Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2010, 07:44 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

My short list of Must-have pentax Film cameras is the MX (fully manual everything, plus DoF Preview and Self Timer), Super Program (Manual focus, auto or manual exposure), and the PZ-1 (for all the bells and whistles, including super-fast AF and full program.

I would take the MX over a K1000 or similar because it shows all exposure data in the viewfinder, has the self-timer and DoF preview, and is much smaller and lighter (One of the smallest 35mm cameras I've ever held, actually.)

The Super Program is my favorite film body. Period.

The PZ-1 has the super-fast shutter and flash-sync speeds (even faster X-sync than a K-7!) and has the AF and auto-winding the other cameras lack.

08-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Out of my eight Pentax film cameras I find myself using the K1000 and MX the most. Those are my two favorite. I do like the Super Program quite a bit and the viewfinder light helps when it's darker outside.

The K1000 was my first SLR so I'm biased toward that one as a favorite, but my first personal rule of film cameras is there has to be an all-manual mode. If I'm not using "modern" digital, it seems weird to me to use an automatic mode with film (but then again I should mention the only automatic mode I've ever used on my K10D is aperture-priority). My second rule for film is no plastic bodies.

If CBA is setting in, there's a Gold LX for sale on e-bay right now, only $6,850. Pentax-LX-24K-GOLD-SPECIAL-VERSION-50mm-f-1-2. That would be a good film camera to start with!
08-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
My short list of Must-have pentax Film cameras is the MX (fully manual everything, plus DoF Preview and Self Timer), Super Program (Manual focus, auto or manual exposure), and the PZ-1 (for all the bells and whistles, including super-fast AF and full program.

I would take the MX over a K1000 or similar because it shows all exposure data in the viewfinder, has the self-timer and DoF preview, and is much smaller and lighter (One of the smallest 35mm cameras I've ever held, actually.)

The PZ-1 has the super-fast shutter and flash-sync speeds (even faster X-sync than a K-7!) and has the AF and auto-winding the other cameras lack.
Well I'll see how the Program Plus goes and if I feel I'd like the extra features of the Super Program I can always pick one of those up too. One nice things about CBA vs LBA is that overall it seem a bit less expensive. Also, since the bodies aren't that expensive (with a few exception), I can see taking a few out at a time, maybe with different lenses and/or film in them.

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Out of my eight Pentax film cameras I find myself using the K1000 and MX the most. Those are my two favorite. I do like the Super Program quite a bit and the viewfinder light helps when it's darker outside.

The K1000 was my first SLR so I'm biased toward that one as a favorite, but my first personal rule of film cameras is there has to be an all-manual mode. If I'm not using "modern" digital, it seems weird to me to use an automatic mode with film (but then again I should mention the only automatic mode I've ever used on my K10D is aperture-priority). My second rule for film is no plastic bodies.

If CBA is setting in, there's a Gold LX for sale on e-bay right now, only $6,850. Pentax-LX-24K-GOLD-SPECIAL-VERSION-50mm-f-1-2. That would be a good film camera to start with!
I actually saw that gold LX a little while back. I think if I was going to do something that crazy I would actually prefer the combo that comes with the silver A50/1.2 that looks like the FA limiteds.
08-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Yep, the gold one kind of looks like a thug's camera, especially with the leather, while the Titan or 2000 silver one looks really nice.

08-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The easiest way to recognize a K1000 made in China is the lack of the AOCo engraving on the pentaprism.

Chris
I thought that it was the made in China tag

08-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Ok, so I got a little impulsive and just bought a Super Program Program Plus. This should come as no surprise to anyone who knows me... I can be a bit implusive when it comes to LBA and now I suppose CBA

Anyway, here's what I bought. Probably could have held out and tried to find a better deal, but this one looked nice and for $90 including an A50/1.7 (which is probably worth almost that much anyway) I figured I'd give it a shot
Congrats its a nice score for $90. The camera looks like its in nice condition too. I shot with a program plus (almost exclusively) for about 5 years, until I was subsidized into the digit age by Grandpa when I had my first baby, and it never let me down. It took beautiful shots. My only frustration was the button shutter speed controls and the metering. But the way that I look it I usually shoot in aperture priority anyway. When you get it going post some pics!

Take care
08-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Although I have no experience with a PZ-1, definate +1 on the MX and Super Program. I use both and would recommend them any day.

09-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #38
Inactive Account

Nice! i have three of them. their worth it.
09-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #39
Inactive Account

there's nothing wrong with your choice here...
09-02-2010, 03:23 AM   #40
Pentaxian

why a K1000? make it a KX which has a lot more features
- mirror lock-up
- DOF preview
- on/off switch
- Great viewfinder info

09-02-2010, 03:47 AM   #41

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
- mirror lock-up
- DOF preview
- on/off switch
- Great viewfinder info
That's what I shoot with. I got it free through family, hasn't failed me yet!
09-02-2010, 05:17 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I've been using a DSLR for about 6 years now, and have zero experience with film SLR cameras. However, over the past year I've accumulated a rather nice collection of Pentax glass, most of which could be used well with film. I would like to try shooting some film, probably B+W, and was wondering if you guys had a recommendation for a good camera to start with.

For what it's worth, I actually already have a like-new ZX-50 (w/ grip) and a couple of older manual focus cameras, the K1000 and ME (all of these I got when I bought lenses that came with bodies). I ran an old, expired roll of film through the ZX-50 to make sure it worked and other than the color and grain looking a little off, it seems to function fine.

Anyway, I guess my question is are there features on other film bodies beyond what the ZX-50 has that would be worth looking into or should I just stick with it to start? Seeing as the film and processing is going to cost me a couple bucks anyway, I don't mind spending a little more on film body if it offered specific things that would be worth having. Again, I'm pretty uninformed when it comes to film SLR, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Given what you have, the only camera that you should look at is the PZ-1 or PZ-1p

Others have already addressed the shutter, but the other thing to consider is it has all the functions of your dslrs, and can use in all modes, true K mount lenses, because it retains the aperture coupling, and can also use all newer lenses which lack aperture rings.

The only lenses it cant use are HSM lenses.

It was the mainstay of my system from 1991 until I got my *istD, and even then, I still used it for wide angle shots with the FA-J 18-35 F4-5.6 that came with my *istD because the FA-J was a full frame, and at 18mm on film, is really wide.

I used the PZ-1 and *istD as a pair until I got a sigma 10-20mm ultra wide, then the PZ-1 was semi retired.

Note, the PZ-1 can also work with Non ASP-C format lenses, and in most cases these lenses can cover the full frame. I checked my sigma 10-20 and by 13mm there is no vignetting in the viewfinder on my PZ-1.
09-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
- mirror lock-up
- DOF preview
- on/off switch
- Great viewfinder info
How about price for a starter? If cost is an option, a KM is the best value in the K series cameras.

Steve

(Love my KX, but those extra features drive the price way up...)
09-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #44
Pentaxian

To be honest the difference with the K1000 is not big
I got mine for 40 with 3 lenses, while K1000s do not go for less than a 100

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How about price for a starter? If cost is an option, a KM is the best value in the K series cameras.

Steve

(Love my KX, but those extra features drive the price way up...)
09-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Brother has my k1000, I, his chainsaw dont know if we're square or not.
bought 1976, never used that much, other than some macro/close-up
stuff, and B/W stuff that I could process at home as I learned.
ME spr had a bigger impact on me, than K1000, bought my first when they shipped,
another used one around '86. Remember buying 2nd, it seems MX came out after
the ME, when I picked up 2nd, seen MX first time, to be honest, that was really what
I wanted all along. Never did anything about it, Last ME gave up "ghost" this week.
(Shutter sticks.R.I.P.) Have ZX-m that I bought in '98 or '99 as backup to backup.
Its my front runner now, and Im a little indifferent to it. Barebones, DOF preview
a good thing, pretty much sums it up for that.

Did it all over, MX's , had married that one chick, LX's for sure