Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 98 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2015, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #361
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JuanEstrada Quote
Hey guys... it's been a while. I live in Colombia, south america and a cousin of mine who lives in NC was here on vacations, so I decided to give her my mirror-stuck LX along with a 35-135mm f3.5 A lens that I wanted to know if it was correctly focusing or if it was something wrong with it on the inside... so I asked my cousin if she could send that to Eric once she was there for me to avoid up to 150U$ in shipping charges... He said that the lens needed no work and that he fixed the LX, so he only charged me for the camera. When I received the package, I tried to use the lens and I expected it at least as it was before, but the lens zoom was stuck... when he reassembled the lens, a velvet lining part that makes the zoom slide to be soft was compromised and got all crushed inside because he did not rebuild the lens carefully. So I emailed him twice telling him about the lens and got no answer. The LX came working "normally", but 6 months later, after I finished using a whole bulk roll of 400asa film I changed the asa setting to 100 to use a different roll and it has a problem, it changes suddenly to a different setting so I have to take it up to 800 and then down to 6 and back to 100 for it to work... otherwise it will be as if I have it in 800-1600... when I use it in 400 it is fine, and that problem was not there because I took 2 rolls of 12 exposures of Agfa Vista 100 and 200 before sending it and it worked...

I know all of you have nothing but praise about his work but this is my first experience with him, and being from here it is not cheap at all to have that worked out... It is a shame that he did not answer my emails about it, at least with a "I send it working", and also the asa setting being bogus, so, Even when he says that he has a 1 year warranty, he does not honor it, that's why I didn't even bother emailing him about the asa thing...

I am so dissapointed...
Send it back with a polite email explaining why it is on its way. He will take care of it.

08-20-2015, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #362
Veteran Member

Hey guys... it's been a while. I live in Colombia, south america and a cousin of mine who lives in NC was here on vacations, so I decided to give her my mirror-stuck LX along with a 35-135mm f3.5 A lens that I wanted to know if it was correctly focusing or if it was something wrong with it on the inside... so I asked my cousin if she could send that to Eric once she was there for me to avoid up to 150U$ in shipping charges... He said that the lens needed no work and that he fixed the LX, so he only charged me for the camera. When I received the package, I tried to use the lens and I expected it at least as it was before, but the lens zoom was stuck... when he reassembled the lens, a velvet lining part that makes the zoom slide to be soft was compromised and got all crushed inside because he did not rebuild the lens carefully. So I emailed him twice telling him about the lens and got no answer. The LX came working "normally", but 6 months later, after I finished using a whole bulk roll of 400asa film I changed the asa setting to 100 to use a different roll and it has a problem, it changes suddenly to a different setting so I have to take it up to 800 and then down to 6 and back to 100 for it to work... otherwise it will be as if I have it in 800-1600... when I use it in 400 it is fine, and that problem was not there because I took 2 rolls of 12 exposures of Agfa Vista 100 and 200 before sending it and it worked...

I know all of you have nothing but praise about his work but this is my first experience with him, and being from here it is not cheap at all to have that worked out... It is a shame that he did not answer my emails about it, at least with a "I send it working", and also the asa setting being bogus, so, Even when he says that he has a 1 year warranty, he does not honor it, that's why I didn't even bother emailing him about the asa thing...

I am so dissapointed...
That's too bad. I did have one issue with an MX I got back from him but he had me send it back and he corrected it right away and apologized. It's unfortunate you're such a distance obviously, but in my one experience that resembles something like this he was no-questions-asked helpful in getting it right. He also receives quite a number of emails (and I've a feeling that number has been rising) and he is just one guy. You might just politely email again, or send it back with a note as was mentioned. As they say, 'you can have something done cheap, fast, or well.... pick two'... With Eric you always get cheap and well in my experience.
08-20-2015, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #363
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Juan, Having worked on countless electro-mechanical equipment, I am quite familiar with "the problem was not there before you worked on it" issue. It may not have been but that doesn't mean it happened because of the work I did. I don't have much experience working on cameras just yet so I can't say the problem you are having is related or not or if that is part of the work intended for your camera or not. However, I do know that he is human and can make mistakes but understand that he will make it right. Good luck!
08-21-2015, 05:38 AM   #364
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Many of us here owe a great debt to expert repairman Eric Hendickson, who keeps our Pentax cameras humming along.

Eric has repaired/CLA'ed most of my Pentax cameras past and present, currently including LX, K2, KX, KM and MX bodies.
I'm planning to send him two more recent acquisitions, a DOA MZ-3 and another KX, this one with a shutter problem.

What have you had repaired by Eric Hendrickson?

Chris
A Spotmatic. And it was a special Spotmatic that I bought new in 1967. The camera works flawlessly. (I can't say the same for the photographer, however.)

09-05-2015, 06:51 PM   #365

Hey everyone, 2 weeks (or maybe a month?) after my last post I finally got in touch with Erick, and after that communication was no big issue. He said he mistook my camera for one that was shipped to him through eBay (apparently he bids on old cameras), and he said he also got rid of the lens I sent with because it was off-brand and he doesn't keep those. He said he'd give me a new lens. About a month or so later, he sent the cameras back to me and I'm really amazed at what he's done to them, they really feel, look, and smell like new. And apparently he retrieved the lens, because it's the same one I sent with the camera. I remember that it's much cleaner than it was when I sent it to him. Also, I left a sticker on the back of the camera, and he left it there!

I'm definitely pleased at the work he's done, even though the communication was not-so-great overall. Worth it.

If anyone is interested, here is the invoice I got back:

Item: SP1000

Description: [Clean and lube shutter and film transport. Install light seals and mirror bumper. Calibrate meter and speeds. Repair transport. — $65]; [Light seals and mirror bumper — $8]; [Internal optic assembly — $10] [Lens, 3.5 23mm No work to be done — $0], Total $83

Item: MG

Description: [7076388 Clean and lube shutter and film transport. Install light seals and mirror bumper. Repair transport. Calibrate meter and speeds. The shutter unit is bad and needs replacing. I have a used one so there isn't a charge for the shutter unit. — $65]; [Light seals and mirror bumper — $8]; [Lens 2.0 50mm — $0] Total $73

Total + shipping, $166.
09-05-2015, 07:02 PM   #366
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm very happy it all worked out for you. Eric really is a quality guy - throwback to times past when everyone had character, rather than it being remarkable.
09-06-2015, 03:41 AM   #367
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm very happy it all worked out for you. Eric really is a quality guy - throwback to times past when everyone had character, rather than it being remarkable.
The result Eric provided tdemmz - and monochrome's character remark - reminded me of an experience I had with Eric. I had shipped him a newly acquired KM for a CLA. The KM was in near-pristine condition externally, and I wanted it's working condition to be flawless as well. So off to Eric it went.

Within about ten days I received the camera back from Eric - much earlier than expected. The invoice indicated the CLA was performed and there was no charge for the service. I emailed Eric to find out why he was working for free. He told me while removing my bubble-wrap from the KM, he had an accident with the razor knife and accidentally scratched the top plate. He explained he had just replaced the blade on the knife with a new one, and it cut faster and deeper that he expected.

Eric decided not to charge me for the CLA due to the scratch, which is is a testament to his character and the reason I'm sharing this story. Well, I didn't even notice the scratch - I considered it minor and insignificant. So I paid him anyway, and he was most grateful.

We all make mistakes. What distinguishes one person from the next is how we react afterwards.

Fred

Last edited by hollywoodfred; 09-06-2015 at 04:54 PM. Reason: mistakes in the original text - corrected word order and other typos.
10-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #368
Forum Member

Thanks for your answers... I really don't know why it happened like this to me, I mean, with all the positive reviews (it seems that mine is the only bad experience) looks like you can't go wrong, but yeah.. He did not even answer with a (I'm sorry) to my email in which I politely explained the situation... I don't know... I will try and contact him again once I'm back in the US. It is a very strange thing the LX has.. it is like you have to jumpstart the light meter before using it by moving the ASA dial... as Les said, electromechanical stuff is faddy sometimes...
10-03-2015, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #369
Veteran Member

Eric is very busy. Also, his style is to be direct to. I wouldn't be put off too much. The important thing is to get the gear back to him and ask for an appraisal of the matter needing correction.

We (humans) are not perfect, even Eric isn't
10-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #370
mee
Veteran Member

Thanks for your answers... I really don't know why it happened like this to me, I mean, with all the positive reviews (it seems that mine is the only bad experience) looks like you can't go wrong, but yeah.. He did not even answer with a (I'm sorry) to my email in which I politely explained the situation... I don't know... I will try and contact him again once I'm back in the US. It is a very strange thing the LX has.. it is like you have to jumpstart the light meter before using it by moving the ASA dial... as Les said, electromechanical stuff is faddy sometimes...
If he provided with you a 1 year warranty, he should honor it. If he is not then that is a problem and I'd be polite but persistent on the matter.
10-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #371
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just received a recently purchased Sears KS1000 (Ricoh XR-1s) back from Eric.
It's the same model as the first repair I ever sent to him back in the 1990's...

Chris
10-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #372
Veteran Member

He has his hands on my LX this very moment. (breath baited)
10-16-2015, 11:37 AM   #373
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tdemmz Quote
Lens, 3.5 23mm

Is that a typo?
10-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #374
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
He has his hands on my LX this very moment. (breath baited)
Eric finished my LX back in August and I have been "testing" it out since then. All is well.

Phil.
10-16-2015, 12:13 PM   #375
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Eric finished my LX back in August and I have been "testing" it out since then. All is well.
It's taken me nearly 2 years to get myself to send it off to him. I've so many rangefinders I'm playing with at the moment I figured the timing was good.