Photos: Gallery
What $11 Got Me At Goodwill...

Well, actually $25 because I had to pay $14 to ship it all but:

What I really won for $11+shipping at Goodwill:

3 Yashica Lenses (CO-Y)

1. Vivitar 75-300MM Zoom 1:45-5.6
2. Yashica DSB 50MM 1.19
3. Soligor C/D 25MM 1.28

They all have lens caps that look original and the caps do say CO-Y. Also, they all look like the same mount close up. They are in super nice condition.

I'm a newbie when it comes to SLR lenses, admittedly, but I looked at them with my mini LCD book light and they look like they're almost new to me. Hardly any dust on the outside, nothing I can't brush right off with a lens brush or cloth. I can't see any on the inside at all.

Whoever had them, they took VERY good care of these.

Braun Nurnberg 34 Color Filter 4-Lens (W, R, Y, G)
Toko Magnifier (Not a rangefinder lens, alas.)

I don't quite understand the Braun lens thing, what it's for?

Filters:

Tiffen 55MM Tiffen Sky 1-A
Tiffen 49MM UV-Haze 1
Kalimar UV 58MM
Cokin A160 Top Linear Pola
Cokin A056 Star 8
Cokin A123 Blue/Clear Gradient
Cokin A198 Sunset 1
Cokin A397 Pre-Shaped Frames
Adapter Rings 52/55
Filter Holder w/lens cap
Filter Box

Working Flashes
Yashica CS-201 Auto (works)
Kamero KA-70 (works, but light cover is cracked a tiny bit.)

There were 3 more flashes but those were definitely dead.

Soligor Accessories Bag

(This bag has seen some use, but it's very nice actually. It looked white and blue in the pic on Goodwill, but actually it's a nice gray with blue stripes and much nicer than I thought it would be. Definitely a keeper since I don't have an accessories bag yet.)

I'm keeping the filters, but the rest I'm going to sell either on CL or on one of my photo forums, I think. I don't think I wasted my money though, do you?

Wish I could use them with my Pentax cameras, but I suppose I'll get enough out of them for something nice lens-wise for Queenie.

07-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

you know Yashica made some really slick cameras in the C-Y mount, and their M42 adapter is what Pentax should have made (it holds the aperture pin in). Just saying...
07-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
you know Yashica made some really slick cameras in the C-Y mount, and their M42 adapter is what Pentax should have made (it holds the aperture pin in). Just saying...

Okay, explain that because I haven't quite got what you mean. I'm supposed to take my M42's to a Yashica camera, and use these lenses is that it? I did think about getting a Yashica FX series, but honestly I think I am going to sell them and get a Takumar or two. I don't really want anything but Pentax. Too many cameras as it is around here!

Oh, I just scored again. I found a perfect set of Yashica GSN auxiliary lenses for $5 and I know they will sell well so that was a total steal! Funny thing I once spent a year looking for a good set of these for a buddy of mine only to have him finally sell his GSN because we couldn't find a set that he could afford.

I walk into Goodwill 5 years later and there they are.

07-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a bit more information. It appears that you will have trouble mounting them on a Pentax body....

07-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like it. There do seem to be adapters to some DSLR's but it seems like it would be more trouble that it's worth to me to try. I gather though that some of the mechanically inclined and adventurous have actually succeeded in putting M42/K-mounts on some of these. That kind of thing is way beyond me though.

I'm going to try to sell or swap them in a few places next week. Actually, I've already listed them for sale in a couple of places online. I don't really see the sense in keeping them. I'm not a person who cares for having multiple camera brands around, shrug. If that doesn't work than I may just resort to getting some kind of Yashica or Contax camera to mount them on, but I'd really rather not.

I've looked at the two camera lines a bit and I don't think I'd mind having an FX3 around but that's a last resort scenario, period.

You know that 300MM lens may have a reputation of being only so-so, but some of the pics I'm seeing taken with it seem to run counter to that opinion.
Does anyone know if these could be mounted on a Pentax DSLR with an adapter? Seems that they are working with Canon and Nikon DSLR's. Just wondering. That would be the only reason I'd reconsider if they might be used with a K-X or a K-7 someday.

Last edited by magkelly; 07-03-2010 at 06:55 PM.
07-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

When I was a wittle baby photog, I wanted to shooot Contax, if I ever made it big. Those aren't Zeiss, but RTS bodies are really quiute doable, these days.
07-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I've done some deals at shopgoodwill as well, with positive results for the most part (other than the $% going to shipping, wow!). My $9/$20 Rikenon 135/2.8 is amazing, I'm very happy with that one. The $35/$44 deal is.. interesting, as it came with what appears to be an unused K1000 body and an absurdly-used Rikenon 28-100 f/4. Clearly the donator or goodwill matched them up, these did not age together! The 28-100 is nice, but the front end is too lose & focus can be lost as it shifts; I'm planning to seek out and tighten as many screws as possible. As long as I know where that front element is, it's a fine & fun lens, though at 605g it outweighs every other lens I own.

07-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've got that lens. I scavenged that on Freecycle a while back. It's not bad, but it's a bit bulky compared to the Takumars I have. Goodwill has no rhyme or reason sometimes the things they stick together. They don't check things well either. Most of the flashes in my lot were duds. But for $25 all total, who's complaining?

I already listed these Yashica lenses on CL and the GSN's too. Figure I might as well try, shrug, but I don't expect I'll sell them locally, though there has already been an email or two. I've got to really. I've got an overdue bill I have to pay and I really do want a long lens for my Pentax and since the 300MM doesn't fit, it has to go.

Update: A couple of days later I'm wavering I will admit. The 300MM is so nice it's got me trying to barter on CL for a mount for them. I still wouldn't put any money into getting one. I just don't have the extra dough right now, but if I can barter for one, well, just maybe, lol. Really though I need another non-Pentax SLR now about like I'd need a fur coat in July!

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I've done some deals at shopgoodwill as well, with positive results for the most part (other than the $% going to shipping, wow!). My $9/$20 Rikenon 135/2.8 is amazing, I'm very happy with that one. The $35/$44 deal is.. interesting, as it came with what appears to be an unused K1000 body and an absurdly-used Rikenon 28-100 f/4. Clearly the donator or goodwill matched them up, these did not age together! The 28-100 is nice, but the front end is too lose & focus can be lost as it shifts; I'm planning to seek out and tighten as many screws as possible. As long as I know where that front element is, it's a fine & fun lens, though at 605g it outweighs every other lens I own.

Last edited by magkelly; 07-05-2010 at 12:11 PM.
07-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Mamiya's hold the pin in also.