Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #121
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Show me the data. Definitely not the case in Japan. All the FF cameras combined accounts for less than 3% in Japan. Growing? Not nearly keeping pace with APS-C and hybrid cameras.

Of course they are very different as far as target users is concerned.
But Pentax's potential FF camera and Pentax's potential mirrorless camera are identical in their source of R&D budget, marketing budget, R&D engineers and manufacturing. So Pentax would have to choose one of the two if they were to expand beyond their current DSLR model line-up. And I doubt they have the resource to develop both types of cameras requiring new lens system.

You know, their wallet may be tight(and it actually is), but Hoya has load of cash. If Pentax can provide enough evidence to convince Hoya, coming up with adequate R and D resources for FF and mirrorless projects is not a problem at all, even in this economic climate. In fact, I think that is the least of their problems.

Last edited by Nubi; 10-06-2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Because I would FF if they came out with it.
10-06-2009, 11:49 PM   #122
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Show me the data. Definitely not the case in Japan. All the FF cameras combined accounts for less than 3% in Japan.
Japan? It's not above 17% world DSLR market.
Data? Find in the web. 2009 - 7%.

Last edited by ogl; 10-07-2009 at 04:02 AM.
10-07-2009, 04:27 AM   #123
Forum Member

ogl: are there any speculations about new system flash? af540fgz is old piece...
10-07-2009, 06:00 AM   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i thought the cmos design itself was pentax's, and the manufacturing samsungs, if i am not mistaking pentax holds some patents to sustain that claim? i'm just saying..

i love that sensor, i hope they keep it and improve it (the fact the k-x employs a cmos is encouraging, i am not sure who manufactures it/designed it though)

ogl: you are really and terminally bored, aren't you?

10-07-2009, 06:01 AM   #125
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
The problem is I never use flash...I have no any information about new flashes
10-07-2009, 06:31 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Hahaha, guess the crystal ball doesn't work if the issue isn't on Ogl's radar.

I guess he's been right a few times with the prognostications? Well, throw enough *&%@ at the wall and something will stick.
10-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #127
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
i love that sensor, i hope they keep it and improve it (the fact the k-x employs a cmos is encouraging, i am not sure who manufactures it/designed it though)
Sony. It's the only 12Mpix APS-C CMOS sensor with Video capabilities available AFAICT.

10-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Hahaha, guess the crystal ball doesn't work if the issue isn't on Ogl's radar.

I guess he's been right a few times with the prognostications? Well, throw enough *&%@ at the wall and something will stick.
So true...

It's the same with back masked songs. You say enough words...play them backwards...you'll hear some crazy stuff. I would doubt that "Another one bites the dust" was engineered to be "It's fun to smoke marijuana" backwards, for example.

On another fun note...ogl's blog doesn't show up via Google. Don't search for it...don't click it from here...there'll be no traffic to it
10-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Data? Find in the web. 2009 - 7%.
Yeah, "Find in the web"...
I read it somewhere "in the web".... it has to be true then.
:ugh:
10-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The problem is I never use flash...I have no any information about new flashes
On flash issues, there's... "Room to impress me?"

'P-TTL' was not exactly a selling point for me here. Never did rely on so much as an old 'dedicated' flash, but if I'm swinging a little computer around, I'd have at least* liked real TTL.

Maybe some things aren't meant to be.
10-08-2009, 02:19 AM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
There's no way it would get the Hoya logo. That would be an extremely bad move because Hoya does not have the brand recognition that Pentax has. So that simply won't happen.
And Hoya understand this.
There might be some chance that they would use the Hoya name on something else related, like a set of budget K mount lenses. Using the Hoya name to separate budget lenses from Pentax lenses would make sense. They made Hoya lenses in the past. But using it on a flag ship camera? Never! Unlike Sony, who ditched the Konica-Minolta name, Hoya has not a large brand recognition among consumers. They sell glass to other manufacturers. If instead Samsung had baught Pentax, they may have changed the name on the cameras.
10-08-2009, 05:04 AM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
And Hoya understand this.
There might be some chance that they would use the Hoya name on something else related, like a set of budget K mount lenses. Using the Hoya name to separate budget lenses from Pentax lenses would make sense. They made Hoya lenses in the past. But using it on a flag ship camera? Never! Unlike Sony, who ditched the Konica-Minolta name, Hoya has not a large brand recognition among consumers. They sell glass to other manufacturers. If instead Samsung had baught Pentax, they may have changed the name on the cameras.
Sony had no choice - Minolta still exists.

Hoya would be mad not to use the brand name. Its worth more than the assets.
10-08-2009, 05:58 AM   #133
Pentaxian

Sony had no choice - but companies like Sony or Samsung would use their own name anyway (since they use those names for a lot of retail products).
Hoya... is not really interested to promote it's own name. And they're not mad, either

Re. naming budget lenses, well... either DA-L (or something on that line) or Takumar would be just fine. I don't see the 'Hoya' name used for budget products only.
10-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #134

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Originally Posted by ogl
K-8 (?) is under development. with new AF-C system and high fps.
it's true.

as for FF - Pentax is bringing into development the camera and lenses. But don't hope for quick release.
Also with improved video function is what I heard. Also they should get rid of that stupid knob on the right upper hand corner of the lens mount. It is aesthetically not appeasing. They really wanted to for K-7, but they were not able to.
Which sensor (maker) will it be using?
10-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #135
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaddigad Quote
Which sensor (maker) will it be using?
CMOS. The manufacturer - no info.
Sony or Samsung. I've heard - not above 15 MP.