Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sticky Shutter Curtain! Any Suggestions?

The shutter curtain on my S3 is sticking. It doesn't stick when it's nice and hot and I've been using it for a while, but it's doing it quite often. When the curtain doesn't close all the way the mirror remains up. I can push gently on the curtain and the mirror will return to it's original position and the curtain and shutter close. Any suggestions on DIY service/repair?

Here's what it's supposed to look like:

and here's what it looks like when it sticks:

07-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shutter service/repair is a fine art and requires a high level of skill. I would suggest sending it to Eric Hendrickson in Tennessee. His prices are fair and his skills are the best. Here is the link:

Pentax Camera Service

The estimates are free and if you opt to not repair, Eric will send the camera back to you at no charge including shipping. What a guy, eh?

Steve
07-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Shutter service/repair is a fine art and requires a high level of skill...
I was saving Eric as a last resort. But you make a good point, maybe I should just send it to him so I don't mess anything else up.
07-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I was saving Eric as a last resort. ...
Scale of charges:

Repairs: $100-00/hour.

Repairs to your DIY repairs: $200-00/hour.

07-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Banjo Quote
Scale of charges:

Repairs: $100-00/hour.

Repairs to your DIY repairs: $200-00/hour.
Eric's repairs are about $70-$100 including full CLA and return shipping. So the deal is even sweeter.

Steve
07-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Try storing it prism down in a warm place for a while.
07-28-2010, 07:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Try storing it prism down in a warm place for a while.
I placed the camera in my car with the windows up for the last 2 1/2 days in approximately 100 degree (37 C) weather outside. No luck, unfortunately.

07-29-2010, 06:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I placed the camera in my car with the windows up for the last 2 1/2 days in approximately 100 degree (37 C) weather outside. No luck, unfortunately.
He said a warm place, not an oven. Seriously, that thing probably needs a good cla with the lube being key for your problems.
07-29-2010, 06:32 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Eric's repairs are about $70-$100 including full CLA and return shipping. So the deal is even sweeter.

Steve
That may end being on the high side for Eric. Eric is good enough that he doesn't have to gouge. He has incredible institutional knowledge and a million hours of experience on manual focus Pentax gear.
08-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #10

Unless you really want to learn about repairing shutters, and unless you are willing to destroy some cameras in the process, I'd suggest that you just send it to Eric and get it over with. It's something worth learning, but it *will* cost you, time, tools, a camera or two... Or you pay someone and get on with using the camera for the next decade or more.
08-07-2010, 07:37 AM   #11

Yesterday I looked to see if I could pull the top plate of my S2 (which was behaving exactly as you described.) I decided that I would need a real service manual first, so I pulled the bottom plate instead.
Put 3 drops of Ronson LIghter Fluid on the 1st curtain adjuster; all speeds are now to spec and absolutely no trace of slowness in the 1st curtain.

Bob Palmieri
08-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Bob, that's neat you were able to fix your S2. I had taken the front plates off and lubed the shutter curtain rail, but hadn't done the bottom plate. After removing it now, it was pretty dry. I put a couple drops of oil on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd curtain pinion shafts and snapped the shutter a few times with no problems.

I figured it wasn't quite done yet, so I put it back in the "oven" upside down to let the lube do its thing. I'll put a roll of film through it later today if there's still no sticking.
08-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #13
Site Supporter

I hope you guys realize that in the realm of cameras, a drop is a LOT!
08-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, I read in the service manual about how many drops to put at each location. I didn't have a dropper, so I used my small screwdriver tip dipped in the oil to place the lubricant right where it needed to go.
08-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well it must've worked. The camera is doing great now. Thanks for all your suggestions.