Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tynmdys Quote
Pentax Spotmatic F photos pictures by shadowschool - Photobucket

I ran a roll through. Don't be too harsh on me, I've never used a camera besides point-and-shoot.
Opinions welcome!
That is a good first outing!

09-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Yes, some of those shots are quite good! Especially a few of the young lady, she seems more inclined to be photographed than the older lady. :-) With more practice, more of the pictures will fall into the better range, but I would say you are on the right track. Have fun!
09-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
Nothing at all wrong with those shots.
But, what should give you additional pleasure of use with your Spotmatic F, is that you are using an absolute classic 35mm Film camera, & that it belonged to your Grand Pa......gotta be happy with that.
Keep us posted with your further progress......and, I have to mention, they were posted up on the forum in a most professional manner....something I've yet to learn!!...how did you do it?
Cheers, Pickles.

Hey, thanks man! What you have to do to put photos up without a link is find the direct link to them, and click the image button on the reply form, and put the direct link in there. I'm guessing thats what you're asking anyway lol.

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I think i'm keeping this thing!
09-12-2010, 05:24 AM   #34
Banned

damn fine for a first try! you should be proud, and happy. you still have any thoughts on selling it? I kind of knew if you ran a roll through and saw the results you would likely change your mind. you have a great, properly functioning camera and an excellent lens. I say have fun and take lots of photos!

09-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I think i'm keeping this thing!
The light meter looks like it is working just fine. Yes, it's a keeper! Now you're gonna want more lenses!
09-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The light meter looks like it is working just fine. Yes, it's a keeper! Now you're gonna want more lenses!
Just remember that to get open aperture metering, you will need S-M-C or SMC Takumar lenses. There are also a few oddball Super Taks that have the linkages as well.

Regarding the meter, remember to keep a lens cover on it when not in use because the meter will be on all the time otherwise.
09-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #37

Original Poster
Awesome. Thanks guys! I'll remember that about the lenses and lens cover. I really like this camera.

09-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #38
Inactive Account

Pentax Spotmatic F photos pictures by shadowschool - Photobucket

I ran a roll through. Don't be too harsh on me, I've never used a camera besides point-and-shoot.
Opinions welcome!
This camera would be a good opportunity to learn to decipher what the meter is telling you. Most of your photos look over exposed but still not a bad start. You also have the same habit I have. With people, even at a distance, you aim for the face and surroundings be damned. The result is a lot of distant upper torso shots. If My photos were the only record of human existence for the future, one would think people had no legs or feet in the 20th and 21st centuries.

If you're truly interested in learning how to use this camera (grandpa would probably be thrilled), get a book on exposure, get out your point and shoot, along with the Spot F, and learn to contol exposure. Get a handle on that and I'll guarantee you that the photos from the Spotmatic F, will blow away anything you've ever done with the point and shoot.

09-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #39
Pentaxian

JeffJS makes some good points. I'm a firm believer that photography by rules are rules that can be broken. But some just hold the test of time. If we borrow from the movie industry, the classical rules of never cut a person off at the waist or ankles is a good one to keep in mind.

Some of those over exposed backgrounds are unavoidable if you wanted the subjects face to be not too dark without doing post processing in an image editor.
09-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You did very well with your first roll. I liked the shot of the black dog on the patio. The focus was nailed and the out-of-focus background brought the dog out even more. Good job.

On top of reading the manual and playing with a few rolls, take a look at this site: Aperture, shutter and ISO value | SLR Camera Simulator, it should help you get want you want a little more out of your next roll of film. And if it hasn't been mentioned before, keep the camera!
09-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote

Cool simulator!

Steve
09-14-2010, 05:29 AM   #42

Original Poster
Very cool simulator. Also, you make great points and I appreciate it, Jeff. Looking through the roll, I see that you're exactly right. I'll work on that. I guess the reason I did it was because the face seems to be really easy to focus on. I'll work on it.

Also, I really liked the photo of the dog on the patio too. I thought that one turned out well. That one and the one of my aunt in front of the tree in the beginning, if only I had aimed it lower and not on her face.

You guys are great. You really are.

Last edited by tynmdys; 09-14-2010 at 05:35 AM.
09-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #43
Veteran Member

My heart is warmed to see how you've taken to your grandpa's old camera. I'm really, really happy I read this thread.

I started photography almost 2 years ago with just a Pentax K1000 and a 50mm F/2. You've got a great beginner setup, and shooting a manual camera like a Spottie-F will give you real insight into exactly what settings do what to the picture. That 1.4 lens is something people buy to stick on their digital SLRs!

Great first roll, too. A lot better than mine. You're a natural!

Enjoy it, and if you ever have questions, ask us.
09-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #44
Inactive Account

Very cool simulator. Also, you make great points and I appreciate it, Jeff. Looking through the roll, I see that you're exactly right. I'll work on that. I guess the reason I did it was because the face seems to be really easy to focus on. I'll work on it.

Also, I really liked the photo of the dog on the patio too. I thought that one turned out well. That one and the one of my aunt in front of the tree in the beginning, if only I had aimed it lower and not on her face.

You guys are great. You really are.
It IS really easy to focus on. So much so that as I said, I do the exact same thing. With closer shots, that's fine but on distant ones, the People, tend to get lost in the background. With half the photo being filled with tree tops and sky and then, Oh, There's Aunt Millie in the picture Too! You can focus on the face and then before you snap the photo, Aim down some.

You can't go wrong with dog photos if you have a dog that will stand still long enough to take a picture of her..

Keep shooting, it can only get better.

Last edited by JeffJS; 09-14-2010 at 06:49 AM.
09-14-2010, 06:41 AM   #45

Original Poster
Thanks Unix, I'm really glad I kept it.

Yeah, that dog never stands still. It was a lucky shot, she just happened to look up right at that moment. I'm going to get better with the distant shots, promise!