Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Possessed K2, Suggestions?

I just bought a K2 and it arrived a few days ago. The batteries weren't even recognizable and the camera looks like it has taken more than just a few pictures. After opening it up and giving it a thorough cleaning the camera finally responded to a new set of batteries. There are a few quirks I'm having a hard time with though, and at this time I'm not ready to send it to Eric for a CLA, so I thought I'd bring them up and see if anybody has suggestions for repair.

1) The blue needle stays nearly-hidden at the top until the shutter speed dial reaches 60. At this point the needle comes to life and moves down to "Auto" and continues to climb down one at a time as the shutter speed dial is rotated. Once the dial reached B, the needle stops at 1/2s.

2) The mirror stays up indefinately after releasing the shutter when the shutter speed dial is set to Automatic. The mirror returns down only after moving the dial from Automatic to another speed.

3) The black needle does it's thing only when the camera isn't cocked. When pressing the shutter release button halfway the needle drops and moves up and down with varying amounts of light. Once the film advance lever is cocked, pressing the shutter button halfway immediately drops the needle to B in the viewfinder, with no movement in brighter light.

08-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
Banned

do you plan on using this camera often? honestly, I would suggest that you just bite the bullet and send it to Eric. I understand the feeling of not wanting to spend more money after just purchasing the body, but it will eventually need a proper service anyway, so you may as well just send it to Eric, before he retires. that way, your body should not need any maintenance for many, many years. I don’t know what the problem is with your k2. I don’t own one, so I don’t have any experience with the body. but in case you don’t have a copy, here is the manual http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/mf/pentax_k2_manual_s.pdf password:Pentax
08-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I just bought a K2 and it arrived a few days ago. The batteries weren't even recognizable and the camera looks like it has taken more than just a few pictures. After opening it up and giving it a thorough cleaning the camera finally responded to a new set of batteries. There are a few quirks I'm having a hard time with though, and at this time I'm not ready to send it to Eric for a CLA, so I thought I'd bring them up and see if anybody has suggestions for repair.

1) The blue needle stays nearly-hidden at the top until the shutter speed dial reaches 60. At this point the needle comes to life and moves down to "Auto" and continues to climb down one at a time as the shutter speed dial is rotated. Once the dial reached B, the needle stops at 1/2s.

2) The mirror stays up indefinately after releasing the shutter when the shutter speed dial is set to Automatic. The mirror returns down only after moving the dial from Automatic to another speed.

3) The black needle does it's thing only when the camera isn't cocked. When pressing the shutter release button halfway the needle drops and moves up and down with varying amounts of light. Once the film advance lever is cocked, pressing the shutter button halfway immediately drops the needle to B in the viewfinder, with no movement in brighter light.
1) I had the same problem with my K2DMD, the blue needle is out of sync. The blue needle is just a reminder of the current shutter speed, the camera will expose properly in manual mode according to what the shutter speed dial is set to. Just ignore the incorrect blue needle, Eric can fix it. Otherwise use Automatic mode.
2) Was your lens cap on? If so that is normal for the K2 and it is working as designed.
3) Looks like an issue with the meter switch, Eric can also fix it. You can still use the meter when the camera isn’t cocked, so I would run a couple test rolls through the camera and see what happens.

Then for sure send it to Eric.

Phil.
08-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the link. I won't use this camera too often, but will be rotated with some of my other film cameras.

Thanks for the info. The lens cap was off. I may just run a roll or two through it.

08-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote

Place it in a pentangle and dance around it counterclockwise while reading the instruction manual backwards
08-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is in dire need of a cla. The K2 costs about $10 than most bodies with exception of the LX.