Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2010, 03:06 AM   #1

ask something..

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

hello..
i'm a newbie here, in this forum
i'm a SP user..
here.. its my slr..

it is hard to find the battery in this era
so, i was thinking that im gonna pick this clip on light meter for my SP

but the problem is..
its says that this meter is for H3 or the H3v
is this meter will compatible for my SP?
thanks before..

05-12-2010, 06:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The meter couples to the speed dial on the H3/H3v. I don't know if the dimensions would be the same on a spotmatic. You'd probably need to use this meter as a manual hand meter, and there's likely to be better, cheaper hand meters for you to use than this.

If you search here or on the net for spotmatic battery you'll see there are many alternatives for feeding the camera, including hearing aid batteries etc with an O ring to make it fit, as well as there being modern 1.5 v batteries that work.

Nice pic of the camera by the way.
05-12-2010, 06:35 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Why not just pick up a used handheld lightmeter? I expect they are pretty cheap these days.
05-12-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
check here

did a search on camera batteries

Photoethnography.com - Classic Cameras

05-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've been using 1.5V alkalines in my Spotmatics for a long time, and they work just fine.

If you do need a handheld meter, picking up a GE PR-1 in working order is my reccomendation.

But do be careful, as if you ever do anything with extension tubes or bellows, the math you need to apply for proper metering gets tricky. TTL is definitely the way to go.

Regarding the clip-on meter, good luck getting one that works. Also, there's a divot in the speed wheel of an H3V/Asahi SV that Spotmatics don't have, so it won't couple to your shutter speed wheel.
05-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Both silver and alkaline cells should work on your Spotmatic. It is one of the few cameras of its vintage that does not have a voltage dependent meter. No need for convertors, hearing aid batteries, or Wein cells. You want a SR41 (silver cell) or LR41 (alkaline). The silver cell is preferred and not that much more money.

Steve
05-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #7

I use brown hearing aid zinc-air batteries with an o-ring. Work great and I can get the batteries in any drugstore (in bulk) at about 1$ per. I get about 4 months from a battery.

05-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As a spotmatic user, I can say that 1.5v batteries work fine. They're really nice cameras, tough, versatile, and stylish. As long as the meter WORKS, drop in a 1.5v silver or alkaline battery and everything will be fine.
05-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jessejoshua Quote
hello..
i'm a SP user..
here.. its my slr..

but the problem is..
thanks before..
First, the readily available Silver Oxide 1.5v batteries are perfectly OK to use with your Spotmatic.

Second, the "clip on" meter is not designed to fit any of the Spotmatics, only the S/H family of cameras. These meters are also designed to take the old "mercury" batteries, so going that would not be of any help to you. (Plus, they could be getting a bit operationally unreliable)

Try the Silver Oxide way.
05-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Out of the pan and into the fire...

Out of the pan and into the fire...

This meter also takes an obsolete mercury battery. An E625 mercury battery to be exact. This is the same battery as the Spotmatic F.

Here is the manual if you want to confirm this: http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/Clip_On_Exposure_Meter.pdf

I agree about using a silver oxide battery assuming the meter in that camera works. See this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/78396-yes-my-s...e-battery.html

If not... seriously... get a Sekonic L-308 or L-308B. They are relatively cheap and you will never need another light/flas meter...

Sekonic L308B incident reflected flash meter FREE SHIP - eBay (item 220604455466 end time May-16-10 17:31:33 PDT)

I shoot all kinds of manual Pentax. Back in the day I used a Gossen Pilot. I'll never go back. My cameras are vintage. my meter is digital.

woof
05-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote

If not... seriously... get a Sekonic L-308 or L-308B. They are relatively cheap and you will never need another light/flas meter...
Maybe that Sekonic model. But my L328 light/flash meter didn't even last 10 years! It just died and my friend with the same model had the same problem. I'm not a happy camper. It cost over $300 bucks in its day. So I'm out a flash meter and need to replace it; otherwise, I prefer my 20 year-old, reliable Pentax Spotmeter V.
05-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #12

Original Poster
@all
thanks dude..
i just knew that 1,5v will work for my sp
thanks guys!
really!
05-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jessejoshua Quote
hello..
i'm a SP user..
here.. its my slr..

but the problem is..
thanks before..

Huhmmm, where did you see that meter?