Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account

MZ-S serial numbers / age

I'm trying to acquire an MZ-S, and I'm wondering if anyone who owns that body can provide their serial number along with a guesstimate of the age of the device.

That would help me a lot in assessing the value of models I can't get my hands on before buying.

Thanks!

Creating a serial no./mfg. date table like this seems like an excellent idea in general for all Pentax gear.

08-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #2

MZ-S Age & S/N's

Hello QED,

I am interested in finding the same information. I have searched the forums and the net.

I've done a little bit of research - but so far nothing conclusive (can't seem to contact Pentax Japan by email - I'm not going to call them). My Aussie Pentax distributor can't shed any light either.

So far I have found this at Bojidar's site - MZ-S

So based on this the camera was in production from 2001 to 2005.

My first MZ-S has a S/N of 4845599. Got it from Canada.

My second MZ-S has a serial number of 5106316. Got it from the US.

As for the age of my cameras I assume the second one is the newest but at this stage I have no idea what year they were produced.

Perhaps someone else on the forum can enlighten us.

Cheers.

Rod.
08-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Thorolf Quote
Hello QED,
My first MZ-S has a S/N of 4845599. Got it from Canada.

My second MZ-S has a serial number of 5106316. Got it from the US.

As for the age of my cameras I assume the second one is the newest but at this stage I have no idea what year they were produced.
My MZ-S has a serial number of 4840179, but since I don't know anything about it's history I don't know when it was made. Didn't get the box or the original receipt with it.
08-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
QED
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've found this information from someone who has an MZ-S model with serial number 4620228:

QuoteQuote:
I put in my order for the camera at Samy's Camera in Los Angeles, before it was released to the public. I believe it was around 2001, or 2002.

08-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I have a silver MZ-S that I got from Frank. The serial number is 3307260. I guess that means I'm the winner!

edit: I don't have any other information about the camera other than Frank was not the original owner; who knows when it was made. I also contacted Pentax by email to try and see how many were made in silver, but they never got back to me with a response.

Last edited by Vertex Ninja; 08-20-2010 at 08:27 AM.
08-30-2010, 04:52 AM   #6

Vertex Ninjia - The Winner!

Hello all,

Vertex's MZ-S had a S/N of 3307260 - a lot lower than the S/N's on our cameras.

I wonder if that means it is older than ours, or it has a special S/N because it is one of the rarer silver editions?

Still trying to find out more, but it is a frustrating undertaking.

Rod.
08-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Thorolf Quote
Hello all,

Vertex's MZ-S had a S/N of 3307260 - a lot lower than the S/N's on our cameras.

I wonder if that means it is older than ours, or it has a special S/N because it is one of the rarer silver editions?

Still trying to find out more, but it is a frustrating undertaking.

Rod.
I'm thinking the latter. The spread in numbers seems too great to indicate age. If it were older, that would mean there were a whole heap of them sold, and we know this was not really a high volume camera. I'm also pretty certain the camera is not a US version; it came from Singapore and probably Japan before that... If that helps.

09-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #8
DAP

QuoteOriginally posted by QED Quote
I'm trying to acquire an MZ-S, and I'm wondering if anyone who owns that body can provide their serial number along with a guesstimate of the age of the device.

That would help me a lot in assessing the value of models I can't get my hands on before buying.

Thanks!

Creating a serial no./mfg. date table like this seems like an excellent idea in general for all Pentax gear.

I think it is going to be really hard to compile a database for the MZ-S. It wasn't made very long - depending on where you bought it (and how many they moved in a given amount of time) you could have easily received an early model (that was sitting on the shelf) even if you bought it towards the end of it's product life. In any case, it was a relatively short-lived model so it is unlikely that there were any significant design updates/changes that would make a later model any more valuable than an earlier one (other than the age of the seals/lube etc.). IMHO I would go for one in nice condition that has been used on a regular basis and forget about stressing over the serial number.