Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Should I?

I've got a local camera club guy wanting to buy a Takumar lens I own. It's in near perfect condition and has the original case. I'm getting the idea that it's considered a very good lens from what I've read, in particular for portraits? I was going to keep it for when I get my DSLR since that is really my thing, doing portraits, but I'm waffling a bit because selling it might put me a lot closer to getting a K-X at least. I have no idea of what a fair price is on this or if what this guy is offering me is decent or not. What's the range on this lens? I'd say mine is pretty near immaculate in condition. I'm just wondering if I really should give it up or not.

Are we talking about an under $75 lens here? Or is this lens in this shape usually something a bit more pricey than that? I can't tell from Ebay. There are only a few of them but the prices are all over the place.

Info?

Thanks!

Super Takumar 1.28/105 #2348354 (M42)

06-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you checked the lens review database?
06-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is the specific review page for your lens:
Pentax Lens Review Database - Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR/Super-Takumar 105mm F2.8 Lens Reviews
Unless you need the cash, I would keep the lens. $75 sounds like the low end value-wise and it would likely be difficult to find another one in similar condition in the future.

Steve
06-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I saw the review, thanks, but I just wasn't sure if that was accurate given what he first hinted at offering me and what I was seeing on Ebay etc. But it doesn't matter I guess since he just down-scaled his offer considerably and I'm definitely not biting for that amount.

FYI, he'd started out at nearly 3X that but then this time we spoke he suddenly mentioned paying $50 and I just wasn't even interested at that price. I've actually seen it listed at as much as $255 but I knew that was ridiculous because the few I've seen going for real rarely went over $125.

I just wasn't quite sure what it was really worth. If he had actually offered me $150 or so for it I'd have probably sighed and sold it, but at $55 he can just forget it. This puppy is darned near pristine, and it's got it's original case and he wants it for $50?

I don't think so, and I'm definitely holding onto it, at least for now, I guess.

Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Here is the specific review page for your lens:
Pentax Lens Review Database - Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR/Super-Takumar 105mm F2.8 Lens Reviews
Unless you need the cash, I would keep the lens. $75 sounds like the low end value-wise and it would likely be difficult to find another one in similar condition in the future.

Steve

06-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would hang on to that lens. You aren't likely to replace it for that amount of money and your camera club buddy knows it. If you have to sell stuff to afford your Kx dream, sell something else.

06-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I'd keep it until you decide you don't want it or need it. But, 105 may be a bit long for portraits.
06-10-2010, 01:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Sell it, but double the price

06-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Rule number 1: You can NEVER have too much camera gear be it old or new gear!

Portraits come in all shapes and sizes. Almost any lens can be used to take a "portrait". You may find the 105 + 1.5 factor great, for example, when doing a full-body environmental portrait. So hang on to it unless you want to get a more automatic lens for that new camera.
06-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I love my 105, on film and on digital.

If you do want to sell, you should be getting more than the guy is offering. You mention the case, does it also come with original shade?
06-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Did all old Pentax lenses come with a shade? I've seen so many without it. I just assumed that was an add on thing. No this one doesn't have one. It came in the original case with the caps and all, but no shade. Anyway, for now I've decided it's staying right where it is. I'm actively scoping a working SP2 and I'm going to keep it for that. Maybe later for the DSLR too, but definitely for the Spottie. Even at $100 I just don't want to give it up.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I love my 105, on film and on digital.

If you do want to sell, you should be getting more than the guy is offering. You mention the case, does it also come with original shade?
06-14-2010, 12:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

There's no way I'd sell my 105/2.8 ... noooo way.
Unless I was offered stupid amounts of money for it.
Even then I'd have to think hard about it.
06-18-2010, 10:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Did all old Pentax lenses come with a shade? I've seen so many without it. I just assumed that was an add on thing. No this one doesn't have one....
105/2.8 does have its own shade.
06-19-2010, 04:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I think I have been lucky ... most of my Taks I have purchased have come with their respective hoods ... except for maybe my 55 and 50mm lenses ... although some are interchangeable.

I think the 105 actually shares with the 135 from memory ... I'll need to check mine. I have them all in the cupboard actually ... and not in the bag (damn things take up so much room).
06-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
....Super Takumar 1.28/105 #2348354 (M42)

I have this lens: it is very sharp and gives good colour rendition and a lovely bokeh.

This lens is so good it still gives a sharp image even when used with a 2x TC (that cost me $5-00 at a junk shop)

It should be a winner, even on a digital body.

BTW, when sold originally, it would have come with a custom metal lens-hood, metal lenscap, a plastic srew-on endcap, and a fitted leatherette felt-lined press-stud case , not a flimsy styrofoam lined cardboard box like today (O tempore, o mores!)

Last edited by Banjo; 06-21-2010 at 10:44 PM.
06-21-2010, 10:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm beginning to think that lens is worth it's weight in gold. I said "no" and the guy upped his offer again, but by then I'd decided not to sell it anyway. Told him that, and now he's after me to sell it in a big, bad way, again. I'm keeping it for my SPII. It was sheer dumb luck that I even got this lens. It came with my old SPI, and is undeniably worth more than that camera is, so I guess I was just meant to have it.