Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does Anyone Here Have a Leica X1?

I don't know why, but I am fascinated by this camera. I'm not sure I could bring myself to spend that kind of money on a P&S, but unfortunately I'm not absolutely sure that I couldn't, either.
Does anybody have any hands-on with one?

Leica X1

03-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was thinking about getting this for my dad. I just wish they would have made it fixed at a more normal focal length instead of 24mm.
03-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I would rather see 30-35mm range, but I think I could live with 24.
03-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
emr

Are you really thinking that it's such a great camera or is it the red dot that you want? I admit that this is one of the smallest (if not the smallest) cameras with an APS-C sensor and can have a very good IQ, but there are negative aspects too. Even if we ignore the price tag, there's the fixed lens and slow AF (I suppose you've read the reviews) at least. I personally would rather get a nice m4/3 camera.

03-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Intriguing camera to me, APS-C in such a small format...but not yet worth it to me.
03-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Are you really thinking that it's such a great camera or is it the red dot that you want? ............
A little of both, and if the answer weren't so embarrassing, I would tell you which is the bigger draw.
03-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
A little of both, and if the answer weren't so embarrassing, I would tell you which is the bigger draw.
nothing embarrassing to be honest. that red dot means something, something beyond a high price. I admit the X1 has some flaws, that make its price tag not worth it (at least to me), but it seems to be a damn fine camera. and it gets that from the engineering and expertise that is abundant in the company behind that red dot.

03-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I was in the market for an APS-C P&S, I'd look at the Ricoh GRX as well. Reports of the 50mm macro module have been positive with respect to IQ, although AF is a little slow. They also have a more compact 24-70 zoom with a smaller sensor and other modules planned.

In any case, I hope this market grows - and I wish Leica will release a version of the X1 with interchangeable lenses. That would be interesting!
03-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
nothing embarrassing to be honest. that red dot means something, something beyond a high price. I admit the X1 has some flaws, that make its price tag not worth it (at least to me), but it seems to be a damn fine camera. and it gets that from the engineering and expertise that is abundant in the company behind that red dot.
From what I have read on the Leica forum, it seems that most of the complaints could be resolved through firmware. The only physical complaint seems to be that the dials on top are too easily turned and the flash pop-up switch isn't recessed. Since there don't seem to be any of the cameras available right now I think I'm safe.
03-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
From what I have read on the Leica forum, it seems that most of the complaints could be resolved through firmware. The only physical complaint seems to be that the dials on top are too easily turned and the flash pop-up switch isn't recessed. Since there don't seem to be any of the cameras available right now I think I'm safe.
for a period of time.
04-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Still hoping for an APS-C or larger rangefinder that is Epson priced or lower. Too bad the recent rumors on that was an April Fools prank.