Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2010, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am sceptical about that auto doc feeder working with photos. I think it has to be paper for it to work. And also looking at the pictures here it seems you exchange the normal lid for the ADF, which means no scanning of transparencies = no film.

Noticed when digging a little deeper that it is not before the V700 that you can scan 24 frames at once, and it is more than double the money...

05-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
Does the Epson V500 hold 24 frames in strips or is it less? I have a feeling it is less. I would not go for a scanner that holds only 12 (or even worse only 6!) frames at one time. It all depends on how much time you have, reloading three or four times per roll is no fun.

If you go for buying a scanner I would recommend you to get one that takes 24 frames (12 mounted).
I guess it is a question of personal preference, but I really don't find it much of a problem to scan 12 frames at a time on the Coolscan 9000. The only time I get a bit annoyed is when the processing lab has cut them into fours, which don't fit well in just about any scanner.
05-23-2010, 01:31 AM   #18

I would send it to someone else.

I bought a canon scanner to scan film slides but the picture quality wasn't great (don't know how the originals look) and it took forever so I haven't used it.

For paper photos atleast the quality would be better but I assume companies got even better gear. Depends on how mow your time is worth it I guess.. A flatbed scanner isn't so expensive. Software depends on your morals I assume.
05-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
I am sceptical about that auto doc feeder working with photos.
I am concerned also, especially due to the number of old, small snapshot prints I have to do with of course no negatives to be found.

QuoteOriginally posted by aliquis Quote
I would send it to someone else.
Having started sorting the original 5,000 or so prints and realizing that getting it down to even 2,500 will be difficult, I am going to send out all the "family event" snaps probably numbering 2,500 and keep the very old and important couple of hundred to continue to scan and process as I feel like it. This will allow me time to spend on the ones that matter while getting the bulk into a digital format quickly.

Thanks to all who helped me think this through. Hope this thread helps others with the same issue in months to come.