Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
Inactive Account

promaster Spectrum 7

hi all...

i just joined this forum yesterday, and i'm happy to know there is a place for me to find more infos n learn new stuff about pentax slr.

i won a pentax spotmatic, (i have posted a pic of my pentax in the introduce yourself forum), and i have one extra lens that i'm not sure if i can use it for my Pentax spotmatic. the lens of this promaster spectrum 7 is a bayonet mount whereas my pentax is the screw mount. must i get an adapter for it? n if there is any, what is the exact adapter suitable for this lens. is this lens a good lens?

currently im using the TAKUMAR 1:3.5/36 mm lens for my pentax.

ur help is highly appreciated.

tq

08-12-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AFAIK you can't mount a k-mount lens on a Spotmatic, as it's simply too wide.

However, you can mount screwmount lenses on Pentax k-mount SLRs/DSLRs, so definitely keep that lens in case you get a newer Pentax body.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-12-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As to the lens (for Adam has told you everything regarding compatibility), there are several different lenses for Pentax made under the Promaster Spectrum 7 name. Most common are several consumer-grade zoom lenses (some of which, at least, were Sigma rebrands), which are okay, but not great lenses. If you want more info, let us know what the lens says on it as to its focal length and aperture. By the way, your Takumar is an excellent lens...
08-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks adam & mactak..

so i cant really use my promaster unless i buy the adapter?

08-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ariessa Quote
That is logically true.

The problem is that there currently is no adapter to mount a bayonet lens onto an M42 body.
08-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

K-mount lenses generally cannot be used on M42 screw mount bodies. The registration distance (mount to film) is the same, but the K-mount has a larger diameter. Adapters, if they exist, would require an additional optical element behind the lens to allow for infinity focus.

Steve
08-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
oh my god...what do i do with this lens then? what other brands of camera can fit it?

08-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
Forum Member

oh my god...what do i do with this lens then? what other brands of camera can fit it?
There are brands other than pentax that can use K-mount lenses: Ricoh, Chinon, Sears, Vivitar, Promaster. Usually you can win this on *bay for next to nothing. Do you research first before buying/placing a bid.
08-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You can use it to barter for something that you do want. The last Promaster that I found myself with was used to offset the cost of a CLA for the body it came with.

Steve
08-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks bro..i decided to give the lens to my cousin brother who is using the Pentax ME Super. he is kinda happy getting that lens. so problems solved.

thank u all