Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Prince and Pauper

Now that I have two all-black film bodies, this setting came to mind.

I've had the LX for a while - and there's not a lot I have to say about that fine piece of technology, because you've heard it all before. So we'll let it sit in the background for now.

The MV1 came off Craigslist yesterday, basically for the price of its M50/1.7 lens. There were no pictures in the ad, so I didn't know what to expect; but the body turned out to be quite clean, with just a little brassing like you see at the edge of the film door. I replaced the mirror bumper and took it out shooting today, getting through a half roll or so of cheap Walgreens fillm.

Although the MV1 isn't a model people usually look for, my first impression is that it's an enjoyable camera to use -- much like the old Yashica rangefinders in terms of the controls and the very minimal viewfinder information, except it's an SLR. I was happy to run across one in this condition.

I'll probably post a review after seeing how the first roll comes out.

05-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice, these old film camera bodies always seem to look better in black.

Phil.
05-25-2010, 03:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do rather covet a black SP2. I just happen to like black cameras in general, particularly when it comes to old gear. The new colored DSLR units are very cute, but I'm still a basic black kind of person and when I finally get my K-DSLR I'm definitely going black for that.

I have looked for one, an SP2, but I haven't been able to find one in good shape that I can afford as yet. Most of the black ones are super overpriced compared to your average black and silver model and I can't rationalize paying a small fortune more just because I like a certain color more. There are a lot of them out there. Far too many IMHO for them to be commanding 5X as much just because they're black.

But yeah, I'd definitely take one in basic black, if I ran across one I can afford. I sure wouldn't pass it up. The SP camera is a sweet looking camera either way, but it sure would be nice to have one of each and a pretty DSLR at some point to go with, all Pentax, so they can share a lot of gear between them.

05-25-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Indeed, the black is nice. I have a black ME Super on the way.