Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2009, 11:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Sorry, camera did not work with Hybrid batteries that my Ds, Sony, Canon and others work with ..... camera is on its way back as of 2ish this afternoon.
When I got my K-x I noticed the following:

1. The Body package in Germany ships with a set of Eneloops and Sanyo charger bundled at no extra cost. Shrinked wrapped by Pentax.

2. I didn't want to wait and first put another spare set of Eneloops which I had freshly charged. The K-x ran out of power after a couple of mnutes!!

3. Replaced the set of Eneloops by a charged set of NEW Eneloops and no problems: Stays on power for a week now.

My conclusion: The K-x is very picky on the supplied voltage. It may well be that one cannot charge the Eneloops hundreds of times when to be used with the K-x.

My recommendation: Keep a spare set of unused Eneloops ready.

10-31-2009, 11:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

1. The Body package in Germany ships with a set of Eneloops and Sanyo charger bundled at no extra cost. Shrinked wrapped by Pentax.

2. I didn't want to wait and first put another spare set of Eneloops which I had freshly charged. The K-x ran out of power after a couple of mnutes!!

3. Replaced the set of Eneloops by a charged set of NEW Eneloops and no problems: Stays on power for a week now.

My conclusion: The K-x is very picky on the supplied voltage. It may well be that one cannot charge the Eneloops hundreds of times when to be used with the K-x.

I wouldn't be surprised if your 'old' Eneloops now work too if you tried them again...
10-31-2009, 12:26 PM   #18
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What we're noticing is probably the same phenomenon between all the AA-powered dSLRs.
High power drainage and requirement for sustained voltage throughout, making a lot of the AA batts not quite meeting the camera's needs.

Nevertheless, if a set of good batts known to work well on another dSLR or high-powered device doesn't do much on your cam, it sounds like a power issue on the cam. Let us know how it goes...
10-31-2009, 12:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if your 'old' Eneloops now work too if you tried them again...
I would be surprised, so I tried it.

The used set was charged again and went into my Bluetooth keyboard just two hours ago. This set normally lasts for more than a month (in the keyboard).

Back into the K-x (I waited 20s like Ned suggested), the K-x, when powered on several times, was 1. dead, 2. starting with a "battery depleted" message , 3. dead again.

However, exactly the same used set powers on my K-m ok and the K-m reports half charge for it.

Putting my new set (now one week old and in use within my K-x since then) back again into my K-x, the K-x, when powered on several times, was 1. alive (battery red), 2. alive (battery green full sign). Within the week I used video and live view, although not more than maybe half an hour. I am now getting a half charge symbol when using LV for a while.

Point is, my used set of Eneloops which works great in other devices cannot even power on my K-x. The K-x is very tight on required voltage. With factory-new Eneloops however it works as advertized.

10-31-2009, 12:28 PM   #20

I had the same thing with "old" eneloops. Drained in few shots, reinserted, waited for a minutue and everything works smoothly so far. Over 600 shots (indicator in orange now).
10-31-2009, 12:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Can anybody confirm, whether K-x takes CR-V3 batteries and run with properly with them?

Atindra
10-31-2009, 12:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
Can anybody confirm, whether K-x takes CR-V3 batteries and run with properly with them?
Credit were it is deserved ...

RH examined this question for the K-m (K-x is mechanically identical) and proposed a homemade battery which has better sustainability.

The link is here: RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-m Battery Issue, Solution and Timing Measurbations

10-31-2009, 01:28 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eneloops and chargers

Something I noticed early on with my Eneloops. One set of Eneloops I bought came with a Sanyo charger. I had and older charger I used for my batteries for my point & shoot. It works fine for the regular NiMH batteries but if I tried to charge the Eneloops with it they don't last long at all. If I charge the same set in the Sanyo charger they last a lot longer. Some of this may be the chargers people are trying to use to charge their Eneloops. They may not be getting properly chargered to their full capacity. Just a thought.
10-31-2009, 11:10 PM   #24

Just purchased a K-x, and popped in my Energizer 2450 (the ones that claim to hold charge for 6 months), and they are absolutely fine.
11-01-2009, 12:33 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Credit were it is deserved ...

RH examined this question for the K-m (K-x is mechanically identical) and proposed a homemade battery which has better sustainability.

The link is here: RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-m Battery Issue, Solution and Timing Measurbations
I hadn't been to RH's blog in a long time. I'd forgotten what garbage it is.

I threw up in my scotch. Someone owes me a drink.