Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Forum Member

50-135mm, disappointed and broke

Hi all,

I've had my K10D for almost 2 years now and it's one of the better investments that I've made in my life. I recommended Pentax to my girlfriend (who was just getting into photography) who bought a K200D from a brick-and-mortar and a 50-135 from a forum member here (who shall remain nameless). I told her to buy here because all my transactions had been positive and fair...

Long story short, this forum member kind of screwed her over. The lens came with a dying SDM motor, no lens hood or caps, and no warranty card. The seller didn't want to give her a refund. She said she HAD the warranty card, but repeated emails couldn't persuade her to part with it. As of now, no emails are being returned. Caveat emptor, I guess.

So she sent the lens to Pentax Canada for repair out of warranty, and she got the quote today. Comes out to slightly more than $400 CAD.

We just moved to a new city, and she's going to school next year. We don't have the money for this, but at the same time, she's already sunk 750 bucks into a lens she can't use.

So she's a little burnt. Got a nice camera, bought a nice lens, wanted to take some pretty pictures. Now she's on the hook for more than a 1200 CAD for a lens with no lens hood or caps, a 6-month Pentax Canada warranty and a possibly chronic SDM failure problem that may or may not return.

It's been 6 months and that camera hasn't left the shelf.

Now she's a trifle turned off photography in general, and I feel like a jerk who gave her crappy advice.

Well, I'm not trying to make this a "whine and complain" thread - I know that trying to wring sympathy out of the internet is a futile gesture .

But honestly, what do I do?

10-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #2

Sad broke G/F here. Being a newbie, I knew nothing of lenses/cameras etc, so I thought manually focusing the lens was what I had to do to make it work... it worked perfectly when I was manually focusing it for the first couple of days and took phenomenal photos - but then all of a sudden it started focusing on its own and surprised me. I didn't know it was supposed to do that! I thought it was a setting I changed on my camera! But then it stopped, and started and stopped and started etc. I showed it to my BF and he said that it is ALWAYS supposed to focus automatically unless you set your camera and the lens to manual and that the lens was malfunctioning and that I should contact the seller.

Needless to say, I contacted the seller over and over and over and over (I trusted her that she didn't know about the SMD issue and JUST wanted the warranty, lens hood cover and the soft cover for the lens and all of the other paperwork to send it in to have it fixed) and she kept telling me "I have the missing stuff, it will be in the mail tomorrow, or monday or next week bla bla bla" She kept giving me health excuses on why she cant get it in the mail or that she was too busy - and I remained compassionate with her problems and tried to sit tight. Now she wont contact me at all, and I don't care for the reason why anymore. Sigh. I am really upset that I have a dud lens that I cant afford to fix... not to mention a nice camera I have a bitter taste in my mouth for...
10-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #3

The seller has promised me several times that she would send the paperwork as well as all of the missing pieces but still, I have not received a shred of paper - it is too bad that she listed the lens when she was selling it as MINT but neglected to include everything in the box (it WAS nicely shipped though)

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Can you ask the seller the original purchase invoice, which shows the date of purchase and where it was purchased from (an authorized dealer?). Even a copy or email to verify the legit purchase might work. Without any evidence of the purchase receipt it is hard to identify whether the warranty is still valid.

I purchased a few items from fellow members (some from US); they purchased the lens from Prodigital2000 online. Since the dealer is in Canada, the item has 2-year warranty minus whatever the previous owner has taken ownership. The original purchase had one-year warranty but after transfer I have 2-year minus a few months.

I also have purchased from members in the US who have purchased items from authorized dealers. I sent in the International warranty card and Pentax US added the stamp for me to service in Canada.

One question though, if the previously owner does not have the hood, I would start getting suspicion about how the previously owner take care of the equipment (I mean it is not cheap stuff). Did you pay the item via Paypal? Is there something they can help?

See my notes in the above, so far, warranty is transferable in Canada from date of purchase (original owner), not sure about Pentax US though.
10-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps people should not blindly believe everything that is posted.

Perhaps a buyer in their own words bought a lens to take pictures at her brothers wedding and even sent an email stating how much she loved the lens and how beautiful the images were it took.

Perhaps the seller still has all these emails????
There was nothing wrong with the lens. Look at the facts, who on earth would wait almost 2 months to let a seller know something was wrong with a lens they paid that much money for????? HELLO!!!
Plus I insured it for the full retail amount just in case something happened during shipping to protect her. The tiny piece to the lens hood and the bag were shipped out and returned to me.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Perhaps the buyer is slandering and trying to ruin my name and business because I would not take the lens back after about 2months of her having it and loving it. Perhaps the buyer is upset that I would not also send them money.

Perhaps the seller is now looking at taking legal action against the buyer who is now posting on one of my web sites????? Interesting that now there are new claims of additional pieces missing. Also she has been repeatedly told it was out of warranty both verbally and in written communication.
And to clear things up, my health situation did not arise until months after the lens was sold in perfect working condition! The only reason my Pentax equipment was sold is because I have a real viable photography business and need to be able to rent equipment locally when I need it and it is impossible to do with Pentax in this area. There are always to sides to every story. Perhaps other sellers should beware of selling here, this could happen to you too. So morale of the story, if you are going to make posts like this you should consider the buyer may have kept all your emails and can produce them if they decide to take legal action against you as and use them as proof. I will never sell another item here, never. It doesn't matter how honest I have run my business for over 25 years. All it takes is 1 buyer to post like this and your name turns to mud.
I will also note that a slanderous comment was added to one of my web sites despite my working with a mod to clear this up. So what does this say about the buyer??????

I have had a recent interest in one lens I still have for sale and I will not sell it now even though it works like new because of this experience. So this buyer is slandering and costing me time and money.

If any one has an issue over this thread contact me, except the buyer, I will no longer communicate with them with out a lawyer. This is serious, someone is playing a game and I am done playing. There are real world consequences folks.
Sincerely
Rosemary Dennis Taglialatela
professional photographer portrait event product editorial fine art corporate

215-918-1281

Last edited by rmtagg; 10-21-2009 at 08:35 AM.
10-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would ask this thread not be locked. I have a right to have my side of this read.
10-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have instead deleted all posts by parties uninvolved in the matter so that no misconceptions arise.

It seems to me that the seller actually did everything correctly here, and with no bad intentions. Considering that two whole months passed prior to the first complaint about the lens, I would say that at that point, seller was no longer responsible for the condition of the lens.

Nevertheless, I must stress the importance of a clear return policy in all future marketplace sales by all users. A dedicated field is now available for this (and has been for the past month), and I suggest everyone fill it out clearly so that future problems like these can be resolved in a timely and fair fashion.

I also ask that in the future, you contact the site staff as early as possible as soon as a conflict arises. While I try to resolve all Marketplace conflicts fairly for both parties, waiting so long definitely does not improve your chances of sounding credible both with us and the item seller.

Should you still have problems with this transaction, please work with each other via PM, or contact me directly
. My main concern here is with the package that was supposedly sent, containing part of the lens hood and a bad, as well as the warranty card. Was it sent to the wrong address, or did you simply not pick it up? Also, if the lens had a manufacturing defect, I believe Pentax would fix it for you free of charge; there would also be no way for the seller to know this about the lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
Closed Thread