Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
Inactive Account

having problems.. Just a got a penttax mx help

So i just got a pentax mx and when you click the button for the picture to take the shutter doesnt go off. When i try to cock the film advance level wont budge i can get it to pop out a little bit but thats it.

there is no film in the camera for the simple i dont have any at the moment but i know on my old film slr camera i was still able to hit the shutter release button and you could still hear it go off. So im wondering if anyone knows what i should do about it or if i should take it in. Is it because i dont have film in it?

07-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The MX has a mechanical shutter so it should work just fine sans one. Only the meter needs a battery. Shutter not going off, film advance arm not firing? it sounds like your MX has a problem and needs to be serviced.
07-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Return to sender...

Steve
07-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Does anyone know about how much this will cost. i cant send it back to the center i got it at a good will for really cheap. and really want to get to it fixed just dont want to pay an arm and a leg to have it done

07-17-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nikilee93 Quote
Does anyone know about how much this will cost. i cant send it back to the center i got it at a good will for really cheap. and really want to get to it fixed just dont want to pay an arm and a leg to have it done
Hahha, you'd be cheaper off buying a new one
07-17-2010, 01:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The MX is really old by now and even if you had it overhauled, there is a good chance the shutter won't be accurate for long. Just not worth the trouble imho.
07-17-2010, 03:31 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
New here myself...

Have you tried flipping the catch at the base of the shutter release? Catches me out sometimes when I swap camera.

Regards

07-17-2010, 04:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The MX is a terrific camera and well worth having repaired.
Eric Hendrickson's standard repair rate is around $70.00.
Once repaired it should be good for another 20+ years...

Chris
07-17-2010, 05:59 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd bet this is the problem

QuoteOriginally posted by Rusticon Quote
New here myself...

Have you tried flipping the catch at the base of the shutter release? Catches me out sometimes when I swap camera.

Regards
You can also use that "switch" to lock the shutter OPEN for long exposures in B-mode.

H2
07-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

1+ for repair by Eric. Estimates are free. I don't know if he will repair for as little as $70, but with the price of a CLA'd MX being about $200, it would be worth a try.

Edit: Link to Eric Hendrickson Web site...LINK

If the camera is not repairable or if you decide against the repair, he will send it back to you at no charge.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-17-2010 at 09:41 AM.
07-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Repair

If it turns out that the switch doesn't cure your problem, I would certainly recommend that you send it to Eric for an estimate. Except for the cost to ship it the estimate is free. If it is repairable at a fair price he can certainly tell you. Once these mechanical cameras have been serviced by a competent technician they will continue to work great for many years. The MX you have is the top of the line for Pentax, all-mechanical cameras.

If you look at the picture on this camera review page https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-manual-focus-film-slr-camera-revie...pentax-mx.html for the MX you will notice the small lever that surrounds the shutter button. This small lever (or switch) must be rotated to the right towards the frame counter to unlock the shutter button. If that little lever is rotated to the left it will cover the small window that indicates that the shutter is cocked. That is the small red window just to the left of the shutter in the picture. It is possible to advance the film with the lever, rotate the shutter lever to the locked position, and then not be able to operate either the shutter or the film advance lever.

Last edited by Pioneer; 07-17-2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: add some text to original post
07-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Oh...BTW...To the OP...

Welcome to Pentax Forums!!!

Steve
07-17-2010, 09:35 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
The MX is really old by now and even if you had it overhauled, there is a good chance the shutter won't be accurate for long. Just not worth the trouble imho.
Thems fightin' words in this neck of the woods! After all this is the film forum and most of us regularly shoot with vintage gear. My KX (five years older than an MX) works quite nicely and is one of my newer cameras.

Chances are the OP got this camera for $20 at Goodwill. If it is in good to excellent condition cosmetically with a recent CLA, it would sell used in a shop for $200-$250 here in the Portland area. Even if repair expenses are as much as $100, a good MX at that price point in excellent working condition is a good deal. (Yes, when it comes back from Eric, it will be in excellent working condition.)

Steve
09-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
These types of mysteries are also solvable with use of the owner's manual. You can find used copies of the MX and other body manuals on ebay for around $15. Just make sure the one you bid on is explicitly stated to be in English:-) Getting one is not a replacement for the forum though. You folks are the best!
09-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
These types of mysteries are also solvable with use of the owner's manual. You can find used copies of the MX and other body manuals on ebay for around $15. Just make sure the one you bid on is explicitly stated to be in English:-) Getting one is not a replacement for the forum though. You folks are the best!
Even better is to download the manual for free from pentaximaging.com:
http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/MX_01.pdf

Steve