Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On an MZ-S, or a P30 for that matter, with a DA lens or aperture-ringless equivalent 3rd party lens, you can set the shutter speed and let the body pick the aperture. On the MZ-S, you know what that is and can modify it by exposure compensation. On a P30, it just does it.

09-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
On an MZ-S, or a P30 for that matter, with a DA lens or aperture-ringless equivalent 3rd party lens, you can set the shutter speed and let the body pick the aperture. On the MZ-S, you know what that is and can modify it by exposure compensation. On a P30, it just does it.
As I said, Before I knew. It may have even been you who pointed that out to me before.

09-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
I think the OP said his sister has a P3, which is Manual, Auto, or Av only, not shutter priority, so you are restricted to auto operation with a DA or FA-J lens due to the lack of aperture ring.
10-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Hi, I'm brand new, have the opposite question.

I just got a 50mm lens off a pentax K1000. it fits my DSLR (k100 d super) but doesn't fire. F-- is blinking next to "140"

what's going on? I'm trying to muddle my way through the internet about it but I'm very basic when it comes to lenses, thanks!

10-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

@theonlycara - You have to set an option in the camera's custom function menu to something along the lines of "allow shutter release using lens with aperture ring"

See here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
10-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Name:  18mm.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  75.5 KB

Name:  55mm.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  89.6 KBA couple of quick and dirty scans (rather vintage Plus-X) at 18 and 55mm with the with the DA AL II kit lens mounted on an SF1. Usable in all auto exposure modes from what I can tell.
Interesting effect at the 18mm. Pretty much covers at 55mm, but you'd be much better off with a standard lens, unless you don't need anything faster than f5.6.

Last edited by c a sugg; 10-15-2010 at 07:34 PM. Reason: corrected film type
10-16-2010, 01:05 AM   #22
Veteran Member

@c a sugg - The coverage at 18mm will be somewhat better if you remove the lens hood.

10-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Yeah the kit lens will work on film from about 24-55mm. I got rid of my F 24-50 zoom when I discovered this, all though in truth I don't think I've shot any film pics with the 18-55.
10-19-2010, 04:53 AM   #24

I use the DA40 on my MZ-S all the time with great results. And no vignetting issues. Though I use it in shutter priority mode, I believe it can be used in program mode. And only certain lenses will work well, as another poster mentioned. I don't know the specs of the P3, but if it doesn't have shutter priority or program mode, I'd say you're out of luck.
10-19-2010, 05:50 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While there is not an extensive list, I had some discussions with Ole last year about having a body compatibility matrix. i.e. what functions back and forward were retained with each type of lens vs each camera.

I have used all my lens types on my PZ-1 for example, with no issues.

My FA-J lens is fine in all modes, including Av mode and M mode because I can dial aperture with the thumbwheels,

My Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 EX DC wirks just fine as well, but vignetts below 13mm, that's ok because 13mm is awfully wide on full frame.

In general there are 3 issues with using new lenses on old bodies.

1) aperture control, & metering. K mount bodies (no contacts) will be unable to do anything other than stopped down shots because there is no aperture ring and the lens defaults to stopped down. As there is also no aperture coupling, the camera meter will be screwed up because it won't know that aperture the lens is at.

2) vignetting caused by the lens hood and filters. Lenses designed specifically for the ASP-C sensor may vignett simply because the lens hood is designed for a narrower FOV. The same is true of the filter ring. It's diameter and placement is based upon being clear of the FOV for ASP-C sensors, and may not be correct for full frame. the solution is easy, remove the hood and the filter.

3) real vignetting, due to the image circle of the lens being too small. Let's face it, an ASP-C lens is not required to project over the image circle of a full frame camera, and some, specifically but not exclusively in the ultra wide region, lenses may fall a little short.

Specific bodies may have other restrictions in terms of which modes are allowed, simply because of the camera design. some cameras don't have manual mode, or Tv mode etc.....
10-19-2010, 05:51 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
@c a sugg - The coverage at 18mm will be somewhat better if you remove the lens hood.
Also the filter