Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Leica IIIf + lenses.. Worth it?

Hey guys. I have a quick question.. Today I was at an estate sale, and lo and behold I find a box with a beautiful Leica IIIf in it! It comes with two rangefinder eyepieces, both in excellent shape, and a Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon S 80mm f/2, Canon S 35mm f/3.2, and Canon S 135mm f/4; all in what I would rate as Excellent++ condition. There is also a nice lightmeter, but I forget what brand it is. They are asking $200 dollars firm for the whole set. Is it worth the price? What is a set like this generally selling for these days? They set it aside for me until tomorrow, so I need answers ASAP please. TIA to everyone.

04-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes............
04-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

YES!!! even a quick peek at ebay or KEH will tell you... this could be the bargain of the year, the Leica by itself is worth 2-3x the price...

Last edited by Nesster; 04-09-2010 at 02:23 PM.
04-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hope you bought it. I'd send it off to Youxin Ye for a CLA; he does an excellent job at a lower price than most.

04-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #5

Original Poster
Got it!

Thanks for the advice, guys, helped a lot. I scooped it up yesterday It turns out the Leica is the original 1934 model III, not the IIIf, but that's fine. Doesn't detract much from the value.

I played around with it all day yesterday, brought it in to my favorite (read: only) local camera shop to see if they could help me figure out how to load the film. While I was there I took out some of the minty, chrome Canon Serenar lenses and attracted a small gathering all wanting to hold them I felt like I was carrying the holy grail or something. They ARE beautiful though!
Anyway, the guys, great as they are, couldn't figure out how the hell to get the film in. I swear it's like tinkering with an old BMW!
So I brought it back home, found an online manual for one of the later models, which helped a lot. I finally got the film in (QUITE a process ) advanced it, and now it's snapping fine. Can't wait to get that Kodak BW400CN I put in developed and see what this baby (and it's assortment of $300+ lenses) can do!

I'll get some pics up of it as soon as I can. Again, thanks for all the help!
04-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Make sure to cut the leader of the film rather than mess with leaving the shutter open and trying to wrestle things in place (which some people recommend but IMO is a bad idea). Did you get any hoods with the lenses?

I had a 1935 III and it was a great camera. Still have my IIf and M4-2.
04-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You made out like a bandit.

I have a IIIf and have had it for many years. Check out Rangefinder Forum. They have an entire section devoted to screw mount Leicas. The cameras are a lot of fun to use and are, of course, capable of excellent work. My only complaint is the viewfinder. Or at least my only complaint now that I have older eyes and progressive lenses. I have added external finders (SBOOI 50mm; SGVOO 90mm) to be exact and it has made all the difference. Here is a good link. Leica FAQ - Accessory "bright-line" viewfinders (Loading the thing will become a snap once you do it a couple of times.)

04-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Pingflood makes a good point. Be sure to trim the leader. Leitz made a trimmer but they are very hard to find and you really don't need them. Instead, count 24 sprocket holes from the end and using scissors just cut half way into the roll and then over to the end. The idea is to make a long tongue with a smooth curve where the tongue transitions. (If I'm not being clear, point your index and middle finger and curl your ring and little finger up. The tongue will look something like your index and middle finger; you'll cut away the space underneath them.) Just don't cut through a sprocket hole. The film sprockets will chew up little bits of film if you do.
04-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah, what Mike said. Make sure to make smooth, rounded "corners" so there's nothing to snag on...

The magical Leica film trimming guide was sold as the ABLON and I've seen knockoffs sold on ebay now and then but they really aren't needed as has been pointed out.
04-12-2010, 04:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SMPhoto Quote
Hey guys. I have a quick question.. Today I was at an estate sale, and lo and behold I find a box with a beautiful Leica IIIf in it! It comes with two rangefinder eyepieces, both in excellent shape, and a Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon S 80mm f/2, Canon S 35mm f/3.2, and Canon S 135mm f/4; all in what I would rate as Excellent++ condition. There is also a nice lightmeter, but I forget what brand it is. They are asking $200 dollars firm for the whole set. Is it worth the price? What is a set like this generally selling for these days? They set it aside for me until tomorrow, so I need answers ASAP please. TIA to everyone.
If it works, it's a bargain. Buy it.

Ben