Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 05:56 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just sent off four rolls to be developed (outside the US K64 comes with mailing packets back to Kodak) and have a few more to finish off as soon as I can. K64 was the first film I shot through my first SLR (a ME Super) in 1982 and the slides are still as crisp and colourful as they were when I shot them. As archival quality is important to me for work reasons, I am a bit at a loss what slide film to swap to.

As to good things going west, the loss of Type 55 Poloroid is on a par with the loss of K25 and K64.

K.

09-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Just sent off four rolls to be developed (outside the US K64 comes with mailing packets back to Kodak) and have a few more to finish off as soon as I can. K64 was the first film I shot through my first SLR (a ME Super) in 1982 and the slides are still as crisp and colourful as they were when I shot them. As archival quality is important to me for work reasons, I am a bit at a loss what slide film to swap to.

As to good things going west, the loss of Type 55 Poloroid is on a par with the loss of K25 and K64.

K.
When you get your slides back post a few scans on the "Kodachrome Lives" thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/79075-kodachrome-lives.html

Steve
09-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
When you get your slides back post a few scans on the "Kodachrome Lives" thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/79075-kodachrome-lives.html
Steve
I'm sending out a roll of Kodachrome tomorrow along with a roll of 110 and T-Max 120.
09-10-2010, 08:36 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote

K.
Nothing will replace Kodachrome, but I’m now using the following as my slow/medium speed colour slide film:

- Fuji Velvia 50 or 100
- Kodak Ektachrome E100VS or E100G

Phil.

09-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stan8331 Quote
I still have several rolls of K64 in my fridge. Shooting them in the next couple of months is going to be a bittersweet sensation.

Maybe there are issues relating to scanning Kodachrome - I haven't gotten around to attempting to scan any of my old slides yet. But in terms of the raw image quality you get from viewing and printing the actual slides, no other color film I've seen comes anywhere close.

Kodak is being run into the ground by a bunch of imbeciles - "Let's take the one thing we make that's the very best in the world, and rather than trying to find new and inventive ways to use it to enhance our corporate brand, we'll just kill it since it's not currently making us much money."

Digital music was expected to kill vinyl records, but vinyl still readily available from many, many bands (a new LP from The Bouncing Souls arrived in my mailbox just yesterday). The same will be true for film - it will likely never again enjoy the predominant position it once held, but neither will it die. It's overly simplistic to make it an either/or proposition - I have CD's and vinyl records in my collection and likewise have both a digital and a film SLR. There are intangible but real benefits derived from using physical analog media that digital will never be able to fully match.
You're quite right. There are benefits to using analog media, for music, it captures the fullest range of sound, no frequency cut-off like with Mp3, and for photographic purposes, the larger, more sensitized film surface holds more detail in a larger format, which helps produce high-quality prints.

Film, then, will probably be very much like vinyl, not dominant, but popular with those who wish to work outside of digital's limitations, or who just enjoy simpler, analog technology.

Enjoy your LP, vinyl is the purest form of sound. (except for a live show)