • EVF / Screen noisy in low light
  • Bulb exposure limited to 8 minutes
  • MP4 movie recording limited to 25 minutes.
  • Audio mono, not external microphone plug.
  • No AF during movie recording!
  • Manual AF during movie recording is audible due to focus by wire motor.
  • Focus motor audible but not noisy.
  • The above statements implies (to me) that lenses have no ultrasonic focus motor.
  • Shutter rather noisy, like E-P1 or GF1. K-7 much quieter.
  • Lenses have a "cheap" appeal. All plastic made.
  • Bajonet ring metal by default, plastic for 18-55.
  • AF speed about entry level dSLR, but only "almost" as fast as Panasonic mFT.
  • Manual focus automatically activates a 2x loupe.
  • Upon first inspection, image quality of NX and GX20 is about the same.
[Source: Samsung NX10 Vorabtest (German)]

01-04-2010, 04:02 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm. Looks quite cool, and if that pancake is good, the body+pancake combo is quite attractive. On the other hand, it's not stabilized like the Panasonic 20mm, so if all you want is a pocketable camera with a fixed normal lens, the GF1 with the 20mm may look more attractive (it's smaller and 10% lighter).

As soon as you mount the 18-55, the size advantage over the K-x gets less important, IMHO, since it's no longer pocketable. And the weight difference? The NX-10 weighs 612 g with 18-55, the K-x weighs 780 g.

And when you mount the 50-200 lenses on each camera, the NX-10 is both heavier and larger!
01-04-2010, 04:21 AM   #21
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I was surprised to see this thread moved to off-topic.

Up to now, the Samsung NX was always discussed in Pentax News & Rumors and ogl posted some stuff in the Samsung subforum.

NX10 has nothing to do with Pentax Falk any previous threads not moved were an oversight.
The Samsung forum was created because the GX10 and 20 were rebadged Pentax DSLR's and is pretty much redundant now, NX10 is not a DSLR. I have now moved the one thread that was in there.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 01-04-2010 at 04:27 AM.
01-04-2010, 06:32 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Is it just me or is the EP-1 the only real revelation? The panasonic and this thing just look like slightly smaller e420's ... if that.

01-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Is it just me or is the EP-1 the only real revelation? The panasonic and this thing just look like slightly smaller e420's ... if that.
I don't know about that; if you haven't held the GF1, well you need to take a look. The EP-1 is nice and all, but the GF1 is a well engineered photographer's camera. Since you have to use the LCD of both these cameras, the GF1 is alot nicer and the refresh is fast. I haven't picked up a P&S lately but the GF1 LCD is crisp and bright, and the camera overall is very responsive.
01-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #24
Pentaxian

What I haven't read here yet is that the NX10 could well be the MF lenses shooter's dream. I mean... An APS-C sensor is way bigger than the 4/3 sensor, so finally a nice solution for shooting our old DSLR lenses, even the ones that could not be used on DSLR's previously (for instance the Canon FD and Konica mount which both have shorter registration distances than the PK mount).

I would think that the Chinese mount adapter makers would completely jump on this new camera.
01-04-2010, 08:16 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
What I haven't read here yet is that the NX10 could well be the MF lenses shooter's dream. I mean... An APS-C sensor is way bigger than the 4/3 sensor, so finally a nice solution for shooting our old DSLR lenses, even the ones that could not be used on DSLR's previously (for instance the Canon FD and Konica mount which both have shorter registration distances than the PK mount).

I would think that the Chinese mount adapter makers would completely jump on this new camera.
To a certain extent, but a lot those people already have some form of the M4/3 cameras. The greater DOF would be nice though.

There will definitely be several adapters from the 3rd party manufacturers on ebay shortly after launch. If Samsung's adapter doesn't offer anything more than a manual mount, they won't be able to sell one for more than thirty bucks. Perhaps they will get around this by not allowing a picture to be taken 'without a lens mounted' - i.e. while their adapter will be fully manual, it will communicate with the body that a lens is mounted, while 3rd party adapters won't be recognized/allowed. If they prohibit the shutter from tripping without a 1st party lens or adapter, that is the only way their adapter will sell (of course this would be a massive mistake, more like something Sony would do, but I wouldn't be surprised either).
01-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I don't know about that; if you haven't held the GF1, well you need to take a look. The EP-1 is nice and all, but the GF1 is a well engineered photographer's camera. Since you have to use the LCD of both these cameras, the GF1 is alot nicer and the refresh is fast. I haven't picked up a P&S lately but the GF1 LCD is crisp and bright, and the camera overall is very responsive.
But you're talking about refinement, i just don't see the point of mirrorless with no real viewfinder if it's barely bigger than a Kx to begin with and the sensor is smaller (talking the panasonic line here), I just don't get it.

The EP-1 is genuinally small and matched to small primes offers a genuine alternative, everything else so far is a slightly bigger e420 for double the price and no mirror.
01-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
1600 ISO, 1/400s, F11, 18-55 kit lens

3200 ISO, 1/90s, F2.1, 30mm F2 lens

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10010403samsungnx10gallery.asp
01-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
But you're talking about refinement, i just don't see the point of mirrorless with no real viewfinder if it's barely bigger than a Kx to begin with and the sensor is smaller (talking the panasonic line here), I just don't get it.

The EP-1 is genuinally small and matched to small primes offers a genuine alternative, everything else so far is a slightly bigger e420 for double the price and no mirror.
huh? Are we talking about the same camera?

GF1: 119 mm x 71 mm x 36.3 mm
EP-1: 121mm (W) x 70mm (H) x 36mm (D) (excluding protrusions)

Both cameras make the e420 look like a beast, and neither have a viewfinder or mirror (though the GF1 has an optional VF attachment, and the EP-2 also has that option...but is also $1099 at amazon currently with the VF included). The EP-1, with no EVF option is $800, only $100 less than the GF1 which has a faster lens included.

The 20mm F1.7 pancake with the gf1 is also smaller and faster than the 17mm f2.8 (granted the GF1 doesn't have in-body IS).

It is certainly all about trade-offs, I'm giving the GF1 a go (got a corporate discount through work) - after giving it a quick try in-store, I think it will be a nice camera to keep close by.
01-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Bahhhh I was thinking the Pansonic GH not GF, my mistake.

Looking at the comparison photos to the PEN, the larger sensor does make zoom lenses look rather silly on it but it SCREAMS DA15/21/4070 FA35/77.

Pentax are dead set asleep at the wheel most times.
01-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

AHA!

I agree, these cameras are definitely made for pancakes and small primes. I decided to pickup the 45-200 for the GF1 as well (again, sweet corporate discount, not sure what my employer has to do with panasonic but I'll take it!). None of these cameras will fit into your pants pocket, but a jacket pocket is doable (the K-x is certainly almost as small, but just about 1-2 inches too thick, even w/the 40mm).

Something like Panasonic's 7-14mm is also very appealing, though pricey - being about the size of the pentax kit 18-55 lens is very nice though! But, it doesn't accept filters which is kind of a killer for some uses. These are all intriguing for a 2nd camera, I am sure the big 2 have their own versions in store as well, so this segment will be very interesting to watch over the next few years. Much like the Netbook market for laptops - they seem to serve a complimentary purpose for some, an everyday purpose for others (the only difference being these small cameras are expensive!) - it is clear there is a market for these cameras, how deep that market is will play out for some time I think. Anyway, just some thoughts on the subject!