Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #16

Original Poster
It definitely seems EX+ to me, but keep in mind I'm just judging by appearance and how flawless the exterior is. I don't know what exactly to look for.

What kind of film should i buy to run through it?

09-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That's what the online estimator says. They pay $129 for a Honeywell Spot F in EX+ condition and $99 for a SMC Tak 1.4 in EX+ condition. Looking at the picture from the OP it looks EX+ to me.
KEH is very conservative with their rating system because they sell these things with one of the best warranties on used gear that you will find. That's why the auto-estimator likely rates a little high.
09-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tynmdys Quote
It definitely seems EX+ to me, but keep in mind I'm just judging by appearance and how flawless the exterior is. I don't know what exactly to look for.

I pointed you in a direction in my first post, maybe you missed that? either way the film is of no real matter. just buy whatever is cheapest at your local supermarket or drugstore.
09-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Any film you want. I guess something like Kodak Gold 200 is easy to find and you can still get processed at a lot of drug stores.

09-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I pointed you in a direction in my first post, maybe you missed that? either way the film is of no real matter. just buy whatever is cheapest at your local supermarket or drugstore.

Sorry, I did miss it. I was on my iPhone. I'll go pick some up at Wal-Greens and take some pictures.
09-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't sell that camera. Sure, you might pick up 150$ or so, and yea, that's a decent chunk of change, but if it belonged to a family member then it might have some sentimental value, not to mention it's a GREAT camera, with an EVEN BETTER lens. The 1.4 50mm Takumar is a really sharp, fast lens. Definitely worth keeping.
09-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #22

Original Poster
Know what? You're probably right. I have been reading through the manual (thanks for the link) and loaded it, learned most of the settings, and I'm intrigued. I'll fersure be considering keeping it. I took it out of it's old leather case, and the silver is virtually scratchless. The film bay also looks like it's never seen film, but I don't know.

It definitely holds sentimental value, my grandfather was the one who raised me. We'll see how I like it when I go out for some pictures tomorrow. It's kinda sad that with this nice lens and the perfect condition that it's only worth around $150 though.

09-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

..It's kinda sad that with this nice lens and the perfect condition that it's only worth around $150 though.
That is just sort of the way it is. There are some manual film bodies from the '70s that retain greater value (e.g. Nikon FM), but for the most part prices are fairly low. Part of that is because almost all require some minimal level of service (new seals and calibration) to bring them to full functionality. The other aspect is that demand, outside of enthusiasts and collectors is relatively low. Your camera might be worth considerably more to the right collector on the right day of the week, but as a "daily user", the body by itself is worth about $45-$60 and the lens about $100+.

The idea of keeping it as a heirloom in memory of your grandfather is an excellent one. Learning how to use it is an even better idea!

One small tip regarding the case. I use a similar Pentax leather case for my model KX and found that it responded really well to being dressed with black paste-type shoe polish (Kiwi). The leather is very high quality and is not unlike the pebble-grain material used on quality men's shoes. The polish will renew the finish and provide a degree of moisture resistance.

Steve
09-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
I wouldn't sell that camera. Sure, you might pick up 150$ or so, and yea, that's a decent chunk of change, but if it belonged to a family member then it might have some sentimental value, not to mention it's a GREAT camera, with an EVEN BETTER lens. The 1.4 50mm Takumar is a really sharp, fast lens. Definitely worth keeping.
Absolutely correct....I agree 100%.....Keep the camera.....which is a classic, shoot some film, and think of your Grand-Pa. That is what I would do anyway.
Cheers, Pickles.
09-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I suggest reading the manual, and maybe going back to your photographer friend, and have him go out with you when you run your first roll of film through it. He can tell you what each setting does to affect the photo. And PLEASE, do not sell that camera. Learn to use it, and when you are an old man, you can give it to YOUR grandson. If you take care of it, it'll be fine....
09-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #26

Original Poster
I've taken a few pics with it, a few family members, the girlfriend, the dogs, the basics. I'm excited to see how they turn out, but i've gotta finish the roll first. I'll see that photographer tomorrow and get some pointers.
09-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #27

Original Poster
Pentax Spotmatic F photos pictures by shadowschool - Photobucket

I ran a roll through. Don't be too harsh on me, I've never used a camera besides point-and-shoot.
Opinions welcome!
09-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Well, it looks like the camera is functioning properly, so that's good. I'd say for your first try with "old school" tech, you did very well !!! I know my first roll of film with my Ricoh KR-5 wasn't as good as yours !!
09-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #29

Original Poster
Hey, thanks man! I've got a LOT to learn, but I know you guys are great so I'm feeling confident that I can get a LOT better than I am lol.
09-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Nothing at all wrong with those shots.
But, what should give you additional pleasure of use with your Spotmatic F, is that you are using an absolute classic 35mm Film camera, & that it belonged to your Grand Pa......gotta be happy with that.
Keep us posted with your further progress......and, I have to mention, they were posted up on the forum in a most professional manner....something I've yet to learn!!...how did you do it?
Cheers, Pickles.