Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ZX-5 display going haywire with shutter button half press

Bought a ZX-5 off craigslist and shot a roll without any problems. Set it aside for a while, and recently loaded it up. Oddly, everything seems to work fine until I press the shutter button half way, when the shutter speed in the VF becomes composed partly of unreadable symbols, and on the top LCD several mode symbols light up, ad do several points on the exposure comp line. Very odd. Any one else had this problem? Know how to fix it? Seems probably like a goner, but if anyone can help you all can.

05-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This sounds like a problem in the circuitry. You should send this camera in, if that's still even possible

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, it's possible, too, I suppose, that the circuit board's got something on it in there. If all else fails, maybe cleaning it would help.
05-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting - how would I clean the circuit board?

Oddly, it seems to function, i.e. shutter speeds sound like they correspond to shooting conditions. It just looks wacky, and I would not trust it much.

06-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Would any one want it? For repair or parts at the worst? You'd just have to pay shipping to wherever you live. Let me know!
07-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, my local place wants $119 to repair the circuit and the flash. It obviously isn't worth it, but I have such a hard time letting good gear die. What do you all think?
07-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And it's gone to parts.