Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax-Fuji lens issues

Hello,
I'm in need of some advice. Right now I have the opportunity to purchase either a Pentax H1 or a Fuji ST701, as a backup body to my spotmatic. The H1 will cost me approximately 50. The Fuji is 9$ but has a bad meter and needs foam. The H1 has no meter, period (Most of you probably knew), and good foam. Still, it's not easy to reach a decision. I've heard some Fuji cameras/lenses had some kind of extra pin that can cause issues on Pentax equipment, and I don't believe the H1 will stop the lens down to shooting aperture. So, basically, I'm concerned that the Fuji may mangle/not mount lenses, but it's cheap. The S is more expensive, by a lot, but doesn't, to my knowledge, stop down. I shoot a spotmatic, so I'm familiar with the basics of early pentax cameras (I also shot with the sightseer), but I'm not as acquainted with Fuji. Added to my dilemna, the same seller who has the Fuji has a Chinon CS with an untested meter for 14$. I've been looking to buy a friend an m42 camera, and this might be a good opportunity to do it, since the Chinon is cheap, and if it's in really bad shape I can always give them the Fujica. I could have a backup body for me AND a gift for my friend for UNDER the price of the SV. Still, I have no experience with Chinon equipment. Basically, which of these cameras would YOU buy, in my situation?

09-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm fairly sure you can get a Spotmatic or SPII body off eBay for the $50. Why mess with a different body as a backup? Unless you want to try a different camera of course.

I just bought a Spotmatic SPII with a 55mm f/1.8 for $30 at an estate sale.
09-26-2010, 02:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I'm fairly sure you can get a Spotmatic or SPII body off eBay for the $50. Why mess with a different body as a backup? Unless you want to try a different camera of course.

I just bought a Spotmatic SPII with a 55mm f/1.8 for $30 at an estate sale.
Yea, the spotties are great, but I want something a little bit different. One of the things I love about m42 is cross-brand compatibility. Besides, picking up two bodies for under 30 is just so tempting...
Mainly I'm trying to make sure that Fuji and Chinon didn't have massive QC issues, or anything like that.
09-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The Fujicas are good cameras, and I'm not aware of any problems with them.
However, their electronics are more fragile than Spotties, so I'd buy a 2nd Spotmatic instead
All of them end up needing foam seal anyway,

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
Hello,
I'm in need of some advice. Right now I have the opportunity to purchase either a Pentax H1 or a Fuji ST701, as a backup body to my spotmatic. The H1 will cost me approximately 50. The Fuji is 9$ but has a bad meter and needs foam. The H1 has no meter, period (Most of you probably knew), and good foam. Still, it's not easy to reach a decision. I've heard some Fuji cameras/lenses had some kind of extra pin that can cause issues on Pentax equipment, and I don't believe the H1 will stop the lens down to shooting aperture. So, basically, I'm concerned that the Fuji may mangle/not mount lenses, but it's cheap. The S is more expensive, by a lot, but doesn't, to my knowledge, stop down. I shoot a spotmatic, so I'm familiar with the basics of early pentax cameras (I also shot with the sightseer), but I'm not as acquainted with Fuji. Added to my dilemna, the same seller who has the Fuji has a Chinon CS with an untested meter for 14$. I've been looking to buy a friend an m42 camera, and this might be a good opportunity to do it, since the Chinon is cheap, and if it's in really bad shape I can always give them the Fujica. I could have a backup body for me AND a gift for my friend for UNDER the price of the SV. Still, I have no experience with Chinon equipment. Basically, which of these cameras would YOU buy, in my situation?

09-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
Hello,
I have been given a Fuji ST901 with 50mm lens. The lens will not mount on my K10d with the Pentax Mount adapter K well enough to seat fully. There are some things in the mount's electronic connections that are in the way. I will not force my camera just to try out an old lens. The lens will not mount on my Spotmatic F either. I'm not sure if the ST701 uses the same mount as the ST901, but I would exercise caution.
09-29-2010, 03:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The ST701 was Fuji's first screw mount camera, so I believe it predates the Fuji Locking Pin that causes problems with a K mount body. The ST701 uses a mercury battery, and it seems there's a glitch: using a higher voltage battery jams the meter circuit so it looks like the meter is inop. Putting in a Wein cell may fix that.

The Fujis in general have brighter viewfinders than Pentaxes, I also like their stop-down button - you push/squeeze with your right hand rather than mess with a sliding switch as on a Spottie. One would make a nice change-of-pace body to a Spotmatic.

Fujica ST701 M42 SLR (1971) - Hermanland Classic Camera

Here's an ad from '73 by the way- click through to flickr and there's a very large and legible copy available

10-03-2010, 12:51 AM   #7

The ST701 has a plain screw mount and will take any plain screw mount lens, like a Super-Takumar. The 801, 901, etc. will also take them, and meter stopped down. The back of the lens will depress the lock pin on the the body along with a secondary pin that tells the body a non-meter-coupled lens is attached. I have not heard of any problem with SMC Takumars.

The interference problem comes when meter-coupled lenses like the EBC Fujinons are mounted on cameras with wide front flanges, like the K-mount cameras. This is caused by a small lug at the back of the aperture ring that contacts the open-aperture ring that encircles the Fujica lens mount on the 801, 901, etc. The lug can be removed, though that would turn the lens into a stop-down-metering only lens.

Last edited by lxdude; 10-09-2010 at 01:39 PM.
10-03-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The Fujica camera will work with the pentax lenses and viseversa. However, if you are looking at metering with the camera I suggest you look elsewhere as the battery needed is not a standard one and will be hard to find a replacement. I personally own a ST605N and ST701. Electronically they both work just the battery for the ST701 is hard to find in my area. However I must say my 50mm f1.8 lens that came with the ST701 is a very nice lens.
10-17-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Takumar 50mm 1.4 lens may not work on all cameras. It won't even work on all Pentax cameras because the rear element sticks out too far. I think that the rewind knob on the Pentax camera needs to have a red R on it to be able to use the 1.4 lens (look at your spotmatic manual to be sure-or check the manual on the Pentax website). I knew someone whose 1.4 was damaged by putting it on another brand camera.
10-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I had an SP-F and an ST801. I had SMC Takumars, no Fujinon lenses. I honestly don't remember stopping down to meter, although I probably had to, but I'm pretty sure there were no issues with my 17/3.5 vivitar, and 28/3.5, 35/3.5, 50/1.4, 135/3.5 or 200/4 takumars on the ST801.

Paul