Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rubber Eye-cup Identification

I have two styles of rubber eye-cups that fit my “K” series film bodies. The smaller one on the right (43mm wide) is the “K” series accessory “Eyecup II”, so no questions on that one.

The bigger eye-cup on the left (47mm wide) also fits the “K” series film bodies perfectly and does not have an “M” marked on it to identify it as an “M” series accessory. (The “M” version would also have a larger viewfinder opening.)

Both eye-cups have “Asahi Pentax” marked on the top and “Japan” on the bottom.

I’m thinking it’s a screw-mount eye-cup, can anyone verify this? It would be a little surprising that Pentax changed the eye-cup size when they released the “K” series version, as most of the screw-mount viewfinder accessories were just repackaged as “K” series accessories. (Refconverter, magnifier)

Thanks, Phil.

Attached Images

09-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm. Well, I have the Eyecup-M, and though there's no M mark on it, it's only about 40mm in diameter. (Actually, I happen to have an original box, and 47mm would be a bit of a tight fit in there.)

I suppose I'd guess it must be the older size: I think the actual change in eepiece sizes was before the M series stuff?
09-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use original Canon A series eyecups on my M and K series Pentax bodies.
They are a softer rubber and seem to stay on better.
And unlike Pentax eyecups they are cheap and plentiful.

Chris
09-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hrm. Well, I have the Eyecup-M, and though there's no M mark on it, it's only about 40mm in diameter. (Actually, I happen to have an original box, and 47mm would be a bit of a tight fit in there.)

I suppose I'd guess it must be the older size: I think the actual change in eepiece sizes was before the M series stuff?
Thanks for checking, I'll assume it's an older screw-mount eyecup.

Phil.

09-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Chris, I have a question about the Canon A series: if the eyecups fit, does that mean that a Canon A-series diopter corrector will work on a Pentax K-series camera also?
09-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mblanc Quote
Chris, I have a question about the Canon A series: if the eyecups fit, does that mean that a Canon A-series diopter corrector will work on a Pentax K-series camera also?
Possibly not: the rubber eyecups are stretch-to-fit, but the diopters are not. I've got Canon FD stuff, though: I don't think I have any rigid eyepiece accessories to test-fit, but I could go measure: Canons'll be a bit bigger and more rectangular than the ME finders, so they may or may not fit loosely, or with a little help.

Oh, umm, maybe they'd adapt a bit better on a K-series, I wasn't paying enough attention. But I don't have a K-series body to measure.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-09-2010 at 04:21 PM.
09-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RML is correct.
The Canon eyecups must be stretched a bit to fit a Pentax.
I doubt a Canon diopter will fit.

Chris

09-10-2010, 04:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you both!