Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Old M42 camera, changing lens with film on??

Well,
i have all set up and started taking a few B&W photos with my old praktica.
untill today i only had one M42 lens so i never thought in this,
can i change the lenses with a film on the camera? or do i have to wait for the end of the filme to switch the lenses?

i'm afraid the camera will let light in, and destroy the photos on the film :S

the specific model is a Praktica MTL50 if it helps.

thanks, and sorry for the bad english

08-15-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
Inactive Account

You should have no problem. All Single Lens Reflex cameras have a swing away mirror that lets you compose through the lens as you will. They are all designed to remove the lens with film locked and loaded. Behind the swing away mirror, is the shutter (what moves either horizontally or vertically at a speed you select as your shutter speed), be it made out of cloth or metal. This curtain is always light tight unless someone pokes hols in it.

So you should be fairly safe to switch lenses on the go with no fear of exposing your film to unwanted light.
08-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, you can change lenses while there's film in your camera. The shutter is closed and that blocks light from reaching the film.
08-15-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
clm

There are some Praktica instruction manuals at this site: Free camera instruction manuals, free camera user guide, camera manual, camera instruction manuals,* Ricoh camera manuals, Sears Camera Manuals, camera instruction manual, replacement camera manual, ricoh point and shoot, cosina camera manual, fujica It doesn't list your exact model, but there should be one that is similar.

08-16-2007, 08:26 PM   #5

Yes, of course!

I mean, the camera may have light leaks in the shutter, it has been known to happen. But then again, there is nothing you can do for that one, and even with that, its letting in light through the lens regardless.

But short answer, it will be safe. Unless you camera is busted, then, there is nothing you can do, to be painfully honest.
08-17-2007, 01:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all.

I'll test the camera in the begining of the new film just to make sure the camerais still OK.